New Edition coming from Mongoose

"This is Free Trader Beowulf...Mayday..." "Hang in there, Beowulf. Help is on the way..."
The Book-House: Find Traveller products.

New Edition coming from Mongoose

Postby Havard » Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:45 pm

The following was posted today on the Mongoose Facebook page:

Tomorrow afternoon (September 4th, UK time) will see the first appearance of a new Traveller, the product of many years tweaking, adjusting and listening to the thousands of players who have travelled the universe of the Far Future.

So what can you expect?

You will be able to dive into the new Traveller with the Beta Rulebook PDF. It will be a mere $20 on DrivethruRPG and we’ll return that $20 to you in the form of a voucher when the final Core Rulebook is released in early 2016. You will also be getting a veritable host of goodies and a chance to influence other Traveller books including High Guard, the vehicle Handbook and the Central Supply Catalogue throughout the playtest period.

So, what can you expect to see in the new Traveller? These are just a few of the tweaks we have made;

* The last edition rested heavily on the minimalist approach of Classic Traveller – the new edition has all the bells and whistles you expect from a modern RPG. From isometric deck plans to flow charts that walk you through character creation and ship design, from subsector maps to equipment pages that look as though they come straight from a space-based mail order catalogue, we have spent months striving to make the new Traveller not only look the best it can, but also to use these graphics to help it play better on the table top.

* A fully integrated combat system that seamlessly moves between Travellers, vehicles and ships. You can now fly your Corsair through a system, destroy the orbiting defence stations, then descend into the atmosphere to dogfight the aerospace fighters. A critical hit system for ships and vehicles allows you knock out vital systems in your opponent’s craft, while an expanded action system will give everyone on board something to do in battle.

* Power systems for ships - starship captains will now be worrying about the amount of Power available to them. In most situations, it will not be a factor (and this will not intrude on gameplay) but if you overload a trader with high-powered weaponry or take damage to your power plant, you’ll be screaming down the comms to your engineer to give you more power!

* We have made changes to the way animals are handled, making their creation a thing of simplicity for referees; come up with a concept for your creature, assign Hits and Attacks, then add Traits and you are done. The Traits for animals handle special abilities such as heightened senses or psionic capability and we will be adding to them in future supplements – especially useful as they are also used for alien species, forming another common bond within the mechanics of the game.

Strap yourselves in and start the countdown - the new Traveller makes its first appearance tomorrow!

Source:

Not sure how I feel about a departure from the minimalist feel of Classic Traveller, but at least Traveller keeps getting support which is a good thing :)

-Havard

The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Re: New Edition coming from Mongoose

Postby Angel Tarragon » Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:20 pm

Hmm. Sounds interesting.
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Postby DMMike » Fri Sep 04, 2015 12:31 am

Havard wrote:The following was posted today on the Mongoose Facebook page:

Tomorrow afternoon (September 4th, UK time) will see the first appearance of a new Traveller, the product of many years tweaking, adjusting and listening to the thousands of players who have travelled the universe of the Far Future.

So what can you expect?

You will be able to dive into the new Traveller with the Beta Rulebook PDF. It will be a mere $20 on DrivethruRPG and we’ll return that $20 to you in the form of a voucher when the final Core Rulebook is released in early 2016. You will also be getting a veritable host of goodies and a chance to influence other Traveller books including High Guard, the vehicle Handbook and the Central Supply Catalogue throughout the playtest period.

So, what can you expect to see in the new Traveller? These are just a few of the tweaks we have made;

* The last edition rested heavily on the minimalist approach of Classic Traveller – the new edition has all the bells and whistles you expect from a modern RPG. From isometric deck plans to flow charts that walk you through character creation and ship design, from subsector maps to equipment pages that look as though they come straight from a space-based mail order catalogue, we have spent months striving to make the new Traveller not only look the best it can, but also to use these graphics to help it play better on the table top.

* A fully integrated combat system that seamlessly moves between Travellers, vehicles and ships. You can now fly your Corsair through a system, destroy the orbiting defence stations, then descend into the atmosphere to dogfight the aerospace fighters. A critical hit system for ships and vehicles allows you knock out vital systems in your opponent’s craft, while an expanded action system will give everyone on board something to do in battle.

* Power systems for ships - starship captains will now be worrying about the amount of Power available to them. In most situations, it will not be a factor (and this will not intrude on gameplay) but if you overload a trader with high-powered weaponry or take damage to your power plant, you’ll be screaming down the comms to your engineer to give you more power!

* We have made changes to the way animals are handled, making their creation a thing of simplicity for referees; come up with a concept for your creature, assign Hits and Attacks, then add Traits and you are done. The Traits for animals handle special abilities such as heightened senses or psionic capability and we will be adding to them in future supplements – especially useful as they are also used for alien species, forming another common bond within the mechanics of the game.

Strap yourselves in and start the countdown - the new Traveller makes its first appearance tomorrow!

Source:

Not sure how I feel about a departure from the minimalist feel of Classic Traveller, but at least Traveller keeps getting support which is a good thing :)

-Havard

Hm. Me too. This sounds like a move to a MegaTraveller wich will be fine for some folks. I wonder if supplements/etc. will be backwards compatible? The Animal creation system is honestly the only thing there I'm interested in.

But you're right, at least Traveller is continuing. I just wish the comment about "modern RPGs" didn't give me a shiver of fear... :P

Mike
DMMike
Orc

Postby BlackBat242 » Fri Sep 04, 2015 5:41 am

Mechwarrior-influenced Traveller edition? :mrgreen:
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.
"I have a catapult. Give me your money or I will hurl a large rock at your head".

"Buffy, Blade... its up to you now." George Takei

The only time a Vampire should sparkle is right before they explode
BlackBat242
Dire Haggis

Location: by the saline water - formerly in the Grand Valley of the Rivers

Postby Boneguard » Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:00 am

Interesting, that's why Prime Directive: Traveller got delayed.

I'm not sure how I feel about those changes, some are intriguing but I love the minimalist approch of Traveller (maybe because I still use Classic Traveller though).

Hopefully it can be easily converted back if we need to.
Roleplaying is not a Hobby...it's a Way of Life.

Consolidated projet thread
Boneguard
Frost Giant

Postby Havard » Fri Sep 04, 2015 3:26 pm

If modern means more in the line of Mega Traveller I have no problem with it as this was my first experience with the Traveller Universe anyway.

Is this Mongoose RPG a separate thing from whatever Marc Miller is doing these days?

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Canageek » Fri Sep 04, 2015 5:41 pm

Wish I had the cash to get all the PDFs of the GURPS line before they vanished.
Canageek
Orc

Postby BlackBat242 » Sat Sep 05, 2015 4:26 am

Havard wrote:If modern means more in the line of Mega Traveller I have no problem with it as this was my first experience with the Traveller Universe anyway.

Is this Mongoose RPG a separate thing from whatever Marc Miller is doing these days?

-Havard

Yes, it is - although fully-authorized by Marc.
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.
"I have a catapult. Give me your money or I will hurl a large rock at your head".

BlackBat242
Dire Haggis

Postby Havard » Sat Sep 05, 2015 10:46 am

BlackBat242 wrote:
Havard wrote:If modern means more in the line of Mega Traveller I have no problem with it as this was my first experience with the Traveller Universe anyway.

-Havard

Yes, it is - although fully-authorized by Marc.

Cool :)

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Angel Tarragon » Sat Sep 05, 2015 7:25 pm

I love Classic Traveller and MegaTraveller, so I am thoroughly looking forward to the new Mongoose edition.
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Postby DMMike » Sat Sep 05, 2015 8:10 pm

Ok, I'll bite. What is Miller doing with Traveller that's different from Mongoose's Trav?

Mike
DMMike
Orc

Postby BlackBat242 » Sun Sep 06, 2015 4:02 am

T5. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traveller_%28role-playing_game%29#Traveller5
It is a whole different rule-set, although still in the same setting. It is a rather large single book - which has been the source of frustration for the large number of internal conflicts between various rules and lots of things that need correction.

An "interim errata" document has been produced by Marc for buyers of T5, pending release of a reprint with the corrections incorporated into the text.

http://www.traveller5.net/

BlackBat242
Dire Haggis

Return to Traveller