Free Trader Beowulf

"This is Free Trader Beowulf...Mayday..." "Hang in there, Beowulf. Help is on the way..."
The Book-House: Find Traveller products.

Free Trader Beowulf

Postby Havard » Sat Sep 05, 2015 1:10 pm

This is Free Trader Beowulf, calling anyone...
Mayday, Mayday...We are under attack...
Main drive is gone...Turret number one not responding...
Mayday...Losing cabin pressure fast calling anyone...
Please help...This is Free Trader Beowulf...

...mayday...

What is the story behind the Beowulf anyway?

-Havard

The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Re: Free Trader Beowulf

Postby Big Mac » Mon Dec 07, 2015 8:44 am

There is a Free Trader Beowulf article on Traveller Wiki, but it only has a picture, some stats and a link to the deck plans.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby BlackBat242 » Tue Dec 08, 2015 2:13 am

There really wasn't a "story" - it was just a neat bit of art for the box set, more to spark the imagination than anything else.

Then in the hardcover compilation/expansion of the first 3 books (The Traveller Book) there was this bit of text in the "plot hooks" section*, and a drawing**

FREE TRADER BEOWULF
If the adventurers have been hired on as crew for a free trader, the following description of the ship should be made available. In other situations, the referee may wish to use details of the ship in describing that situation. The Beowulf is a type A free trader, 200 tons, and approximately thirty years old. It has ten staterooms and twenty low berths. Cargo capacity is 82 tons. The ship is streamlined, and can refuel by skimming gas from gas giants or drawing water from planetary oceans. Armament for the ship consists of one triple turret with a heterogeneous mix: one missile, one beam laser, and one sandcaster.
A second hardpoint on the hull is plated over; some day, the captain hopes to acquire a second turret and weaponry.

** The first drawing of the ship was credited "WHK", which refers to William H. Keith, Jr. - a prolific author of Traveller material (along with his brother, J. Andrew Keith {RIP}). William is still active, so perhaps contacting him might produce more info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_H._Keith,_Jr.

Except a crude set of deck plans in the Snapshot shipboard combat rules and a more-polished set in the Starship Operators Manual [for Mega-Traveller}, and the stats accompanying them, virtually everything I have seen past the already-mentioned artwork and the already-discussed text has been "fan-made".
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.
"I have a catapult. Give me your money or I will hurl a large rock at your head".

"Buffy, Blade... its up to you now." George Takei

The only time a Vampire should sparkle is right before they explode
BlackBat242
Dire Haggis

Location: by the saline water - formerly in the Grand Valley of the Rivers

Postby Havard » Tue Dec 08, 2015 1:24 pm

Thanks! That helps alot :)

-Havard

The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby The Dark » Tue Feb 02, 2016 6:44 am

Steve Jackson Games did Beowulf deck plans as Traveller Deck Plans 1: Beowulf-class Free Trader. They were drawn by Kieren Yanner (I suspect there's a typo in the credits, and it was Kieran Yanner, who has done Magic: the Gathering art and was lead artist for Numenera), and Loren Wiseman had editorial control.

GURPS Traveller used similar art on the front page:
This is Free Trader Beowulf,
calling anyone...
Mayday, Mayday...we are under attack...
main drive is gone...
turret number one not responding...
Mayday...losing cabin pressure fast...
calling anyone...please help...
This is Free Trader Beowulf...
Mayday...

The back cover added to it:
Hang in there, Beowulf.