[Mongoose] MGT WWII

"This is Free Trader Beowulf...Mayday..." "Hang in there, Beowulf. Help is on the way..."
The Book-House: Find Traveller products.

[Mongoose] MGT WWII

Postby Arno Nemecek » Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:32 pm

I see Mongoose have vehicle guides for World War Two vehicles. But I cannot find anything else.

Has anyone used Traveller for a WWII game? Has anyone viewed these vehicle guides?
Arno Nemecek
Kobold

Re: [Mongoose] MGT WWII

Postby Havard » Sat Jan 23, 2016 12:22 pm

Hello there Arno!
Welcome to The Piazza :)

Wow I had not realized Mongoose were doing World War II supplements for Traveller. A quick search gave me these Vehicle Guides. Looks like the vehicle series are the only books in the WWII series so far though.

Are you thinking about running a WWII Campaign using the Traveller rules? That is a very interesting idea :)

-Havard

The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Arno Nemecek » Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:54 am

WWII seems to be more popular these days across the board. I found the vehicle guides and was wondering if anyone else was thinking along these lines. Since Traveller is already successfully used for military career games it seemed a reasonable possibility for WWII.

Has anyone tried it?
Arno Nemecek
Kobold

Postby Big Mac » Sat Apr 09, 2016 8:19 am

I didn't realise that there were WWII products for Traveller either. I thought it was all about space travel.

How well does Traveller work, being "stuck" on one planet?

PS: Welcome to The Piazza Arno! You might want to pop over to the Introduce yourself here topic and say "hi" to the general Piazza community. (You could even point them at this topic, as there might be some WWII fans, who don't realise that Traveller supports their type of gaming yet.)
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Havard » Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:17 am

Big Mac wrote:I didn't realise that there were WWII products for Traveller either. I thought it was all about space travel.

How well does Traveller work, being "stuck" on one planet?

I think it would work quite well. The system is quite robust that way. Of course, being stuck on a low tech world for a long time would mean there are many elements of the Traveller game you never get to use, but if everyone is ok with that I don't see why not.

Looks like the Traveller WWII books could be used both to run a low tech world in the standard Traveller Universe. The other would be to run a proper WWII campaign.

I think there are a few other WWII RPGs out there. It might be worth starting a separate thread about that.

-Havard

The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Dread Delgath » Mon Apr 18, 2016 7:49 pm

I'm not up to date on Mongoose products, but I'm sure they might have something that duplicates Classic Traveller's Book 4: Mercenaries, and has rules for Ironmongery, aka - land-based weapons of war.

Traveller was very much used in land-locked games where access to the stars via spaceships & starships was limited, or not yet discovered for low tech planets that had yet "come of age" into the galactic communities.

There were (are) many science fiction books & series that did this very well, if I could remember any of them, I'd recommend them for background material for a land-locked Traveller game: Any of David Drake's Hammer's Slammers, & Harry Harrison's Death World books are really good at positing planet-bound battles with little or none of the support of space/starships from above.

I am quite sure there are a lot of authors I'm forgetting, but Drake & Harrison are two that sprang immediately to mind. :)
Coming Soon(er or later)! A new Campaign Journal of our group's 5th edition D&D campaign set in my world of Dakan Mar. The Prophecies of the Roaming
Dread Delgath
Frost Giant

Location: Thankfully, NOT where the swirl starts when you flush the country.

Postby Big Mac » Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:29 pm

Dread Delgath wrote:There were (are) many science fiction books & series that did this very well, if I could remember any of them, I'd recommend them for background material for a land-locked Traveller game: Any of David Drake's Hammer's Slammers, & Harry Harrison's Death World books are really good at positing planet-bound battles with little or none of the support of space/starships from above.

I am quite sure there are a lot of authors I'm forgetting, but Drake & Harrison are two that sprang immediately to mind. :)

Did they convert Hammers Slammers and Death World to Traveller campaign settings? :shock: :)
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby The Dark » Fri May 06, 2016 12:44 am

Big Mac wrote:
Dread Delgath wrote:There were (are) many science fiction books & series that did this very well, if I could remember any of them, I'd recommend them for background material for a land-locked Traveller game: Any of David Drake's Hammer's Slammers, & Harry Harrison's Death World books are really good at positing planet-bound battles with little or none of the support of space/starships from above.

Did they convert Hammers Slammers and Death World to Traveller campaign settings? :shock: :)
Slammers, yes. There was a hardcover. Mine is signed by Dave Drake. :D

Rick Shelley's Dirigent Mercenary Corps would be another good ground-based combat series with minimal space support.

One that's not directly game-related, but would be useful, is Lee Brimmcombe-Woods Aliens: Colonial Marines Technical Manual.
The Dark
Ogre

Postby Dread Delgath » Sat May 07, 2016 4:02 pm

I didn't even know about Hammer's Slammers converted to Traveller, so that's cool! Personally, as soon as I read the first Death World novel, I wanted to run a Traveller game based on it, right then & there!

I did create some Stainless Steel Traveller material way back in my high school days. Hard to tell where its at right now, but the only thing I recall are the .75 recoiless pistol and the guass gun. I found out years later that my interpretations of these weapons were pretty far off, and I think other gaming systems or Traveller supplements handled these pretty well on their own. ;)
Coming Soon(er or later)! A new Campaign Journal of our group's 5th edition D&D campaign set in my world of Dakan Mar. The Prophecies of the Roaming
Dread Delgath
Frost Giant

Postby Big Mac » Mon May 16, 2016 1:06 am

I had (still have) a Hammer's Slammers "choose your own adventure" book. It's called In the World of David Drake's Hammer's Slammers: Slammers Down!

If any of you do Hammer's Slammers tabletop games, you might want to buy it and raid the plot. :)
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby The Dark » Sun May 22, 2016 5:00 am

Big Mac wrote:I had (still have) a Hammer's Slammers "choose your own adventure" book. It's called In the World of David Drake's Hammer's Slammers: Slammers Down!

If any of you do Hammer's Slammers tabletop games, you might want to buy it and raid the plot. :)
The author is better known now that he's switched to using his mother's surname of McCaffrey.
The Dark
Ogre

Postby Dread Delgath » Wed May 25, 2016 5:14 pm

The Dark wrote:
Big Mac wrote:I had (still have) a Hammer's Slammers "choose your own adventure" book. It's called In the World of David Drake's Hammer's Slammers: Slammers Down!

The author is better known now that he's switched to using his mother's surname of McCaffrey.

You're thinking of Todd MacCaffrey, who is not the same person as David Drake. :geek:
Dread Delgath
Frost Giant

Postby The Dark » Wed May 25, 2016 10:22 pm

Dread Delgath wrote:
The Dark wrote:

You're thinking of Todd MacCaffrey, who is not the same person as David Drake. :geek:
Yes, the author of Slammers Down! is Todd Johnson, now better known as Todd McCaffrey.
The Dark
Ogre

Postby Big Mac » Sun May 29, 2016 8:52 pm

The Dark wrote:
Dread Delgath wrote:
The Dark wrote:

Yes, the author of Slammers Down! is Todd Johnson, now better known as Todd McCaffrey.

I wonder how well Todd McCaffrey has carried David Drake's world into the Combat Command format and if it could fit in with the WWII stuff for Traveller and allow players to feel that they are playing in the Hammer's Slammer's universe, if a GM tried to combine mix them all together.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Dread Delgath » Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:38 pm

Oh, my bad! I had assumed all Hammer's Slammers were written by David Drake!
Dread Delgath
Frost Giant

Postby The Dark » Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:10 pm

The novels all are, but Combat Command was a series of Choose Your Own Adventure style books, written in one author's universe by another author. They were done by Ace at the same time Tor was doing their Crossroads series. Nine Combat Command books were written:
Cut by Emerald, by Dana Kramer, set in the universe of Piers Anthony's Bio of a Space Tyrant
Shines the Name, by Mark Acres, set in the universe of Robert Heinlein's Starship Troopers
The Omega Rebellion, by Troy Denning, set in the universe of Keith Laumer's Star Colony
Slammers Down, by Todd Johnson, set in the universe of David Drake's Hammer's Slammers
The Legion at War, by Andrew Keith, set in the universe of Keith Laumer's The Legion of Space
The Black Road War, by Neil Randall, set in the universe of Roger Zelazny's Nine Princes in Amber
Lord of Lances, by Mark Acres, set in the universe of Jerry Pournelle's Janissaries
Dorsai's Command, by Troy Denning, Gordon Dickson, and Cory Glaberson, set in the universe of Gordon Dickson's Dorsai
Cold Cash Warrior, by Robert Asprin and Bill Fawcett, set in the universe of Robert Asprin's Cold Cash War
The Dark
Ogre

Return to Traveller