[Race] Aslan

"This is Free Trader Beowulf...Mayday..." "Hang in there, Beowulf. Help is on the way..."
The Book-House: Find Traveller products.

[Race] Aslan

Postby Havard » Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:45 pm

Do you allow Aslan player characters? Both male and female? I understand females are a bit more easy to integrate into human parties? What are your opinions of this race?

-Havard

The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Re: [Race] Aslan

Postby BlackBat242 » Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:02 am

I've played both male & female Aslan (the female used a RAM-grenade launcher as her "short-range personal weapon" - she had a 100% hit rate, usually just outside the range where she would catch shrapnel from her grenade - she preferred HE).

As a Ref, I've allowed them - it takes a certain mental point-of-view for the player to do it well, and certainly needs a unique background if the PC is in a non-Aslan-centric game.
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.
"I have a catapult. Give me your money or I will hurl a large rock at your head".

"Buffy, Blade... its up to you now." George Takei

The only time a Vampire should sparkle is right before they explode
BlackBat242
Dire Haggis

Location: by the saline water - formerly in the Grand Valley of the Rivers

Postby Dread Delgath » Mon Apr 18, 2016 7:32 pm

(Here I go, "More Senior Members", I'm resurrecting another thread!) ;)

I allow them, however, the last Traveller game I ran was back in 1988, and that group didn't last long, as everyone in the game (six of us total) were submariners on two different crews, some went on to other commands, some went to A schools, and so on...

I also recall all of the players had human characters, and one Vargr.

One of my Star Frontiers playing friends stated that he did not like Traveller aliens because they weren't as well developed and playable as Star Frontiers aliens, (sigh) which I find as a completely ridiculous and illogical response concerning the depth and colour that went into the crafting of the Classic Traveller alien books.

I allow any alien in which the players have access to any of the alien modules: Aslan, Vargr, K'kree, Hiver, Zhodani, Darrian, Solomani, etc. Personally, I only have the alien modules of the aliens in the Spinward Marches + the Solomani book.
Examining the origins of D&D: 0e, Holmes Basic, Chainmail, Greyhawk, Blackmoor, Eldritch Wizardry, DDG&H, Swords & Spells & implementing house rules... Prime Requisite Blogspot
Dread Delgath
Frost Giant

Location: Thankfully, NOT where the swirl starts when you flush the country.

Postby BlackBat242 » Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:51 am

Dread Delgath wrote:(Here I go, "More Senior Members", I'm resurrecting another thread!) ;)

That meme is from Dragonsfoot, not here.
http://www.dragonsfoot.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=65495
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.
"I have a catapult. Give me your money or I will hurl a large rock at your head".

"Buffy, Blade... its up to you now." George Takei

The only time a Vampire should sparkle is right before they explode
BlackBat242
Dire Haggis

Location: by the saline water - formerly in the Grand Valley of the Rivers

Postby Havard » Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:58 am

BlackBat242 wrote:
Dread Delgath wrote:(Here I go, "More Senior Members", I'm resurrecting another thread!) ;)

Yep. No rules against Thread Necromancy here.:)

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Havard » Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:01 am

I allow them, however, the last Traveller game I ran was back in 1988, and that group didn't last long, as everyone in the game (six of us total) were submariners on two different crews, some went on to other commands, some went to A schools, and so on...

I also recall all of the players had human characters, and one Vargr.

One of my Star Frontiers playing friends stated that he did not like Traveller aliens because they weren't as well developed and playable as Star Frontiers aliens, (sigh) which I find as a completely ridiculous and illogical response concerning the depth and colour that went into the crafting of the Classic Traveller alien books.

I allow any alien in which the players have access to any of the alien modules: Aslan, Vargr, K'kree, Hiver, Zhodani, Darrian, Solomani, etc. Personally, I only have the alien modules of the aliens in the Spinward Marches + the Solomani book.

That is awesome! We should start threads for each of these races. One of my Traveller GM's insisted on a very "realistic" approach where he claimed it was almost impossible to play most alien races, especially if interracting with human characters. I always felt this approach took some of the fun out of the setting.

Aslans and Vargr were allowed though.

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Dread Delgath » Sat Apr 23, 2016 7:41 pm

BlackBat242 wrote:

http://www.dragonsfoot.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=65495

I was quite aware of that...

Since I mix game systems & metaphors willy-nilly, I don't have a problem mixing fora memes either! ;)

A thread for each Traveller alien, Havard? I can see that for Aslan & Vargr, but the rest of them? Newts, anyone? ;)
Examining the origins of D&D: 0e, Holmes Basic, Chainmail, Greyhawk, Blackmoor, Eldritch Wizardry, DDG&H, Swords & Spells & implementing house rules... Prime Requisite Blogspot
Dread Delgath
Frost Giant

Postby RobJN » Sat Apr 23, 2016 7:52 pm

Dread Delgath wrote:A thread for each Traveller alien, Havard? I can see that for Aslan & Vargr, but the rest of them? Newts, anyone? ;)

I got turned int a newt, once.

I got better.
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook | G+ | twitter
RobJN
Dire Flumph

Postby Dread Delgath » Sat Apr 23, 2016 8:11 pm

RobJN wrote:
Dread Delgath wrote:A thread for each Traveller alien, Havard? I can see that for Aslan & Vargr, but the rest of them? Newts, anyone? ;)

I got turned int a newt, once.

I got better.

If (based on your flumph avatar) you think being a flumph is better than being a newt...

Bwap! :lol:

(Traveller humor there, sorry...)
Dread Delgath
Frost Giant

Postby Havard » Wed May 25, 2016 7:33 pm

I think a thread for each race is very appropriate. I know nothing about Newts, but I'd love to see a thread about them too :)

Back to Aslans,
I really like that race visually. Lion-Men have been a fascination of mine since Mystara's Simbasta, but there are also all of the Sci Fi precedence for races like this from Larry Niven's Kzinti to the Kilrathi of the Wing Commander Games.

I was a little disappoined when one of my Traveller GMs suggested that they would not be a playable race for PCs in his campaign, at least unless everyone would be an Aslan.

Does the name of the race have anything to do with CS Lewis btw? :ugeek:

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Dread Delgath » Wed May 25, 2016 8:35 pm

Havard wrote:

I think a thread for each race is very appropriate. I know nothing about Newts, but I'd love to see a thread about them too :)

Back to Aslans,
I really like that race visually. Lion-Men have been a fascination of mine since Mystara's Simbasta, but there are also all of the Sci Fi precedence for races like this from Larry Niven's Kzinti to the Kilrathi of the Wing Commander Games.

I was a little disappoined when one of my Traveller GMs suggested that they would not be a playable race for PCs in his campaign, at least unless everyone would be an Aslan.

Does the name of the race have anything to do with CS Lewis btw? :ugeek:

-Havard

I think the mythology, errr, history of the Traveller Universe the first Solomani to discover the Aslan race named them such due to a Middle Eastern name, probably the same one that CS Lewis used to name everyone's favorite Christian Lion character. :halo:

I know nothing about this Mystaran Simbasta, but I do recall the original Rakasta race (not a PC race until much later) in the Known World via X1 "Isle of Dread" module. :geek:

One could pattern an Aslan PC after the Kzinti, and also - the Kzinti were a featured race in the Star Trek Animated series, and are Star Trek "canon". :ugeek:

I don't agree with some "old skullers" that role-playing a non-human is impossible, since we all have human perspectives on life. This view goes something like this: If one were to role-play an elf, a dwarf, dog, aslan or vargr, we'd assume our natural tendencies towards humanist perspectives and would only go through empathic movements akin to a "man in a rubber monster suit".

Its basically an argument for killing fun, so I ignore any arguments along that path. :lol:
Dread Delgath
Frost Giant

Return to Traveller