Breaking news: D&D Print on Demand on sale!

Industry news, rumoured and announced new products, and discussion of games company policies.

Moderator: Chimpman

Re: Breaking news: D&D Print on Demand on sale!

Postby Dread Delgath » Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:17 pm

It is great that they're re-releasing these, as many more gamers have never had access to them before, and that's a number I easily forget or dismiss is so large.

I am one of the lucky few that can claim to have deadtree versions of D&D rules and modules (you kids on my lawn call 'em 'adventures' these days!) from way back when. Too bad things such as fuzzy scans & bad OCR are going to be continuous problems. Hopefully, WotC will listen to anyone who complains about these problems and works to fix them, or allows others to help them fix these problems.

Earlier on Dragonsfoot, someone mentioned the poor quality scan of the original Chainmail with the Fantasy Supplement. I mentioned that I took my own copy (legally obtained, fuzzy scan) and C&P the entire thing into an odt (Libre Office's version of Word doc), cleaned up the formatting and converted it into a clean PDF. Unfortunately, I cannot share it with anyone legally, and I doubt if WotC is interested in acquiring it to put up instead of the fuzzy scan they already have. :?
Coming Soon(er or later)! A new Campaign Journal of our group's 5th edition D&D campaign set in my world of Dakan Mar. The Prophecies of the Roaming
Dread Delgath
Frost Giant

Location: Thankfully, NOT where the swirl starts when you flush the country.

Postby riotinferno » Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:42 pm

Hey guys!
I'm new here, but this seems like the right place to mention that I've made a twitter bot that updates whenever a new book comes out on the POD service.

https://twitter.com/modulecrier

DTRPG's current filter doesn't order by when they were added to POD, but rather when the PDF was added to their catalog. To help keep me updated, I've set up a twitter bot that tweets when new books are added to the POD offerings.

The base code (aside from the twitter interface) is open-sourced here
riotinferno
Kobold

Postby Angelika Tatsu » Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:20 pm

riotinferno wrote:Hey guys!
I'm new here, but this seems like the right place to mention that I've made a twitter bot that updates whenever a new book comes out on the POD service.

https://twitter.com/modulecrier

DTRPG's current filter doesn't order by when they were added to POD, but rather when the PDF was added to their catalog. To help keep me updated, I've set up a twitter bot that tweets when new books are added to the POD offerings.

The base code (aside from the twitter interface) is open-sourced here
I wonder if something similar could be done for Facebook for those of us not on Twitter?
In morte veritá.

Projects: Erath (TBD), Sundered Realms
Angelika Tatsu
Goblin Girl

Postby riotinferno » Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:23 pm

That's a good idea! I might see if I can rig something up for that later tonight. I'll post back with updates.
riotinferno
Kobold

Postby Angelika Tatsu » Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:25 pm

riotinferno wrote:That's a good idea! I might see if I can rig something up for that later tonight. I'll post back with updates.
:halo: Thank you!
In morte veritá.

Angelika Tatsu
Goblin Girl

Postby riotinferno » Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:42 am

You can find Module Crier on facebook at https://www.facebook.com/ModuleCrier/
riotinferno
Kobold

Postby Angelika Tatsu » Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:58 am

riotinferno wrote:You can find Module Crier on facebook at https://www.facebook.com/ModuleCrier/

The hashtag for D&D is broken.
In morte veritá.

Angelika Tatsu
Goblin Girl

Postby Tim Baker » Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:00 am

riotinferno wrote:You can find Module Crier on facebook at https://www.facebook.com/ModuleCrier/

That's awesome, riotinferno. This'll come in quite handy. Thank you for sharing!
Image My Google+ RPG-related posts. | Image Escalation! fanzine for 13th Age.
Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Postby Big Mac » Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:03 am

Dread Delgath wrote:It is great that they're re-releasing these, as many more gamers have never had access to them before, and that's a number I easily forget or dismiss is so large.

I am one of the lucky few that can claim to have deadtree versions of D&D rules and modules (you kids on my lawn call 'em 'adventures' these days!) from way back when.

"You kids on my lawn"! :lol:

I do really like the fact that they are making adventures (sorry modules :P ) available to people who just can not afford to buy them. But there are still some cheap books on the second-hand market, so I would encourage people to check both the PoD price and the price of older books.

Dread Delgath wrote:Too bad things such as fuzzy scans & bad OCR are going to be continuous problems. Hopefully, WotC will listen to anyone who complains about these problems and works to fix them, or allows others to help them fix these problems.

Earlier on Dragonsfoot, someone mentioned the poor quality scan of the original Chainmail with the Fantasy Supplement. I mentioned that I took my own copy (legally obtained, fuzzy scan) and C&P the entire thing into an odt (Libre Office's version of Word doc), cleaned up the formatting and converted it into a clean PDF. Unfortunately, I cannot share it with anyone legally, and I doubt if WotC is interested in acquiring it to put up instead of the fuzzy scan they already have. :?

Actually, WotC are not the people running the show here. Dungon Masters Guild is run by OneBookShelf. They are the same company that runs DriveThur RPG, RPG Now and other companies, you see with the same storefront.

They put out an open call for people to scan books, last year. They suspended that open call in March last year, but I think that was mostly because end users were getting confused.

I think that if you get in touch with DriveThru RPG, and let them know you have a better quality scan of Chainmail, you might be able to sell it to them. (They were paying £50 before, so you may want to suggest that as a fair price for them to pay you.) If you have other scans that they do not have, you might also be able to sell them those.

Good luck! :)
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby thorr-kan » Fri Mar 03, 2017 6:08 pm

I'm looking forward to when the Al-Qadim stuff gets this treatment. My Arabian Adventures book sees regular usage and is about to die the final death.
thorr-kan
Bugbear

Postby Dread Delgath » Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:06 pm

Big Mac wrote:I think that if you get in touch with DriveThru RPG, and let them know you have a better quality scan of Chainmail, you might be able to sell it to them. (They were paying £50 before, so you may want to suggest that as a fair price for them to pay you.) If you have other scans that they do not have, you might also be able to sell them those.

Good luck! :)

:cool:
Thanks, but it's not a scan, it is completely re-formatted text - copied and pasted, except for the tables in the back - Libre Office has a hard time reproducing tables to look like those. :|
Coming Soon(er or later)! A new Campaign Journal of our group's 5th edition D&D campaign set in my world of Dakan Mar. The Prophecies of the Roaming
Dread Delgath
Frost Giant

Location: Thankfully, NOT where the swirl starts when you flush the country.

Postby night_druid » Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:56 pm

Lots of products I wouldn't mind getting ahold of. Lots of 1e modules, some setting sourcebooks, and some replacements for things that aren't in the best of shape. :)
Moderator: Spelljammer, Kingdoms of Kalamar. My moderator voice is green
night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Postby willpell » Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:01 pm

This would be extremely exciting news if I was rich enough to participate (even after my short-term lack of employment is cured, I'll need to earn probably $20,000 - a full year's salary at the best jobs I've had, only one of which I managed to keep that long) before I can afford to invest in an Internet-capable computer, with enough security measures that I can bank through it.

Still, good news for all you lucky bastiches....
willpell
White Dragon

Postby gmanv2 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:18 pm

Big Mac wrote:
Dread Delgath wrote:It is great that they're re-releasing these, as many more gamers have never had access to them before, and that's a number I easily forget or dismiss is so large.

I am one of the lucky few that can claim to have deadtree versions of D&D rules and modules (you kids on my lawn call 'em 'adventures' these days!) from way back when.

"You kids on my lawn"! :lol:

I do really like the fact that they are making adventures (sorry modules :P ) available to people who just can not afford to buy them. But there are still some cheap books on the second-hand market, so I would encourage people to check both the PoD price and the price of older books.

Is there any other 2nd hand market than EBay and Amazon? Because honestly, the prices are astronomical on both those sites for a majority of the older modules. I routinely watch the big players scoop up modules as well only to see them listed for double/triple a week or so later by them.

I have been buying every reprint as soon as it releases, and will continue to do so, only skipping the books I have good reliable copies of already.

Different question, anyone know how "well" the PoD is doing? Hopefully well enough that it'll continue long term for everything to be available.
gmanv2
Goblin

Postby Tim Baker » Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:20 pm

gmanv2 wrote:Is there any other 2nd hand market than EBay and Amazon? Because honestly, the prices are astronomical on both those sites for a majority of the older modules. I routinely watch the big players scoop up modules as well only to see them listed for double/triple a week or so later by them.

I've enjoyed the Goblin Emporium on G+. It's a friendly community where folks buy/sell/trade RPG products.
Image My Google+ RPG-related posts. | Image Escalation! fanzine for 13th Age.
Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Postby gmanv2 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:47 pm

Tim Baker wrote:
gmanv2 wrote:Is there any other 2nd hand market than EBay and Amazon? Because honestly, the prices are astronomical on both those sites for a majority of the older modules. I routinely watch the big players scoop up modules as well only to see them listed for double/triple a week or so later by them.

I've enjoyed the Goblin Emporium on G+. It's a friendly community where folks buy/sell/trade RPG products.

Awesome, thanks for the tip, I've requested to join!
gmanv2
Goblin

Previous

Return to The Wishing Well