My 3rd Freeport campaign: Winds of Freeport

Classic fantasy, swashbuckling pirates, and Lovecraftian horror. Welcome to the City of Adventure!

Re: My 3rd Freeport campaign: Winds of Freeport

Postby Havard » Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:11 pm

timemrick wrote:I have created a page at TEA for Pathfinder Short Cuts #6: Cavalier Orders of Freeport, which is available in the Green Ronin Online Store.

Nice!

Is this item also in your product list somewhere? I need to catch up on Freeport material...

-Havard

The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby timemrick » Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:39 pm

I have created a page for Heroes of Freeport, from the Green Ronin Blog, with notes on Janica Flamefist (monster slayer), Tovarik Gertensen (witch hunter), and Redjak (rogue).
Tim Emrick, Green Ronin Freebooter and Keeper of the Freeport Errata
Winds of Freeport: My Pathfinder Freeport campaign (2014-2016).
Time of the Tarrasque: My homebrew Pathfinder campaign (2017-).
Studded Plate: My blog about RPGs and LEGO.
Thastygliax's Vault: My other gaming pages.
timemrick
Hekatonkhieres

Postby timemrick » Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:44 pm

Havard wrote:
timemrick wrote:I have created a page at TEA for Pathfinder Short Cuts #6: Cavalier Orders of Freeport, which is available in the Green Ronin Online Store.

Nice!

Is this item also in your product list somewhere? I need to catch up on Freeport material...

-Havard

Yes, I've added links to that page on both the Freeport Errata index page (alphabetical under Pathfinder Short Cuts) and Freeport Library page (under Other Supplements: Pathfinder).

Ditto for the Heroes of Freeport page I just mentioned (under Other Supplements: Systemless).
timemrick
Hekatonkhieres

Postby timemrick » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:22 pm

Crossposting from the Squishy Bits thread about my blog:

Unearthed Arcana and Freeport, Part 4 (Class Options, Part 2): More thoughts on incorporating new 5E subclasses into your Freeport game.

(LInks to previous 5E Freeport columns are in the article.)
timemrick
Hekatonkhieres

Postby timemrick » Thu May 04, 2017 7:56 pm

This week's blog post is another UA-related review:

Unearthed Arcana and Freeport, Part 5: The mystic, new feats, and even more subclasses.
timemrick
Hekatonkhieres

Postby timemrick » Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:49 pm

I have posted my fragmentary notes on "The Tale of Jumari" to the Past Lives section of the WInds of Freeport website. This was a True20 solo campaign for my wife Erika that ended after just a couple of sessions in 2006; Jumari was later reactivated for my True20 conversion of "Dead Man's Quest" (in 2007).

Although that version of Jumari never got much play, the character stuck with her, and Erika reused the name and much of the character concept for her character in my current "Time of the Tarrasque" Pathfinder campaign.
timemrick
Hekatonkhieres

Postby timemrick » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:37 pm

Just some random thoughts that may make it into full-fledged blog posts eventually:

Whenever I do return to Freeport, I will very likely be trying it with another system--either Fantasy AGE (once the Freeport Companion for that system finally comes out) or D&D 5E. I greatly enjoy Pathfinder, but it's reeeeeaaally crunchy, and I'll probably want a change of pace from it whenever I need a break from "Time of the Tarrasque." Fantasy AGE or 5E would also require far fewer books to run a campaign, especially during play. (Naturally, I'll still need my complete Freeport collection for design and prep work!)

Speaking of 5E books, I spent some time looking through Volo's Guide to Monsters at my FLGS last night. That book hasn't been a top priority for me yet, since I'm only running modules at this point, but I will definitely want to acquire it before I run any original (or converted) adventures of my own. I'll want it for Freeport in particular, because it includes rules for "monstrous" PCs (orcs, goblins, kobolds, etc.), which can all be found in that city. (It also provides stats for at least one more essential monster from Expedition to the Barrier Peaks, which I hope to run in 5E someday after I've mastered the system more.)

I'm also going to want Xanathar's Guide to Everything when it comes out later this year. From the announcement, it sounds like it's going to contain official final versions of a lot of the playtest content that has been featured in "Unearthed Arcana." Regulars readers of my blog should be unsurprised that I'd want to use much of that material if I run a Freeport 5E game.

Finally (for now), I am very much looking forward to getting my copy of the Green Ronin's Book of the Righteous for 5E. (As a backer, I have the PDF already, but for anything of that scope, I find it much easier to read it in print.) I can easily get a column or three out of discussing how that book's gods fit into the World of Freeport, whether I ever run a 5E game there or not.
timemrick
Hekatonkhieres

Postby timemrick » Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:08 pm

Another Freeport blog post:

Plane Shift and Freeport 5E: Mixing the Magic: The Gathering multiverse with The City of Adventure.
timemrick
Hekatonkhieres

Postby timemrick » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:26 am

I can't recall if I ever mentioned this here before, but when I was gearing up for Winds of Freeport, I briefly considered running it another system besides v.3.5. I looked over the Freeport Companion for 4E, but finally decided that I wasn't excited enough about the new edition to ever run it myself. (I had played in one short campaign set in Eberron. While I enjoyed playing my character, and liked some of the changes to the system, there were too many other changes that I didn't care for.)

The other system I considered was BESM Third Edition. I converted a great many Freeport creatures and characters to BESM before deciding that doing that for everything that I wanted to use in the campaign was just too much work. However, I did save the conversion work I did, and have posted it all at the Freeport BESM page at my Thastygliax's Vault site. I've also added a link to that page to the "Past Lives" section of the Winds site.
timemrick
Hekatonkhieres

Postby The Dark » Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:53 am

timemrick wrote:Whenever I do return to Freeport, I will very likely be trying it with another system--either Fantasy AGE (once the Freeport Companion for that system finally comes out) or D&D 5E. I greatly enjoy Pathfinder, but it's reeeeeaaally crunchy, and I'll probably want a change of pace from it whenever I need a break from "Time of the Tarrasque." Fantasy AGE or 5E would also require far fewer books to run a campaign, especially during play. (Naturally, I'll still need my complete Freeport collection for design and prep work!)

I've been looking at using Adventurer, Conqueror, King, an OSR game, for a few reasons.
1. I'm familiar with it (always a plus when deciding on a game system :P ).
2. It has rules for firearms, including cannon, in its Guns of War supplement.
3. It has clear divides by characters gaining a General proficiency at levels 1, 5, and 9 (and 13 for classes that have 13+ levels). This maps well on the apprentice/journeyman/master descriptions of the system-less books, so that an apprentice is level 1d4, journeyman is 1d4+4, and master is 1d6+8.
4. I can use any creature from B/X or BECMI pretty much as-is (the only things that require recalculating are AC and attack target number, because of descending vs. ascending AC), which gives me good flexibility for monster selection.
5. I can run it with two or three books (core rulebook, Player's Companion if I want more classes, Guns of War as needed for characters using firearms).

Unfortunately, I don't currently have a group to run it with, and while some naval rules have been discussed on the publisher's site, they're not fully fleshed out, so there'd be some handwaving and/or houseruling there.
The Dark
Troll

Postby timemrick » Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:45 am

I was very excited to receive an editing credit in the Freeport Bestiary for the last-minute vetting that I gave the book just before it went to print. When I received my comp copy today, I checked the notes I submitted against the final text. I have started an errata page for the book that compiles the relatively small number of my suggestions that didn't make the final edit, as well as any new issues I've discovered since that review. I've also created an "appendix" page with monster indices by creature type and terrain, and some additional commentary.
timemrick
Hekatonkhieres

Postby timemrick » Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:30 am

timemrick wrote:Finally (for now), I am very much looking forward to getting my copy of the Green Ronin's Book of the Righteous for 5E. (As a backer, I have the PDF already, but for anything of that scope, I find it much easier to read it in print.) I can easily get a column or three out of discussing how that book's gods fit into the World of Freeport, whether I ever run a 5E game there or not.

My copy arrived in today's mail. Of course, I'm right in the middle of reading the Starfinder Core Rulebook, but once I've finished that, I'll dive into BotR. It may be another month or two before I'm ready to blog about using it with Freeport...
timemrick
Hekatonkhieres

Postby timemrick » Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:31 pm

I have posted an errata page for Return to Freeport Part Four: The Freebooter's City. (Sadly, this installment had far more stat block issues than any previous part. I'm definitely going to have to ask Green Ronin to let me help vet Parts 5 and 6 before they get released.)
timemrick
Hekatonkhieres

Postby timemrick » Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:36 am

Unearthed Arcana and Freeport, Part 6: Capsule reviews of UA columns from May-September, with my usual City of Adventure slant.

Expect a column about using the new Book of the Righteous (for 5E) with Freeport sometime in the next week or two...
timemrick
Hekatonkhieres

Postby timemrick » Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:28 am

I have finished reading the new 5E version of The Book of the Righteous, and have posted an errata page to the Archive.

Due to the fact that BotR mentions Freeport a handful of times, I have added texts named in "Appendix I: A Treatise on the Divine" to my Books of Freeport index.
timemrick
Hekatonkhieres

Postby timemrick » Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:37 pm

For the same reasons, I have also added deity data from The Book of the Righteous to my Gods of Freeport index.
timemrick
Hekatonkhieres

Previous

Return to Freeport