Freeport for Shadow of the Demon Lord

Classic fantasy, swashbuckling pirates, and Lovecraftian horror. Welcome to the City of Adventure!

Freeport for Shadow of the Demon Lord

Postby Tim Baker » Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:47 pm

What are your thoughts on using the Shadow of the Demon Lord system for the Freeport setting? I don't know a lot about Freeport, but it sounds like a good fit to me. Are you interested in the upcoming book that will offer SotDL support for the setting?

Image My Google+ RPG-related posts. | Image Escalation! fanzine for 13th Age.
Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Re: Freeport for Shadow of the Demon Lord

Postby timemrick » Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:14 pm

I'm considered an expert on Freeport, but don't know much about SotDL. However, Robert Schwalb has been been heavily involved in developing Freeport in the past, including being one of the principal designers of The Pirate's Guide to Freeport, the systemless sourcebook that the SotDL Freeport book will plug into. So it should be a pretty solid supplement.

If I had the free time and money to invest in yet another game system right now, I'd seriously consider picking up SotDL based solely on the strength of Schwalb's past work for Green Ronin. But I already own the d20, True20, Pathfinder, and Fate sourcebooks for Freeport (and will be receiving the Fantasy AGE one as a KS reward whenever it finally comes out), so I already have more systems to run Freeport in than I'll ever be able to try out.
Tim Emrick, Green Ronin Freebooter and Keeper of the Freeport Errata
Winds of Freeport: My Pathfinder Freeport campaign (2014-2016).
Time of the Tarrasque: My homebrew Pathfinder campaign (2017-).
Studded Plate: My blog about RPGs and LEGO.
Thastygliax's Vault: My other gaming pages.
timemrick
Hekatonkhieres

Postby Tim Baker » Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:23 pm

I really like the SotDL system. It's character customization system is the right balance between class based and purely skill based, and really lets players evolve their characters to be precisely what they're looking for without having books filled with feats. The tone of the default setting is gritty, and the mechanics around corruption and insanity capture that nicely. The banes/boons system builds upon the simplicity of D&D 5e's advantage/disadvantage, while still giving characters a reason to seek out more than one source of advantage. I like that it supports 0-level play, without taking it all the way to the sometimes comical experience of a DCC funnel. The way Freeport was described to me, it's Lovecraft meets Pirates of the Caribbean, and this sounds like a good system to support a setting with those themes.
Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Postby Big Mac » Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:26 am

I've never seen Shadow of the Demon Lord before. Is there any sort of preview/quickstart/freebie thing out there that gives an idea of what it is like?

timemrick wrote:I'm considered an expert on Freeport, but don't know much about SotDL. However, Robert Schwalb has been been heavily involved in developing Freeport in the past, including being one of the principal designers of The Pirate's Guide to Freeport, the systemless sourcebook that the SotDL Freeport book will plug into. So it should be a pretty solid supplement.

You are an expert Tim. If I was on the lookout for a new RPG system to use with Freeport, I would take your gut instinct there as reliable information. :D

timemrick wrote:If I had the free time and money to invest in yet another game system right now, I'd seriously consider picking up SotDL based solely on the strength of Schwalb's past work for Green Ronin. But I already own the d20, True20, Pathfinder, and Fate sourcebooks for Freeport (and will be receiving the Fantasy AGE one as a KS reward whenever it finally comes out), so I already have more systems to run Freeport in than I'll ever be able to try out.

I think it is great that Freeport has support for fans of multiple campaign settings. (Although I'm sticking with 3e.)
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Tim Baker » Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:08 am

Big Mac wrote:I've never seen Shadow of the Demon Lord before. Is there any sort of preview/quickstart/freebie thing out there that gives an idea of what it is like?

Yes, there is. It costs a few bucks, but it's an innovative system, and I personally consider it a worthwhile investment: http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/156 ... rter-Guide

It's a 56 page document, covering character creation, weapons, armor, equipment, and the complete rules.
Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Postby Tim Baker » Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:53 pm

Here's some additional information about Freeport for SotDL. http://schwalbentertainment.com/2017/02 ... companion/

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Postby timemrick » Mon May 08, 2017 4:14 am

One of the stretch goals that the Kickstarter unlocked was SotDL conversions of the Freeport Trilogy. Well, I got my PDF of Death in Freeport today (I didn't back the KS, but got it as a comp copy for editing the previous v.3.5 version). In reply to my query and thanks, Robert Schwalb said that the adventure should be available to non-backers at DriveThruRPG tomorrow, and conversions of Terror and Madness are on their way.
timemrick
Hekatonkhieres

Postby timemrick » Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:09 pm

I got my copy of Terror in Freeport today, so it should be available to buy from DriveThruRPG within the next day or two.
timemrick
Hekatonkhieres

Return to Freeport