[Hamunaptra] Hamunaptra Adventure Hook Generator

Classic fantasy, swashbuckling pirates, and Lovecraftian horror. Welcome to the City of Adventure! Hamunaptra, Naranjan and other World of Freeport subsettings can be discussed here.

[Hamunaptra] Hamunaptra Adventure Hook Generator

Postby Big Mac » Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:02 pm

I found a blog article, called Egyptian Adventures: Hamunaptra Adventure Hook Generator, where Evan Sass said this:
Evan Sass at the Green Ronin blog wrote:We present for your Egyptian adventuring entertainment a Hamunaptra Adventure Hook Generator. Just click to our our new Adventure Hooks page, and you’ll find a random entry to inspire your gaming in the lands of the pharaohs.
Egyptian Adventures: Hamunaptra Adventure Hook Generator

Unfortunately the link to the generator doesn't work any more.

I've tried searching for the generator, but can't find it.

I even tried putting the dead link into the Wayback Machine, but could not get the Wayback Machine to load.

Does anyone know if this tool has been relocated somewhere else (rather than deleted)?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: [Hamunaptra] Hamunaptra Adventure Hook Generator

Postby timemrick » Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:42 pm

I seem to recall seeing something like this for Freeport at one point, but I can't seem to track down the hard copy of it that I was sure I had. And I didn't find anything about this one in my Hamunaptra box, where I keep hard copies of my Mythic Vistas-related PDFs (like the Exile adventure you asked about in that other thread).

I've PMed Evan Sass to ask about the adventure hook generator. He's the blog post's author and Green Ronin's webmaster, so if anyone knows its current status, he would.
Tim Emrick, Green Ronin Freebooter and Keeper of the Freeport Errata
Winds of Freeport: My Pathfinder Freeport campaign (2014-2016).
Time of the Tarrasque: My homebrew Pathfinder campaign (2017-).
Studded Plate: My blog about RPGs and LEGO.
Thastygliax's Vault: My other gaming pages.
timemrick
Hekatonkhieres

Postby timemrick » Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:44 pm

After searching the Green Ronin blog, i was able to determine that they had created adventure hook generators for Freeport, Hamunaptra, and Blue Rose. The post about the Blue Rose one also had a link to a printable list of 100 hooks, but none of these links work anymore. (I was going to try the Wayback Machine myself, but couldn't get that site to load last night.)
timemrick
Hekatonkhieres

Postby Big Mac » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:32 pm

timemrick wrote:I seem to recall seeing something like this for Freeport at one point, but I can't seem to track down the hard copy of it that I was sure I had. And I didn't find anything about this one in my Hamunaptra box, where I keep hard copies of my Mythic Vistas-related PDFs (like the Exile adventure you asked about in that other thread).

Hamunaptra topics are like London busses. You wait ages for one and then two come along at once.

Actually, I stumbled onto this, after finding the Exile PDF and having a look to see if Green Ronin had been kind enough to put anything else up. So the fact that I created two topics is kind of related.

timemrick wrote:I've PMed Evan Sass to ask about the adventure hook generator. He's the blog post's author and Green Ronin's webmaster, so if anyone knows its current status, he would.

That's brilliant. Thanks for doing that. :D

timemrick wrote:After searching the Green Ronin blog, i was able to determine that they had created adventure hook generators for Freeport, Hamunaptra, and Blue Rose.

That's great. I suppose that - if you get a script that does something like that, you can recycle it for multiple campaign settings or rules.

timemrick wrote:The post about the Blue Rose one also had a link to a printable list of 100 hooks, but none of these links work anymore. (I was going to try the Wayback Machine myself, but couldn't get that site to load last night.)

I don't know how those scripts worked, but if Green Ronin are not planning to revive them, and I can grab them from the Wayback Machine (at some point in the future) I might try to reverse-engineer them to create random tables that people can use to get the same result. (It's a shame for Green Ronin to go to all that effort and the content to vanish.)

EDIT: The Wayback Machine is back. They did add a "Show all adventure hooks" option, but that page has not been archived. However there are several captures of the page and each one seems to have captured a different adventure hook:

I found some other captures, but they were missing the adventure hooks. (It looks like the php script started to go wrong at some point...or at least that the Wayback Machine lost the ability to interact with it.)
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby timemrick » Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:02 am

Good work, Mac!

I believe that the Blue Rose adventure hook list was probably identical to the "One Hundred Adventure Ideas" list in the second edition rulebook (pp. 264-265).
timemrick
Hekatonkhieres

Postby Big Mac » Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:08 pm

timemrick wrote:Good work, Mac!

Thanks Tim. You do a ton more of this sort of stuff than I do, but I do have my moments. :)

When I get a chance, I'm going to go through the Wayback machine to see if some or all of the Freeport adventure hooks are preserved.

timemrick wrote:I believe that the Blue Rose adventure hook list was probably identical to the "One Hundred Adventure Ideas" list in the second edition rulebook (pp. 264-265).

Hmm. If the Blue Rose adventure hook are already in a book, I'm not so sure about (the ethics) of trying to recover them. I'll have to think about it.

I'm not too interested in Blue Rose myself, but if these turn out to be things that are a "dead Web Enhancement" they might help a Blue Rose fan someday. I think a few of my friends like Blue Rose.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby timemrick » Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:59 am

I've heard back from Evan Sass:
Evan Sass wrote:Hey Tim, thanks for alerting me to this! I still have the data. I am planning on putting something together for Hamunaptra. If you visit https://greenronin.com/freeport/ you can see the Freeport hooks active in the right sidebar. The code needs a little cleaning up, but the content is there.

I'll let you all know when I hear more.
timemrick
Hekatonkhieres

Postby Havard » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:43 pm

That sounds like it might be useful. Glad the data has been preserved!

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Return to Freeport