Bleeding Edge Adventures

Classic fantasy, swashbuckling pirates, and Lovecraftian horror. Welcome to the City of Adventure! Hamunaptra, Naranjan and other World of Freeport subsettings can be discussed here.
Yaztromo
The Real Nowhere Man

Bleeding Edge Adventures

Post by Yaztromo » Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:57 am

I just met the Bleeding Edge Adventures, a d20 adventure series by Green Ronin.
I have the first two adventures (Mansion of Shadows and Beyond the Towers) published in 2006. They are formally set in Freeport, but they are easy to drop and play in about every fantasy setting (that's why I met them...) and, although before running adventures by yourself you can never be super assured about this, they look really good quality.
I decided I will run these two adventures (with a different ruleset and in a different setting), but, apart from the above, I know nothing about Bleeding Edge Adventures. Did anybody around here run or play them? Any further comment?
I'm the Real Nowhere Man, sitting in my Nowhere Land,
making all my Nowhere plans for Nobody.

timemrick
Hekatonkhieres

Re: Bleeding Edge Adventures

Post by timemrick » Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:55 am

I only own Temple of the Death Goddess and Dark Wings Over Freeport, but have never run either. Dark Wings is the only Bleeding Edge Adventure actually set in Freeport; the others are set on the Continent, somewhere north of the Ivory Ports.

IIRC, the "Bleeding Edge" name comes from the fact that the writers made an effort to show off what's possible with the d20 System. There are some pretty inventive challenges in the two I own.
Tim Emrick, Green Ronin Freebooter and Keeper of the Freeport Errata
Time of the Tarrasque: My homebrew Pathfinder campaign (2017-).
Studded Plate: My blog about RPGs and LEGO.
Thastygliax's Vault: My other gaming pages.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:54 pm

timemrick wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:55 am
I only own Temple of the Death Goddess and Dark Wings Over Freeport, but have never run either. Dark Wings is the only Bleeding Edge Adventure actually set in Freeport; the others are set on the Continent, somewhere north of the Ivory Ports.
That sounds good.

I always thought that the fact that Freeport was kind of just a city as a bit limiting and have found the products set on other parts of the same world (like Hamunaptra) kind of exciting.

How well are the Bleeding Edge adventures connected to each other?

Would they provide you with a good list of destination ports for ships leaving Freeport? Would they be good for inland adventures?
timemrick wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:55 am
IIRC, the "Bleeding Edge" name comes from the fact that the writers made an effort to show off what's possible with the d20 System. There are some pretty inventive challenges in the two I own.
That does sound interesting.

I've never heard of this line before, but I do like 3rd Edition, so I guess the crunchy stuff would be as potentially useful as the ability to create more background to Freeport.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Yaztromo
The Real Nowhere Man

Post by Yaztromo » Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:45 pm

I think this is the Bleeding Edge Adventures list:
#1: Mansion of Shadows (2006)
#2: Beyond the Towers (2006)
#3: Dirge of the Damned (2006)
#4: A Dreadful Dawn (2007)
#5: Temple of the Death Goddess (2007)
#6: Escape from Ceranir (2007)
Special: Dark Wings Over Freeport (2007)
Did I miss anything?
I'm the Real Nowhere Man, sitting in my Nowhere Land,
making all my Nowhere plans for Nobody.

Return to “Freeport”