Freeport in the Floenry Island Chain (Palladium Fantasy RPG)

Classic fantasy, swashbuckling pirates, and Lovecraftian horror. Welcome to the City of Adventure! Hamunaptra, Naranjan and other World of Freeport subsettings can be discussed here.
Gnoll

Freeport in the Floenry Island Chain (Palladium Fantasy RPG)

Post by 1970 »

I've been lazily looking around for another fantasy game that wouldn't be so hard to choose and settle on a setting for, so I opted for Palladium Fantasy. It's a fun world with lots of history that I can conveniently ignore at my leisure. Originally I was going to run a simple coastal game at the tip of the Tegyn Peninsula (Southeastern tip of the Eastern Territories), but after a chance look at the Adventures on the High Seas Second Edition I started reading about the Floenry Islands and the pirates there. One place in particular, the Island of Totugo, seems like a great place to drop a place kind of like Freeport into. Totugo, unlike Freeport, isn't a recognized political entity beyond itself and their Vunoon Raider rivals, but really there aren't too many nations that care about the Island Chain as a whole as long as the status quo isn't too disturbed.

Still the Pirate Federation that lays claim to Totugo has enough structure to pull off a relatively painless facsimile of the Freeport Trilogy, of which I own the original 3.0 modules. I haven't read them recently, but I know I can change the Serpent People for Changelings and the Unspeakable One to one of the Palladium Old Ones. The Gods were already nebulous, and dimensional travel is already a fact in the Palladium World, so the entire Island Chain could have slipped into Palladium's reality without anyone noticing some thousands or hundreds of thousands of years ago.

So, does anyone have enough experience with Palladium Fantasy (preferably Second Edition) to help me make this work or to caution me that it would be too much work to make this work? Without getting too deep into it I'm pretty sure I can make it work without too many problems. The Temple of Knowledge would be a hurdle, but I can write my way around that too I believe.

Anyway, does anyone have any suggestions either way? Once I dig into this I'll probably throw some more thoughts up here, but hopefully I'll have someone to bounce ideas off of. Thanks.
Formless Faceless and Free

Gnoll

Re: Freeport in the Floenry Island Chain (Palladium Fantasy RPG)

Post by 1970 »

Another question I should ask is should I modify Freeport to fit into the Palladium World or just plop it in there and just hand wave it, saying it was there the whole time? I'd like to make the setting work, so I'll probably just add it in. Make it a supposedly neutral meeting ground for pirates of all sorts. Now it's declared itself independent, and no one quite knows what to do. The other nations could probably crush it, since three or four of them claim ownership of the Island Chain, but if the new Sealord doesn't make any fast or dangerous moves then no one cares, since no one wants to make the first move.

Yup, looks like I'm adding a new Island to the Chain. Don't tell anyone. ;)
Formless Faceless and Free

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon »

If I am not mistaken, earlier publications of Freeport make it similar to Jules' Vernes The Mysterious Island...you could easily make it appear and disappear as you like...possibly taking it to other worlds if you desire.

timemrick
Hekatonkhieres

Post by timemrick »

From the beginning, Freeport was designed to be easily inserted into almost any campaign world. I know nothing about Palladium Fantasy, 1970, but your suggested modifications seem perfectly reasonable to me from the Freeport side of things.

There are some later Freeport books (notably Cults of Freeport) that characterize the Serpent's Teeth as the center of a conglomeration of fragments of many worlds that became caught in Yig's coils and pulled into Freeport's dimension. (In some cases, a nation or small continent might have been shifted between worlds; in others, the entire world was destroyed except for the surviving shards that made it here.) Even if you don't go that full route, it does fully support Freeport being found in unlikely places in other established settings, and some of its people being familiar with other worlds.
Tim Emrick, Green Ronin Freebooter and Keeper of the Freeport Errata
Time of the Tarrasque: My homebrew Pathfinder campaign (2017-).
Studded Plate: My blog about RPGs and LEGO.
Thastygliax's Vault: My other gaming pages.

Return to “Freeport”