Jalie Squarefoot: The Lich Fiend

Classic fantasy, swashbuckling pirates, and Lovecraftian horror. Welcome to the City of Adventure!

Jalie Squarefoot: The Lich Fiend

Postby Havard » Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:35 am

Recent discussion of this character elsewhere made me look through this forum for mentions of Jalie Squarefoot. The first time the Lich Fiend came up on this forum was apparently in this old thread:

Havard wrote:Cults of Freeport does indeed have more deities for us:

Yarrash - the Bloody One, the Great Mutineer
The Crawling Chaos
Abaddon the Destroyer (The Lord of Locusts)
Lowyatar - Mistress of Pain
The Charnel God (The Serpent God)
The Wanderer

Also, in Hell in Freeport, there's Jalie Squarefoot - the Lich Fiend.

Furthermore, GRR's Legions of Hell has a long list of devils. It is not officially a Freeport product, but does have some Freeport references, chiefly the appearance of Jalie Squarefoot.

Jalie Squarefoot, the Lich Fiend appears i Hell in Freeport and in Legions of Hell, both by Green Ronin. But now I learn that both Jalie and his Clock also appear in a T.H.Lain novel published by Wizards of the Coast? Was Jalie designated as open content or is there some other reason that both WotC and GRR are allowed to use the same character?

Do other sources feature Jalie as well? Has anyone used Jalie in their campaigns?

-Havard

The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Re: Jalie Squarefoot: The Lich Fiend

Postby ripvanwormer » Sat Feb 14, 2015 4:38 pm

Havard wrote:Was Jalie designated as open content

Yes.

The Book of Fiends wrote:The following text is Open Gaming Content: the demon, daemon and devil traits sidebars; the Demons and the Material Plane section of Chapter 1; all of Chapters 2 and 9; the name, info block and obedience of each demon prince in Chapter 3; the name, statistics, and combat section of each monster in Chapters 4, 6, and 8; all new weapons and magic items; and appendices 1, 2, 3, and 4.

As Jalie Squarefoot is one of the monsters in Chapter 8, his name, statistics, and combat section are Open Gaming Content.

That said, I don't know if Return of the Damned includes a copy of the Open Game License and a little copyright notice indicating the source of the monster, as it should if it's using OGL content. It could be that the author just asked Green Ronin permission to reference the plot of Hell in Freeport, in the same way that Green Ronin gave permission to the creators of the Arcanis setting to put Freeport in it. Freeport is in a number of places; I know it's in SpirosBlaak too, as well as the World of Freeport. Even if it was done without permission, it seems unlikely that Green Ronin would have objected too strenuously to what amounted to free advertising.
ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Postby Havard » Sat Feb 14, 2015 5:26 pm

Yes, I thought Jalie might be Open Content.

Doing a bit more research I found some other clues to why Jalie appears in all of these three products. As explained in this thread, T.H. Lain was a pseudonym used by many authors. Return of the Damned is actually written by Jess Lebow, one of the three authors credited for Hell in Freeport! :geek:

I wonder if Jess Lebow has used Jalie in other works as well?

-Havard

The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Big Mac » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:30 pm

I just spotted this topic!

Havard wrote:Jalie Squarefoot, the Lich Fiend appears i Hell in Freeport and in Legions of Hell, both by Green Ronin. But now I learn that both Jalie and his Clock also appear in a T.H.Lain novel published by Wizards of the Coast? Was Jalie designated as open content or is there some other reason that both WotC and GRR are allowed to use the same character?

There is no Open Gaming Licence or OCG definition in any D&D novel I've seen. The T.H. Lain novels certainly don't have one.

I doubt that Chris Pramas from Green Ronin would deliberately lift a character from a D&D novel, given the legal trouble that WotC have given other ex-D&D designers had back in the 3rd Edition era for using things. I bet this is something that Jess Lebow has sneaked into a few places as a kind of Easter egg for fans to find, rather than an intentional connection between New Koratia and Freeport. Maybe it was even in the Green Ronin books before Return of the Damned was published (October 2003). :)

Have you found any reference to Jalie Squarefoot in any Arcanis or SpirosBlaak products?

Is it worth looking up a list of Jess Lebow's other works to see if we can find out if Jalie is in any more of them? :?:
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby agathokles » Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:42 am

Big Mac wrote:There is no Open Gaming Licence or OCG definition in any D&D novel I've seen. The T.H. Lain novels certainly don't have one.

I doubt that Chris Pramas from Green Ronin would deliberately lift a character from a D&D novel, given the legal trouble that WotC have given other ex-D&D designers had back in the 3rd Edition era for using things. I bet this is something that Jess Lebow has sneaked into a few places as a kind of Easter egg for fans to find, rather than an intentional connection between New Koratia and Freeport. Maybe it was even in the Green Ronin books before Return of the Damned was published (October 2003). :)

The Green Ronin books are from 2001, and, as mentioned above in the thread, the NPC is open content (unusual, but it happens).

GP
agathokles
Red Dragon

Return to Freeport