My Freeport Campaign

Classic fantasy, swashbuckling pirates, and Lovecraftian horror. Welcome to the City of Adventure!

My Freeport Campaign

Postby Nate Christen » Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:28 am

Inspired by Tim's posts, I've typed up my GM notes to share here.

-Nate

Freeport 2015 Campaign Notes

The Party
Derrick—male human fighter
Edden--male human sorcerer (water elemental)
Roberts—male human swashbuckler
Stout—male human cleric of Wenta
*Parker—male human alchemist
*Salah—male human ranger

*Not currently active

1/27--“Fury in Freeport”
The PCs overheard a ruckus in the auction house and investigated. While Derrick struggled with his omni-tool, Salah went over the wall. Inside were four guards, a halfling and a dretch. Derrick grappled it but was cut down. Stout entangled it and Roberts and Salah slew it. Roberts prevented the halfling—a thief named Severan—from escaping. At the request of Crask Tolberg, and after a prayer/drinking circle led by Stout, the PCs set out to visit the Chumhouse, intending to use Severan to find his employer, Beedle.

2/3--“Fury in Freeport”
The PCs went to the Chumhouse, acted like racists, and thus traced Beedle to the flophouse known as Kergen's Kradle. There they bought half an hour of quality time with their halfling—wink, wink, nudge, nudge—and met Slick a snakeweed dealer. Through dealing with him they learned of Beadle's connection to Delinda Knobertal. At her house they met with Uri Tasovar, a nosy neighbor. As the PCs departed, a possessed Beadle murdered Uri; they apprehended him and the possessing ghost dissipated. Severan escaped.

2/17--“Fury in Freeport”
The PCs defeated the two dretches sent to recover the Emerald Dagger—in large part via Derrick's grappling—and saw the dark rider depart. Research at the Office of Records revealed Melanie Crump's story, and a conversation with Dimetrios implicated O'Takan Farastay as a slaver. After some preparations, the PCs went aboard the Narwhale and a confrontation ensued; they defeated the ship's officers, taking Farastay as their prisoner.

2/24--“Spices and Flesh”
The PCs decided to leave the ship's name as the Narwhale. They agreed to the Admiralty's offer of 500 gp for going to Farastay's rendezvous. A harpy attacked; parker battled her until he fell, and then Roberts cut her down. Roberts climbed to her nest and found a wind fan. A marid with a riddle appeared and Roberts solved it. During a storm, rats swarmed up from the bilge, but the PCs slew them. On meeting the Tamarind, Captain Craw welcomed them aboard and then tried to poison them. While Parker slept, Roberts barred the hatch from above decks and then he and Stout beat Craw into submission.

3/3--“Spices and Flesh”
The PCs took the captured slavers back to Freeport and brought on more soldiers. They left the Narwhale and took the Tamarind and Craw to that ship's destination. There they set up an ambush of the merrow and their mistress; Stout forced one to flee, Shaylonna also fled, and the party defeated the other merrow. They returned to Freeport again, renegotiated their deal with the Admiralty, and then went back to the atoll. There they went into the water, survived some ravenous urchin swarms, slew the other merrow and then defeated Shaylonna.

3/10--“The Lost Island”
The PCs rescued Tristan from the thugs with a show of force, including Roberts' new pistol. After learning his story, they followed him to the Institute and defeated the Long Knives thieves, but Ariana escaped with the Brass Cipher. From there they went to meet Captain Banu, and none could best her at chess. They signed aboard the Akinaka and managed to repel a clockwork spider attack; Derrick leapt onto it, Roberts bent its drill, Stout hit it with sound bursts, Salah peppered it with arrows and Parker hit it with ice bombs.

3/17--“The Lost Island”
The PCs helped weather the storm and rescued the sailors who were swept overboard. During a stop at a nearby island they fought off some giant crabs. Some skeletal champions caused much trouble, but the PCs prevailed. They used various tactics to deal with a doubling rat infestation, and then managed to defeat a wereshark attack.

3/31--“The Lost Island”
The PCs helped fight off an attack by the Bloody Lacedon. They used the wind fan to hinder the attackers' boarding attempt, and then peppered the enemy vessel with the Akinaka's swivel guns. Many enemy sailors fell overboard, but Oswald Greentooth survived to keep command of the Lacedon. Stout held Ghoul Face Raston with a spell; after interrogating him, the PCs left him adrift in a ship's boat at sea. Upon sighting the lost island, they accepted Captain Banu's plan to have them rescue Professor Valducci. On shore they fought off a crocodile that tried to eat Salah; Derrick grappled it, and Roberts and Parker defeated it with bullets and bombs. Then they avoided an assassin vine, pulled Derrick out of some quicksand, ambushed the natives and rescued Rosabelle Valducci.

4/7--“The Lost Island”
The PCs navigated the various hazards and puzzles leading into the volcano; Roberts persuaded Melita to let them pass. They slew the pirate guards and some firebats, and then figured out how to defeat the animated statues. Inside the volcano they defeated Captain Banu and her minions, and then made their way out toward the Akinaka, only to find that Oswald Greentooth had returned with the surviving pirates aboard the Bloody Lacedon.
Last edited by Nate Christen on Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Author of d20pirates.blogspot.com and talesfromtheedgeoftheempire.blogspot.com
Nate Christen
Troll

Re: My Freeport Campaign

Postby timemrick » Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:25 pm

I'm so proud. :D

I like how you made use of Fury in Freeport and The Lost Island with some changes to customize it for your group. I considered running both of those for my own group, but they didn't quite fit with what we were doing. (Much of that is because my players' CN characters aren't very heroic, just mercenary.) I have been able to cannibalize bits & pieces, though--I used the cecaelia and crabs part for one side trek, and plan to have them encounter the Sea Wolf en route to my Gorilla Island adventure.
Tim Emrick, Green Ronin Freebooter and Keeper of the Freeport Errata
Winds of Freeport: My Pathfinder Freeport campaign (2014-2016).
Time of the Tarrasque: My homebrew Pathfinder campaign (2017-).
Studded Plate: My blog about RPGs and LEGO.
Thastygliax's Vault: My other gaming pages.
timemrick
Hekatonkhieres

Postby Nate Christen » Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:59 pm

It's working out nicely. I'm leading into Peril in Freeport, and the slaving elements should help bring it all together. Because the PC's let O'Takan Farastay be captured instead of killed, he'll become an informant with an agenda of his own.

-Nate
Nate Christen
Troll

Postby Nate Christen » Sat May 02, 2015 1:28 pm

Here are a couple of updates.

4/21--"The Lost Island" and "Peril in Freeport"
The PC's, with help from Melita's water breathing spell, drilled holes in the bottom of the Bloody Lacedon; then Roberts walked aboard the Akinaka and freed the captive crew aboard it. In the ensuing battle, they used gunfire, cobat maneuvers and a hold person spell (along with two coup de grace efforts and more) to win the day. Back in Freeport, O'Takan Farastay asked to inform them about slaver actibity, implicating the Safe Passage shipping company.

4/28--"Peril in Freeport"
The PC's decided to keep the Akinaka for themselves, loading it with fourteen swivel guns. They kept on some of Captain Banu's crew. Derrick installed a new mast. Acting on the tip from Farastay, they raided the Safe Passage. There they defeated the slavers, preventing Vandemere from escaping through the underwater tunnel. Now they are preparing to ambush the newly arrived ship.

On a side note, I was eagerly anticipating seeing Sola use her whip against Derrick, the grappler fighter, but he managed to restrain her before she could do so. Because we've been playing with only three players, too, I let each of them control two members of the Freeport Watch. It worked pretty well.

-Nate
Last edited by Nate Christen on Sun May 31, 2015 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nate Christen
Troll

Postby Nate Christen » Sat May 09, 2015 5:21 pm

Here's another update. We've been playing with three PC's recently, due to one player dropping out and another being busy; this has proven a bit challenging. To compensate, I've let the players control one or two Watch members apiece, such as during ship-to-ship combat and the raid on the Safe Passage. That's compensating decently for the small party.

5/5--"Peril in Freeport"
The PCs sent word for the Akinaka to meet them; they approached the Storm and tried to bluff their way aboard it, but the ruse failed. They swept its dcks with swivel guns, but Captain Scranton boarded them. Although the PCs defeated him, Derrick was slain. He was raised and restored, however. Aboard the Storm they found evidence that slaves were being shipped to a little-known island some days' sail from Freeport, and so sailed for it. En route they encountered a pair of mimics amdist some flotsaml they managed to defeat them, and one had an elemental gem in its belly. They also ran into a boat crewed by huecuvas, and blasted them with swivel guns rather than trying to board it.

-Nate
Nate Christen
Troll

Postby Nate Christen » Sun May 31, 2015 8:52 pm

After a bit of a delay, here are two more updates. We've still been playing with three PCs, which has presented a challenge. They can handle some encounters more easily than I suspect, but the oni was too much for them. This resulted in a TPD (defeat, not kill). That ended up being not so bad, however, since that set up a prison break scenario which also gave them their first glimpse of the bigger enemy and the plot that is afoot.

-Nate

5/12--“Peril in Freeport”
The PCs reached the island. There they avoided an ogre/hell hound patrol, and then infestigated the village. They defeated some ogres and orcs, and then another ogre/hell hound patrol, but the oni did bad things to them. Joseph survided, but the other Watch members did not.

5/19--“Peril in Freeport”
The PCs recovered to find themselves in the hags' stronghold, pressed into service as slave labor. During a work shift they turned on their ogre and orc captors and slew them with pickaxes and bare hands. From there they dug their way back into the cell block and freed the other prisoners. In the smithy they slew more enemies and then armed themselves. After that they made a fun for the exit, defeating a sea hag and her ogre minion along the way.
Nate Christen
Troll

Postby Nate Christen » Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:01 pm

We've had an on-again, off-again schedule recently, but now we should settle back into routine.

6/2--"Peril in Freeport"
Edden joined the party, a sorcerer and former prisoner of the hags. Accompanied by swivel-gun-bearing Watchmen, the PCs returned to the hags' island. They ambushed an ogre and hell hound on patrol, and then snuck into the stronghold and got the drop on three more ogres. The oni appeared, however, and blasted them with a cone of cold, forcing a retreat. The party returned to Freeport, learrned of the upcoming Great Hunt, purchased a pair of ballistae and prepared to sail for northern waters.

I wasn't expecting the party to go back to the island this time. While I didn't deliberately lay the smack down on them, I rolled pretty high damage for the oni's cone of cold; one PC had to be carried out of there. Hopefully this sets up the villains so that it'll be enjoyable for the players when their characters finally deliver some comeuppance.

6/16--"Peril in Freeport"
Fueled by rumors of attacks on ships by a tentacled creature in the waters north of Freeport, the PCs set sail to participate in the Great Hunt. En route, the Akinaka was hit by a tidal wave, but the PCs managed to sail through it. Derrick saved a sailor from being swept overboard, with help from the others. Next they encountered the marid Khunufseh again; she had another riddle for them, which they solved. Later the PCs noticed seagulls circling out to sea, and followed them to floating wreckage. They rescued a survivor, Glinder Fontonry, in spite of an attack by a giant moray eel that almost carried away Roberts. Fontonry told them of the attack on his ship by a tentacled sea creature with three eyes, and they recognized this beast as an aboleth. By plotting the currents that carried the wreckage, they found the location of the attack and sailed slowly through it. In the night the ship was attacked by skum. Stout used a circle of protection from evil to defend against the aboleth's mental influence, although it did force Derrick to blast Roberts with one of the swivel guns. Even so, the heroes were able to kill the aboleth, and then used the harpoon-loaded ballistae to recover its body. They brought it back to Freeport, where they were presented with the Hunter's Cup and awarded 5000 gp.
Nate Christen
Troll

Postby Nate Christen » Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:14 pm

For this session I decided to mix it up a little. The PCs had been spending a lot of time at sea, so I wanted to run a scenario in town. I picked up The Golden Banner, because it seemed like a good fit.

http://www.rpgnow.com/product/97484/The ... nner-PFRPG

6/23--"The Golden Banner"
Following their success in winning the Hunter's Cup, the PCs were busy with buying and opening their tavern, the Aboleth Skull. Featured prominently over the bar is that trophy. While they were doing so, they were approached by a well-to-do merchant named Grufus Tinker. One of his crews had recovered a holy relic, the Golden Banner, which had last been carried into battle by forces of the Church of Retribution sent out to Devil's Cry. Grufus had reason to believe that the ball at which he would give it back to the church was threatened by an unknown enemy. Acting on that information, the PCs went to his manor and interviewed some of the staff. Based on what they learned, they decided to set up an ambush for the attackers. At the party, a half-elf and two dwarves came in through a second-story window. While the dwarves battled with the PCs, the half-elf snatched the banner and tried to flee with it. It took a lot of doing, but the PCs managed to stop him. Now they're planning to raid the half-elf's base of operations in order to rescue a hostage there.

For this session I took the published scenario and modified the background story to fit Freeport. The enemies are agents of the Obsidian Brotherhood, who didn't want the Banner in the hands of those who might use it against them. This helps tie back into The Lost Island and Peril in Freeport.

-Nate
Nate Christen
Troll

Postby Nate Christen » Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:11 pm

6/30--The Golden Banner
The PCs scouted out the warehouse, including having Derrick go into the sewers beneath it. They also arranged for members of the Watch to come knocking on the front door as they sneaked in through <ahem> the privy. They made quick work of the goons, especially when Edden uncorked a fireball into the barracks room. Roberts and Derrick led the attack onto the upper level, eventually defeating the evil cleric and his summoned demon ally.

For this week's session, I'm thinking of running the "Harbinger" section of Peril in Freeport, and increasing the villains by adding O'Takan Farastay (from "Fury in Freeport") into the mix.

-Nate
Nate Christen
Troll

Postby Nate Christen » Wed Jul 08, 2015 3:13 pm

7/7--"Peril in Freeport"
While passing by the docks, the PCs noticed the signs of an incoming tidal wave and fled to higher ground until after it had passed. REturning to the docks, they found various people in difficulties. Roberts dove into the water to rescue a woman whose rowboat had overturned; Derrick and Edden waded in amidst the wreckage of a pier to retrieve two wounded sailors; Otto used a fly spell and a rope to retrieve a sailor being dragged out by the undertow. An orca came swimming into the area, and Edden and Roberts used an iceball spell and a lobbed grenade to soften it up before Derrick faced it in hand-to-hand combat. Otto finished it with a magic missile, so Derrick never had the chance to learn if he could have handled it.

As they helped with the cleanup, the PCs found an overturned boat filled with empty shackles; they found Sergeant Yarrick of the watch, who informed them that it was taking four criminals out to the hulks. One of them was O'Takan Farastay. The PCs used information gathering and tracking to pick up the trail, and followed it up through the Warehouse District and into the Merchant District. There they found the shop of Robin the Seamstress, which had been burglarized. They rescued the bound and gagged woman and pieced together the clues, that the villains had donned fresh clothing and hired a cab out front. They hired their own cab and went in pursuit to the Docks, using a copy of the Shipping News to deduce that the villains were looking for a ship departing soon.

At the docks they found their quarry. Otto cast blindness on the barbarian, and then Edden put a patch of grease underneath him. Derrick charged into battle, but succumbed to a scare spell, took a boat and started rowing away. Roberts shot O'Takan, scoring a critical hit and killing him outright. Then the PCs teamed up on the remaining rogue and sorcerer, and won the day.

In the aftermath of this, the PCs have learned that O'Takan was visited in his cell in the Tombs by Torya Irontooth, so they're planning on paying a visit to her enclave in Bloodsalt.
Nate Christen
Troll

Postby timemrick » Fri Jul 10, 2015 4:03 am

I love how you're cannibalizing your own module into the mix here, Nate. :cool:
Tim Emrick, Green Ronin Freebooter and Keeper of the Freeport Errata
Winds of Freeport: My Pathfinder Freeport campaign (2014-2016).
Time of the Tarrasque: My homebrew Pathfinder campaign (2017-).
Studded Plate: My blog about RPGs and LEGO.
Thastygliax's Vault: My other gaming pages.
timemrick
Hekatonkhieres

Postby Nate Christen » Fri Jul 10, 2015 4:55 pm

Thanks, Tim.

There's a bit of a story behind this. Fifteen years ago, when 3rd Edition was brand new, the RPGA held an adventure design contest. I worked on a scenario, set in Greyhawk, but the contest was never resolved. I think there may have been some restructuring at WotC.

A few years later, my brother and I were working on a submission as a possible set of D&D Open tournament adventures. Since I had the old manuscript lying around, I cannibalized parts of it for that project. It ended up not being selected, and shortly thereafter writing of the D&D Open scenarios was taken in-house by the RPGA/WotC.

Since I had an expanded manuscript, with no outlet for it, I pitched it to Gareth Michael-Skarka at Adamant Entertainment, back around 2008. To my great joy, he accepted it. I did some retooling and submitted it. That, of course, was right around the time that WotC put out 4th Edition, and the project was put on the back burner for a while. Three years later, with the successful release of Pathfinder, we dusted off the old scenario and adapted it, and GMS published it.

The only problem now is that I've already used part of it in previous Freeport campaigns--the second chapter. That's why I used O'Takan Farastay to direct the PCs toward raiding the Safe Passage. Doing that led them to visiting the ogres' island, and I tried an encounter with an oni, but it went poorly. After the PCs woke up and managed to escape from the hags' lair, I thought they might leave well enough alone for a while, but they marched right back into the stronghold for another beatdown.

Now, of course, they're spending some time back in port, building up their strength. The main problem is that they killed Farastay, who was going to be their main lead to more information. What I've come to realize, however, is that there are lots of people with information about these developments, ones who tie all of this business neatly into the history of Freeport. For example:

-The Obsidian Brotherhood, introduced in Cults of Freeport and further developed in The Lost Island, makes a natural addition to the hags' efforts at spawning wicked beasts.

-Torya Irontooth is introduced early in The Lost Island, and thus knows something about what's been going on in town.

-She, in turn, is being harassed by the Rakeshames, who have connections to Mendor Maeorgan and thus the Sea Lady. This delights me, because one of my current players ran through the original Freeport Trilogy back in the day, and so he should like the connection to the Joy Boys. He and the other players in the campaign gave Melchior Maeorgan the nickname "Milk My Organ," which forever prevented them from taking that villain seriously.

-While Arianna Lightfeather managed to steal the Brass Cipher, the crime boss Finn seems to pay some attention to her. He could trade information for the PCs' service.

-Mr. Wednesday certainly keeps tabs on the Rakeshames, since he dealt harshly with the Joy Boys.

-A visit to 100 Wave Avenue would take one of my players back to a location from the original Trilogy.

All in all, the situation is turning into a real sandbox, and I'm very much enjoying how much of the history and culture of the city is coming into play.

-Nate
Nate Christen
Troll

Postby Nate Christen » Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:43 pm

We had a shorter session this week.

-Nate

7/14--"Peril in Freeport"
The PCs met with Torya Irontooth at her enclave in the Bloodsalt District. She told them about her father's history with the Brass Cipher, and also brought up some problems she's been having with the Rakeshames. During the discussion, an explosion in a Reclamation Project warehouse drew in the PCs to fight the fire and rescue injured people. After doing so, they learned from a survivor that the explosion was triggered by someone who then fled into the sewers. By tracking the assailant, the PCs--after fighting off a black pudding and a couple of shambling mounds--found their way to a secret door. They don't know it, but they're underneath 100 Wave Avenue in the Merchant District.
Nate Christen
Troll

Postby Nate Christen » Sat Aug 22, 2015 2:51 pm

We had to miss a couple of sessions due to real life issues, but now we're back into the swing of things. Events are building toward a return to the hags' stronghold.

-Nate

7/28--"Peril in Freeport"
The PCs ventured into the secret passage, triggering an alarm spell. They tried to pose as cultists, but failed in the Bluff attempt and started a fight. An iceball and a grenade turned the tide. Otto tried to use an illusory ghost of Sea Lord Drac to confirm that this was the house of Mendor Maeorgan, and so Roberts went to visit the Sea Lady to inform her of the cult's temple. During the ensuing arrest, Severan the halfling rogue offered to trade information from Finn for Malachi the Marooned, who'd fled to Felix's Ruin on Windward Isle. The PCs sailed there, facing a swarm of degenerate serpent folk ghouls as they landed.

8/11--"The Crisis"
The PCs ventured into Felix's Ruin, chatted with the bartender there and arranged to meet with Andrea Blax. They paid her 500 gp to let them take Malachi unhindered. They used silence and knock spells to enter the room, along with haste for all and bull's strength on Derrick. When Derrick jumped on the bed to grapple Malachi, however, it collapsed (natural 1 on the combat maneuver check). The others rushed the room, however, and managed to subdue him. They took him back to the Akinaka, and then stormed the Dark Desire and took it, too. Back in Freeport, Severan arranged for them to meet with Finn at the Halfling Benevolent Association.

8/18--"The Cult"
The meeting was moved to the Aboleth's Skull, where Finn and the Sea Lady were in attendance. Lady Maeorgan arranged for the PCs to claim the value of the cargo from the Dark Desire, while Finn took the ship. Malachi then led the PCs across A'Val to the Wanderer's Rest. En route, the PCs fought off an attack by a warped and maddened treant. Their gunfire alerted the cultists, however, who sent Hobson to investigate. He came with invisibility, but they still detected his presence. Edden hit him with an iceball, and then the others ran him down and subdued him.
Nate Christen
Troll

Postby Nate Christen » Sat Aug 29, 2015 12:32 pm

This session wrapped up the business that prepared the heroes for the finale of Peril in Freeport. I'm excited to see them have another shot at the oni. Additionally, I played it with having Xyrades at the stronghold, but he's going to be the person in the Depths for the final confrontation.

-Nate

8/25--"The Cult"
Accompanied by Malachi the Marooned, the capture Hobson and members of the City Watch, the PCs went to the Wanderer's Rest. They bribed Hobson to help them by turning his men against the cultists. He played along, but turned on them after the fighting started. Derrick and Roberts waded into the throng while Edden hurled spells and Stout channeled energy against Vickers. After defeating the cultists, they reported back to the powers that be and began planning their return to the hags' stronghold.
Nate Christen
Troll

Postby Nate Christen » Mon Sep 14, 2015 12:39 am

The past two sessions wrapped up Peril in Freeport. Now I'm looking to run Scourge of the Steaming Isle as an interlude, followed by Dark Deeds in Freeport.

-Nate

9/1--"Peril in Freeport"
The PCs approached the island with the hags' stronghold under a new moon; they rowed ashore and managed to avoid a patrol. Then they found the back entrance and slipped inside it, with an invisible Roberts leading the way. He unloaded some pistols into the ogres in the common room. During the ensuing melee, the PCs used grappling, spells, stabs and shots to beat the oni. That was followed by more stabbing and punching. When the hags appeared, Derrick, bulled rushed them and Roberts waded into melee. Edden dropped an iceball on them all. Stout used briar armor to defeat the last hell hound.

In the aftermath, the PCs learned that Xyrades had fled into the pool/portal to complete his excavation and ritual for the Wanderer.

9/8--"Peril in Freeport"
Khunufseh aided the heroes by granting them water breathing. The PCs stepped through the portal/pool and into pitch darkness. While they couldn't see, a fiendish giant squid set upon them. Notably, it missed Edden (with a natural 1) and he was able to create light. Much grappling ensued, along with stabs and punches from Roberts and Derrick (who'd been granted free action). Xyrades used this time to buff himself, and then cast Evard's black tentacles. Derrick and Roberts charged him, but he dominated Derrick and turned him against his captain. Stout managed to escape the tentacles and enter the fray, but was changed into a turtle via baleful polymorph. With 1 hp left, Roberts tumbled around Derrick and ran Xyrades through with his rapier.

In the aftermath, Khunufseh the Marid has offered to return Stout to his human form--if the PCs will undertake some business for her, that is.
Nate Christen
Troll

Postby Nate Christen » Thu Sep 17, 2015 5:19 am

For this session I started running Scourge of the Steaming Isle, an interlude before moving into Dark Deeds in Freeport. The big change I'm making is that the ruins in the module are Valossan. The PCs also received more information going into the situation than was specified in the scenario.

-Nate

9/15--"Scourge of the Steaming Isle"
The PCs accepted Khunufseh's offer--eliminate Skulberd Crags and his band of pirates in exchange for restoring Brother Stout to human form. Rather than sailing into the harbor, however, they decided to go around the backside of the caldera, have their crew drop them off on the island, and then trek over the ridge to the other side. Once there, they used dimension door to appear in the camp, and then Edden hit the barracks with a fireball. They then used dimension door again to escape into the woods. At that point, when Captain Crags sent patrols out to look for them, they ambushed one patrol with a combination of entangle, silence, a free acting and grappling Derrick and ranged attacks. Then they used a third dimension door to move to another part of the beach, where they ambushed the bucket brigade. then cast water breathing and walked back into the ocean. All in all, they left the remaining pirates and the officers bewildered. It was a fun session of hit-and-run action, but the big bad guys remain to challenge the heroes next week.
Nate Christen
Troll

Postby Nate Christen » Sun Sep 27, 2015 8:53 pm

9/22--"The Scourge of Steaming Isle"
Continuing their success from the previous session, the PCs slipped aboard the pirates' vessel as it lied at anchor. While Derrick and Roberts made quick work of the skeleton crew aboard it, Edden began hitting Captain Crags, on the shore, with ice- and fireball spells. Seeing that, Bosun Corastine ran to the underground complex for help. At her urging, Yohannas Quay made his appearance. The wizard made himself invisible and then used overland flight to approach the ship. From that point, he began throwing fireballs of his own. He also hit Derrick with flesh to stone. Facing that threat, the remaining heroes opted to flee the scene, plotting their return.

-Nate
Nate Christen
Troll

Postby Nate Christen » Sun Oct 11, 2015 2:08 am

9/29--"Scourge of the Steaming Isle"
The PCs pursued the Storm Wolf aboard the Akinaka. As they closed with it, they sent Captain Roberts, granted invisibility and the ability to fly, to ambush Yohannes Quay. Then a boarding action commenced. Quay was able to lob a few spells, but Roberts made quick work of him. Meanwhile, Edden and Brother Stout led the battle against the enemy sailors. When the crystal guardian appeared, Khunufseh used her magic to remove Derrick's petrification, and the heroes were able to win the day.

-Nate
Nate Christen
Troll

Postby Nate Christen » Fri Oct 23, 2015 1:02 am

This session marks the beginning of Dark Deeds in Freeport. Although I helped playtest the introductory scenarios for it back in the day, I'm excited to use it in a campaign.

-Nate

10/13--"Dead Men Tell No Tales"
Roberts received the invitation to dine from Finn. The party met him at Maurice's, discussed his recent setbacks and then headed for the safehouse. (In doing so, Derrick learned that there are more than two kinds of wine.) At the safehouse they found evidence--including interviews with neighbors--leading to the Dead Docks. There they played dead, convincing Jeeves to bring them inside. Once this ruse was revealed, Derrick grappled with Jeeves, and the others used spells, shots, stabs and channeled energy to defeat the juju zombies. Then they fought off the shadows in a similar manner.

10/20--"Dead Men Tell No Tales"
The PCs ventured down the stairs in the Dead Docks, with Derrick in the lead. Burek hit them with a flame strike, but Roberts was still able to charge and stab him, thus keeping him busy until Derrick could grapple him. Edden hit him with enervation, and then Roberts ran him through with his rapier. Amidst the other loot, the PCs found the Book of Buried Secrets. Following the lead from it,* they sought out the family of the late Lady Merrit and confirmed that her son was working for Mr. Wednesday. On a tip from Randall Walsh, Sr, they tracked down the son at the Sign of the Fortunate and captured him. After delivering him to Finn, they learned that Randall Walsh Jr. had acquired his information about Finn's operation from the Oracle of Dreaming Street.

*My players really took to finding the moles in Finn's operation. While the safehouse robbery was set up by Burek after speaking with the dead Jarvis. that didn't account for the arrest of the Watch members. For that reason, I let them follow the lead to Lady Merrit's family, thereby setting up the action in "The Oracle of Dreaming Street."
Nate Christen
Troll

Postby Nate Christen » Fri Nov 20, 2015 5:50 am

Here are some updates.

-Nate

10/27--"The Oracle of Dreaming Street"
Following their informant's information, the PCs entered the Brothel. Stout opted to wait out on the porch, though. When the tradpoor was triggered, the others battled the otyughs. Stout released them and they headed into the central chamber on the main level. Derrick and Roberts made quick work of the medusa, but one of her minions escaped. Derrick grappled the rakshasa and the others slowly slew her. Edden took down the stone golem, as well as the stairs, with a grease spell, and then everyone fled the scene through an upstairs window.

11/3--"TOoDS" / "Thieves & Thoughtwipes"
While going about business around town, the heroes stumbled ran into a rampaging stone golem. Edden helped a local prostitute escape the scene via a teleport spell. Roberts engaged in a quick shopping spree to acquire some adamantine weapons and then waded into battle. From a safe position atop a nearby building, Edden engaged in some betting on the fight. The remaining PCs defeated the golem, and Edden won 500 gp.

While settling this business, the PCs received a letter from C.Q. Calame. They met with him, and he sent them with Roma Peafox to find Aletha Dorch in exchange for a good review from her of the Aboleth Skull tavern in the Shipping News. To give that establishment a touch of class, they have decorated it with stone whores and pixies from the Torchlight Academy.

11/10--"Thieves & Thoughtwipes"
The PCs met with Aletha Dorch and heard her cryptic mumbling. When Peafox insulted Bofort Timms, Roberts restored order with the crack of his pistol and a Diplomacy check. (I will admit that I was secretly hoping for a "This is my boomstick" speech.) They made their way to the Sensible Squid, watched the Unrepentant's arrival and then sent Derrick (invisible and silenced) to examine the cargo while Edden and Roberts distracted the bugbear crewmembers by betting on their fights. Derrick, finding the chest containing the thoughtwipes, drew them into his gauntlet of storing. The PCs learned of their power and hired Robin the Tailor to make substitutes. After observing the merchants who'd intended to buy them--only to find that they were missing--Edden and Roberts followed one of them back to the Merchant District and interrogated him about his intentions. Back at the Unrepentant, Derrick delivered the fake goods to the hobgoblins and managed to frame the bosun for selling them to a local criminal.

(In the aftermath of this scenario, Captain Sarangay is still alive, giving me the opportunity to have him show up during later scenarios.)

11/17--"Truth Sunders"
The PCs encountered an escapee in the street; Derrick engaged him and was affected by a warpwave before Edden hit him with hold monster. They tracked the fellow back to the Chambers Asylum, where they met with Timms Bofort and heard tell of Aletha Dorch's confinement. The PCs found the keys on one of the dead guards but missed the secret door. After sweeping the south end of the basement, they intervened in the big battle between the axiomites and the primordial life-anchors. In this they managed to defeat the axiomites, and now they are exploring the north end of the basement.
Nate Christen
Troll

Postby Nate Christen » Wed Nov 25, 2015 3:18 pm

I'm deleting this post because it's redundant.

-Nate
Last edited by Nate Christen on Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nate Christen
Troll

Postby Nate Christen » Sun Jan 10, 2016 4:44 pm

Huh. It seems that, with the holidays, I haven't updated this journal for a while. Here goes.

-Nate

11/24--"Truth Sunders"
The PCs continued exploring the north end of the Chambers Asylum's basement. They found Lady Abeline Zoran and read her cryptic scrawlings, and then observed the primordial life anchors in the barracks and decided just to lock them into it. Edden used detect secret doors to find the hidden stairway leading upward. Emerging from it, they found, incapacitated and then revived and questioned Ezma the cook. Per her information, they skipped much of the building's middle level and sought out Bianka Altanish on the upper floor. Derrick beat open a wine cabinet, bringing a confrontation with Bianka and Vahgren. Edden held her while Derrick and Roberts double-teamed him. After more searching they found the other survivors and now know to seek out Harcourt Horkel.

12/1--"Granthu's Lair"
The PCs sought and found Harcourt Horkel. When Roberts pulled a pistol on him, he cast improved invisibility and fled; they pursued. Roberts slipped, Derrick surfed, and Stout dove down the sewer tunnel; Edden assumed air elemental form and flew. After Horkel fell in the water, Edden hit him with some magic missiles and Stout landed on top of him, killing him. In the water they battled the shoggti qlippoth with black tentacles; Roberts was grappled but managed to escape.

After being healed, they boarded the dimensional galleon. When the balmorak demons appeared, the PCs defeated them using an ice storm, various kinds of lightning, stabs and punches. Then they decided to hole up aboard the ship for the night.

12/8--"Granthu's Lair"
The PCs started the next day by venturing into the dimensional galleon's navigation chamber. The haunt overwhelmed Roberts, but Edden used a hold person spell to keep him from gouging out his own eyes and Derrick dragged him back out of the chamber. After that, Edden used another elemental form to explore the qlippoth's lair and find its treasure. Venturing into the Valossan ruins, they encountered, engaged and slew the serpent person revenants. Roberts ventured into the dining hall, but he saw the advanced fiendish black pudding and managed to flee before it could attack. Edden sealed the door with a wizard lock. Across the hall they faced off against the degenerate serpent folk barbarians and defeated them. Then they headed for the arcane laboratory, where Stout forced open the stuck door using the newly acquired ring of the ram. The water that flooded into the chamber broke the circle that held the demon. It took down Derrick after Stout's attempt to banish it failed, but Roberts managed to slay it. Stout revived Derrick with a breath of life.

12/15--"Granthu's Lair"
After resting again aboard the dimensional galleon, the PCs continued exploring. Roberts tested one of the knowledge crystals in the library and made his Will save so as not to be disturbed by it. In the passage beyond the libraries the party faced off against the advanced fiendish black pudding. Roberts used swordplay to cut it down to size, and Stout used a blade barrier to good effect against it. In the operating theater the PCs survived the bodak's death gaze and the alchemical golem's bombs and pummeling. Derrick failed to grapple the golem, but they still managed to win the day. In the last room they triggered the magical pillars and had to defeat shadowy versions of Derrick and Roberts.
Nate Christen
Troll

Postby Nate Christen » Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:27 am

After a short break for the holidays, we resumed play.

1/5--"Granthu's Lair"
Following another rest aboard the dimensional galleon, the PCs returned to the chamber with the pillars and defeated the projected versions of Derrick and Roberts. The false Derrick managed to grapple the real one. They then passed through the serpent's maw, with Roberts taking the worst of it. Granthu tried to negotiate with the PCs, but failed, so it dominated Edden in order to make him leave with the lantern. Stout blocked the exit with a wall of thorns, however. Granthu used its horrific appearance on the others, followed by improved invisibility and a barrage of fireballs. When Stout acquired the lantern and tried to put it atop the pedestal, Granthu created a spiked pit underneath him. The cleric managed to airwalk out of it, however, and thus returned it to its rightful place and thus restored Granthu's bonding ritual. Exiting from the Valossan ruins, the PCs found Captain Sarangay and his crew waiting for them.

1/12--Granthu's Lair
The PCs made quick work of the minotaur and his minions, using a combination of black tentacles, a blade barrier, fireballs and pistol shots. After winning the day they returned to the surface, cleaned themselves up and went shopping. They also went to the Unrepentant and negotiated a deal for the crew to abandon it.
Nate Christen
Troll

Postby Nate Christen » Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:55 am

1/19--"The Kopru Ruins"
The PCs contacted the Freeport Institute, including Tristan Kale and Torya Irontooth, and asked them to help excavate the dimensional galleon. They took High Priest Egil (from the Temple of Boccob) to see it, and he decided to seek out K'Stallo in order to help them remove the haunt. Later Egil brought Laria Syrtis to meet them at the Aboleth's Skull. She propsed recruiting them to clean out the Kopru ruins in exchange for elven lore regarding the serpent folk and their dimensional galleon, and the PCs agreed. After stocking up on potions of water breathing and scrolls of freedom of movement, they set sail for the ruins. En route, a sea serpent attacked the Akinaka. It did not succeed. (I rolled a natural one for its attack to capsize the ship, and then they cut loose on it offensively.) Upon reaching the ruins, Edden did some scouting in elemental form. Two kopru approached the Akinaka but were dissuaded by Roberts's pistol shots.

1/26--"The Kopru Ruins"
Acting upon Edden's scouting of the ruins, Brother Stout used stone shape to make an entrance through the dome in the underwater complex. The PCs dove in through that, bringing with them the stone golem that they took from Captain Sarangay's crew. Edden used an arcane lock to keep out any reinforcements, and then disintegrated the kopru matron. Roberts and Derrick beat down the other guards. Opening the door to the rest of the complex, the PCs used their stone golem, a holy smite, a coldball and general melee to handle the guards who'd amassed there. While exploring the rest of the complex, they found a room filled with elders and children; they sicced the golem on those enemies and sealed the door with another arcane lock. In another room they faced two giant squids but handled them quickly. Roberts solved the water puzzle. They also found lots of empty rooms, only to discover that their remaining enemies had gathered in the ruined chambers; this incluced a couple of mosasaurs and more kopru. This proved to be a much more challenging fight, but Stout changed the odds with a blade barrier. He was almost eaten by a mosasaur, but the other PCs saved him before it could do so. Having won the day, they looted the ruins and returned to their ship.
Nate Christen
Troll

Next

Return to Freeport