More Freeport News from Green Ronin

Classic fantasy, swashbuckling pirates, and Lovecraftian horror. Welcome to the City of Adventure!

More Freeport News from Green Ronin

Postby timemrick » Tue Oct 20, 2015 1:46 am

From the Green Ronin site:
Ronin Round Table: Within the Coils – The World of Freeport Expands

October 19, 2015

Freeport: City of Adventure is the biggest book Green Ronin has ever produced, and is a huge part of the Freeport Kickstarter we ran. While that Kickstarter still has a few straggling items to be fulfilled (we’re working on the Hero Lab files, the serpentman figure, Return to Freeport, and all the other rewards people still have coming), we also need to look at how we’re going to support the Freeport line going forward.

So far Freeport: City of Adventure is one of two big Pathfinder-compatible hardbacks we’ve released in the past few years, the other being the amazingly popular Advanced Bestiary. While those big books have been a lot of fun to produce and extremely satisfying to complete, they also take a lot of time and effort. Especially with a number of things taking longer than we’d hoped, it doesn’t seem like a good time to plan many more 300+ page books in the near future. But we DO want to continue to explore and expand the world of Freeport, and support the Pathfinder Roleplaying Game.

So, starting this winter we’ll begin releasing some short World of Freeport pdfs. These will be general Pathfinder-compatible products that present a wide range of game material (ranging from advice on campaign themes to new weapon enhancements and even new character classes) and detailing how that material can be used to expand the world beyond the City of Freeport. This will allow us to both offer new products to our Pathfinder fans, and see which of the places that we’ve only mentioned in passing in previous Freeport books our customers want to learn more about.

We DO have plans for more big, beautiful books ranging from a bestiary to possibly an expanded campaign setting, but rather than make everyone wait months in between every big release, we hope to establish some smaller, easier, more manageable options fans of both Freeport and Pathfinder can enjoy in regular doses. I’ll be watching fan feedback on these releases more intently than usual, so I can see if some concept or region becomes an early frontrunner for more products and greater expansion.

The World of Freeport is an amazing and dangerous place. We’d like to start to share more of it with you.

Owen K.C. Stephens

Pathfinder RPG Developer
Tim Emrick, Green Ronin Freebooter and Keeper of the Freeport Errata
Winds of Freeport: My Pathfinder Freeport campaign (2014-2016).
Time of the Tarrasque: My homebrew Pathfinder campaign (2017-).
Studded Plate: My blog about RPGs and LEGO.
Thastygliax's Vault: My other gaming pages.
timemrick
Hekatonkhieres

Re: More Freeport News from Green Ronin

Postby timemrick » Tue Oct 20, 2015 1:49 am

This is wonderful news for us Freeport fanboys. I'm guessing that with the focus being on smaller, more frequent offerings for a while, it will be a good time for freelancers interested in the setting. I hope so, anyway--I would love to have the chance to work on more Freeport material again!
timemrick
Hekatonkhieres

Postby Big Mac » Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:54 pm

Is there going to be a world map, with sealanes on it (like Anna Meyer puts onto her Greyhawk map)?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby timemrick » Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:33 pm

Big Mac wrote:Is there going to be a world map, with sealanes on it (like Anna Meyer puts onto her Greyhawk map)?

We'll have to wait and see. As we discussed some time ago, a World of Freeport map would not be as straightforward a project as it would be for other worlds. But I'm hoping that the mystic navigator PrC gets an update, since it's missing from the current PF sourcebook.
timemrick
Hekatonkhieres

Postby Havard » Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:49 pm

More Freeport stuff is always a good thing. I am much more interested in Freeport itself and its more immediate surroundings than a greater world since my Freeport is found in Mystara anyway. But more adventures, a bestiary and other Freeport material is definitely something I would be interested in :)

-Havard

The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby timemrick » Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:49 am

In today's Ronin Round Table: "Moving Day – Adding Freeport to Other Campaigns," Owen Stephens gives several quick suggestions for how to use as much or little of Freeport as you want in your own campaign.

In the "Use Everything" section, he gives a very concise summary of the "coils of Yig" cosmology that we've discussed here from time to time, and what that can mean for your game if you use it. He doesn't explicitly compare Freeport to Sigil or the Rock of Bral, but the parallels should be obvious to all of you Planescape or Spelljammer fans.
timemrick
Hekatonkhieres

Postby timemrick » Sun Apr 03, 2016 2:54 am

Green Ronin has released the first three PDFs in their "Pathfinder Short Cuts" series. You can get them in the GR Online Store for $2.95-$3.95 each. I downloaded, read, and created errata pages for them today:
  • "Magic Firearms in Freeport": New weapon qualities designed for firearms, plus some new magic ammunition.
  • "Inquisitor Spells of Freeport": Inquisition-themed spells, most of which can also be used by other classes (including the spellcasting classes from the Advanced Class Guide and Occult Adventures). This installment starts off with a short section about handling uncommon divine spells in a campaign, so that divine spellcaster PCs aren't flooded with new options every time the GM allows a new resource into the game. (This feature alone makes this my favorite entry in the series so far!)
  • "Fifty Campaign Themes": Ideas for themes for fantasy campaigns suitable for any setting, but each has a brief mention of how they fit into Freeport.
timemrick
Hekatonkhieres

Postby timemrick » Mon May 22, 2017 9:58 pm

The Freeport Bestiary is in pre-order now.

I got to see a near-final draft in order to help do some last-minute proofreading, and it's going to be an amazing book! It updates numerous classic Freeport monsters and introduces many more. It includes creatures of every type and terrain, native to many different parts of the World of Freeport, and all easily portable to other settings.
timemrick
Hekatonkhieres

Postby Havard » Tue May 23, 2017 7:15 pm

timemrick wrote:The Freeport Bestiary is in pre-order now.

I got to see a near-final draft in order to help do some last-minute proofreading, and it's going to be an amazing book! It updates numerous classic Freeport monsters and introduces many more. It includes creatures of every type and terrain, native to many different parts of the World of Freeport, and all easily portable to other settings.

Cool, I am definitely looking forward to this one. I am very curious to see what new creatures will be included! Has any of that been leaked yet? :)

-Havard

The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby timemrick » Tue May 23, 2017 8:34 pm

Havard wrote:I am very curious to see what new creatures will be included! Has any of that been leaked yet? :)

The product page mentions the sail dragon, harpoon crab, corsair drake, and witch beast, but apart from that, I don't believe so.

However, the book appears to be available in PDF form now, too, so I don't mind mentioning a few of my favorite new creatures:
  • Corsair drakes, man-sized, vaguely humanoid, dragons who live as swashbuckling pirates.
  • Haint sharks, ghostly undead sharks that can fly in fog and storms.
  • Kheppi, giant desert beetles that can generate balls of energy. [Perfect for an adventure in Hamunaptra, where they would be sacred.]
  • Living encrustation, a giant barnacle-like horror that can take control of a ship and its crew.
  • Werehagfish--as disgusting as it sounds.
  • Piesa, adapted from the Native American legends about the massive Piasa Bird.
  • Shojo, a fey race who craft and consume intoxicants.
  • Sunakake Baba, or sand witch, a kami who protect beaches and coastlines.
timemrick
Hekatonkhieres

Return to Freeport