Chris Pramas running a Fantasy Age Freeport game

Classic fantasy, swashbuckling pirates, and Lovecraftian horror. Welcome to the City of Adventure! Hamunaptra, Naranjan and other World of Freeport subsettings can be discussed here.

Chris Pramas running a Fantasy Age Freeport game

Postby Big Mac » Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:41 am

Chris Pramas just said that he is running a weekly Freeport game using Fantasy Age rules:
Chris Pramas on Facebook wrote:After a crazy con season, we're finally getting back to a regular game on Monday nights. I'm running a Fantasy AGE Freeport campaign.

I asked him about it and he said that Green Ronin would be doing a Fantasy Age Freeport Companion at some point.

I don't know what the timescale on that is.

I've just asked if he has any quick and dirty conversion notes that he is able to share with fans. If I hear back from him, I'll pass it on.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: Chris Pramas running a Fantasy Age Freeport game

Postby timemrick » Wed Oct 21, 2015 3:59 am

The AGE Freeport Companion was promised as a reward for the Freeport: The City of Adventure Kickstarter. There was a backer update in August that said that no specifics had been decided yet, but it would be discussed at GR's annual summit (which was last month). I'm guessing that those plans are still pretty nebulous at this point, but that Pramas's new weekly game will help give some shape to that project. (FWIW, he replied to that FB post that he's just winging it for now.)
Tim Emrick, Green Ronin Freebooter and Keeper of the Freeport Errata
Winds of Freeport: My Pathfinder Freeport campaign (2014-2016).
Time of the Tarrasque: My homebrew Pathfinder campaign (2017-).
Studded Plate: My blog about RPGs and LEGO.
Thastygliax's Vault: My other gaming pages.
timemrick
Hekatonkhieres

Postby Big Mac » Mon May 02, 2016 5:57 pm

Have there been any other backer updates about this, since August?
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Havard » Mon May 02, 2016 6:15 pm

Interesting,
I recently picked up Fantasy AGE, but I haven't had much time to look at it yet. Is there anything in Fantasy AGE that lends itself particularly well to Freeport?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Krimson » Mon May 02, 2016 7:39 pm

I've read through Fantasy Age and it's pretty much another d20 fork. It's pretty easy to grasp and making characters feels not too dissimilar to D&D. What i'm waiting for though is the AGE version of Blue Rose which I backed. I have the original and almost all the True20 stuff so I look forward to it.
Krimson
The Melnibonéan

Postby Big Mac » Tue May 03, 2016 12:40 am

Krimson wrote:I've read through Fantasy Age and it's pretty much another d20 fork. It's pretty easy to grasp and making characters feels not too dissimilar to D&D. What i'm waiting for though is the AGE version of Blue Rose which I backed. I have the original and almost all the True20 stuff so I look forward to it.

I created a topic about the Blue Rose AGE Kickstarter, back in July 2015, but have not had any replies yet.

Perhaps you could pop over and say how the Kickstarter went (if there was stretch goals and stuff) and how much has happened so far...if you get time. :)

There have been a few topics about Blue Rose at The Piazza, since 2011, but maybe, if this AGE version causes a revival (or if people that like Blue Rose know of some old-school Blue Rose fans they can invite over) there might be a bespoke Blue Rose forum at The Piazza one day.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby timemrick » Wed May 04, 2016 5:05 am

I've just replied to that BR AGE thread with what I know (as a backer) of the project's progress.

I haven't heard anything recently about the Freeport AGE book (or Pramas's home game). I'm guessing that GR needs to finish up the BR book and the Fantasy AGE Bestiary (both slated for summer release) before they can shift more attention to Freeport AGE.

I expect that Fantasy AGE will appeal to fans of Freeport that want a much simpler rules system than v.3.0/3.5 and Pathfinder, which almost all of the line's support has been so far. (Even I have been facing a steep learning curve with that huge Pathfinder book, because it draws material from many more sources than I have acquired and assimilated so far. So by the time I start my next Freeport campaign, AGE may be much more attractive option.)

There are a number of things that need to be added to the existing Fantasy AGE rules to make it handle Freeport well enough to satisfy dedicated fans of the setting:
  • The three-class system is very limited in its current form. It doesn't allow multi-classing or any other way to mix class features, so it can't model clerics, paladins, and bards (for example).
  • It needs a much larger bestiary--which is on its way.
  • It needs more spells, because Freeport is a magnet for diverse magical traditions. The Blue Rose game will include a much-expanded list of arcana, which should help.
  • Lovecraftian horror requires rules for insanity and forbidden lore. Blue Rose will include rules for Corruption, which serves a similar purpose, so that may be serve as a starting point here.
And one more thing, just a personal preference of my own: I would love to see The Ironjack Legacy converted to Fantasy AGE. It's a wonderful little whirlwind tour of the city.
Tim Emrick, Green Ronin Freebooter and Keeper of the Freeport Errata
Winds of Freeport: My Pathfinder Freeport campaign (2014-2016).
Time of the Tarrasque: My homebrew Pathfinder campaign (2017-).
Studded Plate: My blog about RPGs and LEGO.
Thastygliax's Vault: My other gaming pages.
timemrick
Hekatonkhieres

Postby Big Mac » Wed May 04, 2016 12:25 pm

timemrick wrote:I've just replied to that BR AGE thread with what I know (as a backer) of the project's progress.

Thanks for that Tim. I'll head over there.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Return to Freeport