Yellow Sign in Pathfinder: Strange Aeons AP

Classic fantasy, swashbuckling pirates, and Lovecraftian horror. Welcome to the City of Adventure!

Yellow Sign in Pathfinder: Strange Aeons AP

Postby Havard » Thu Jul 14, 2016 3:32 pm

Looking at the list of Pathfinder Adventure Paths, I just realized that the AP called Strange Aeons makes references to the Yellow Sign, Hastur and other elements from the Cthulhu Mythos. Has anyone considered using this as a Freeport Crossover?

-Havard

The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Re: Yellow Sign in Pathfinder: Strange Aeons AP

Postby timemrick » Thu Aug 11, 2016 4:53 am

From the blurbs on the Paizo product page, it sounds like this AP will be firmly rooted in the geography and history of Golarion, but certain elements (such as new Mythos creatures, and travel to the Dreamlands) could be ported to a Freeport campaign. I would be especially be interested in seeing how well this AP's version of Carcosa meshes with the info in Cults of Freeport about the Unspeakable One's domain.

Alas, I don't have the free time or funds to acquire and run this AP. I simply have too many other long-term games in the pipeline to justify it.
Tim Emrick, Green Ronin Freebooter and Keeper of the Freeport Errata
Winds of Freeport: My Pathfinder Freeport campaign (2014-2016).
Time of the Tarrasque: My homebrew Pathfinder campaign (2017-).
Studded Plate: My blog about RPGs and LEGO.
Thastygliax's Vault: My other gaming pages.
timemrick
Hekatonkhieres

Postby Legendarius » Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:57 am

I will probably skip this AP but want to pick up Horror Adventures to see if it has some good content to add to a Freeport or Ravenloft game.
Legendarius
Orc

Postby rabindranath72 » Wed Sep 07, 2016 1:45 pm

I have been looking at this with some interest. I have put Freeport in the Dreamlands, together with Ustalav and the Lovecraftian PF scenarios. I have used the d20 Call of Cthulhu rules + D&D 3.0 rules; all characters are Experts.
rabindranath72
White Dragon

Postby timemrick » Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:48 pm

My FLGS had Parts 1 and 2 on their Pathfinder shelves when I was in there this week.

I made my Will save to not buy them, but the DC is going to keep going up as each new part is released...
timemrick
Hekatonkhieres

Postby Cthulhudrew » Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:16 pm

I have the first two issues (#3 isn't out yet, or at least I haven't received it). I haven't had time to give them much more than a cursory glance, but offhand, nothing in particular so far seems to me as if it wouldn't be fairly easily transposed from Golarion to Freeport. Again, that's just off the cuff and I'll read a bit more closely to see. I'm also not overly familiar with Freeport's treatment of the King in Yellow (I have the original Guide to Freeport and I think one or two modules, but nothing else).

The first volume takes place within an insane asylum, which is easily enough to place anywhere. The second, IIRC, is set in one of Golarion's towns, but again it could probably easily be moved to Freeport as is, or via some name switching.
Moderator of the Mystara and Greyhawk forums. My moderator voice is gray-green.
Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Postby timemrick » Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:39 pm

Cthulhudrew wrote:I have the first two issues (#3 isn't out yet, or at least I haven't received it). I haven't had time to give them much more than a cursory glance, but offhand, nothing in particular so far seems to me as if it wouldn't be fairly easily transposed from Golarion to Freeport. Again, that's just off the cuff and I'll read a bit more closely to see. I'm also not overly familiar with Freeport's treatment of the King in Yellow (I have the original Guide to Freeport and I think one or two modules, but nothing else).

In Freeport, the King in Yellow is the same as the Unspeakable One, but the more "regal" name is hardly ever used in the setting except in the Brotherhood of the Yellow Sign chapter of Cults of Freeport. Similarly, Carcosa is never named, but Cults alludes to it in a way that is pretty clear if you're familiar with the King in Yellow stories. I would highly recommend Cults of Freeport as a key resource for anyone who wishes to run Yellow Sign-related adventures in that setting, whether it's the Strange Aeons AP, the original Freeport Trilogy, or something else.
Cthulhudrew wrote:The first volume takes place within an insane asylum, which is easily enough to place anywhere. The second, IIRC, is set in one of Golarion's towns, but again it could probably easily be moved to Freeport as is, or via some name switching.

I haven't read any of the Strange Aeons adventures, but it seems like the Chambers Asylum would be the obvious location in Freeport for Part 1. The current administrator, Bianka Altanish, is sinister enough that just about anything could be going on inside its walls (one part of Dark Deeds in Freeport is set there, in fact).
timemrick
Hekatonkhieres

Postby The Dark » Wed Nov 02, 2016 2:37 am

I bought the first volume, and it was shaky enough (IMO) that I don't currently plan on buying the others. For all the set-up of the characters being amnesiacs, the adventure itself is a pretty straight-forward dungeon crawl, which disappointed me. I'll probably skim the second one the next time I'm at a LGS to see if it looks more worthwhile, but I tend to prefer more sandbox/loose network adventures over dungeon crawls.
The Dark
Troll

Postby genghisdon » Mon Nov 07, 2016 2:57 am

I do not have this AP, but the blurb info reveals

http://paizo.com/pathfinder/adventurePath/strangeAeons

that you visit Carcosa in the last adventure. It isn't like other versions per se, though, I'd wager, but their version.

It is indeed (mostly) based in Glorwhateverland, the PF setting, but it must be noted that many PF guys love lovecraftian elements & they pop up often in various places

I like the memory hook idea, although, other for ideas, it's not much use to me, as I don't play PF, and d20 on very rarely anymore. I still quite like stealing ideas from PF stuff for earlier D&D games though.

I haven't crossed it with Freeport, certainly, and haven't used Freeport per se in some time either, although I like it as a place/setting too.
genghisdon
Gnoll

Return to Freeport