Where does it fit into Setting X?

Classic fantasy, swashbuckling pirates, and Lovecraftian horror. Welcome to the City of Adventure! Hamunaptra, Naranjan and other World of Freeport subsettings can be discussed here.
dfryer36
White Dragon

Re: [Freeport] Where does it fit into Setting X?

Post by dfryer36 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:26 am

Havard wrote: Where would you place Freeport in your favorite setting?

Havard
In ths Scarred Lands there are three really good places for it. The first one, which is the one I would most likely use, is the southern coast near Liar's Sound. This area is currently undeveloped for the most part and so dropping a new city there would not disrupt things that much. It is also near the old Asaatthi Empire that existed prior to the Divine War, which fits with the Empire of the Serpents. It is also near the organized nations of the Ghelspad which fits with the story of Drac. The other good place in Ghelspad is on the Toe Islands off the east coast of Ghelspad. This is already a known pirate haven and would be a good place for Freeport. The last place is to replace the existing city of Bloodport in the Blood Bayou with Freeport. However this option is my least favorite because it substantively changes the flavor of the Bayou.
David Fryer
I am a cute and cuddly winged harbinger of DEATH!

Do you have what it takes to be a hero?

timemrick
Hekatonkhieres

Re: Where does it fit into Setting X?

Post by timemrick » Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:27 am

(Resurrecting an old thread in order to drop in my $0.02...)

Those of you who first knew me through the GR forums may recall that my first two Freeport campaigns (v.3.0 & v.3.5, respectively) used H.P. Lovecraft's Dreamlands, as described in the Call of Cthulhu supplement of that title. An overview of how I adapted that setting for D&D and Freeport can be found here.

The new v.3.5 campaign I'm starting up will use the world setting given in the Pirate's Guide instead. Because of the clean break from the Dreamlands, I've put together a new pantheon that starts with Yig, Harrimast, Krom, and the handful of other named gods of the Freeport canon, then fills in the "generic" gods with deities inspired by Classical, Norse, and other mythologies. (There's still a couple nods to my old Dreamlands campaigns: I kept Nodens and Lilith--who are from real-world mythology--and the god of thieves is somewhere between Snid and the PH's Olidammara.)

And of course, since the Freeport setting is largely inspired by the Cthulhu Mythos, at least a couple of the more "respectable" gods are really just guises of the Crawling Chaos and other unspeakable entities... :twisted:
Tim Emrick, Green Ronin Freebooter and Keeper of the Freeport Errata
Time of the Tarrasque: My homebrew Pathfinder campaign (2017-).
Studded Plate: My blog about RPGs and LEGO.
Thastygliax's Vault: My other gaming pages.

rabindranath72
White Dragon

Post by rabindranath72 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:05 pm

timemrick wrote:(Resurrecting an old thread in order to drop in my $0.02...)

Those of you who first knew me through the GR forums may recall that my first two Freeport campaigns (v.3.0 & v.3.5, respectively) used H.P. Lovecraft's Dreamlands, as described in the Call of Cthulhu supplement of that title. An overview of how I adapted that setting for D&D and Freeport can be found here.

The new v.3.5 campaign I'm starting up will use the world setting given in the Pirate's Guide instead. Because of the clean break from the Dreamlands, I've put together a new pantheon that starts with Yig, Harrimast, Krom, and the handful of other named gods of the Freeport canon, then fills in the "generic" gods with deities inspired by Classical, Norse, and other mythologies. (There's still a couple nods to my old Dreamlands campaigns: I kept Nodens and Lilith--who are from real-world mythology--and the god of thieves is somewhere between Snid and the PH's Olidammara.)

And of course, since the Freeport setting is largely inspired by the Cthulhu Mythos, at least a couple of the more "respectable" gods are really just guises of the Crawling Chaos and other unspeakable entities... :twisted:
Ah yes your idea of putting Freeport in the Dreamlands is excellent! I have been mining it to plan for a future campaign...not sure about using 3e and all of the demihuman races, though.
Instead I was thinking of running the campaign using d20 Call of Cthulhu with the "pulp option" and retain only humans as possible character race. I will define some fantasy profession templates, and add some pieces of equipment from the d20 srd, and perhaps some feat.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:26 am

rabindranath72 wrote:Ah yes your idea of putting Freeport in the Dreamlands is excellent! I have been mining it to plan for a future campaign...not sure about using 3e and all of the demihuman races, though.
Instead I was thinking of running the campaign using d20 Call of Cthulhu with the "pulp option" and retain only humans as possible character race. I will define some fantasy profession templates, and add some pieces of equipment from the d20 srd, and perhaps some feat.
I'd be interested in your reasons for only having humans. Is this to tie in better with Call of Cthulhu or because you think that Freeport works better as a human-only setting?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Return to “Freeport”