timemrick wrote:Whenever I do return to Freeport, I will very likely be trying it with another system--either Fantasy AGE (once the Freeport Companion for that system finally comes out) or D&D 5E. I greatly enjoy Pathfinder, but it's reeeeeaaally crunchy, and I'll probably want a change of pace from it whenever I need a break from "Time of the Tarrasque." Fantasy AGE or 5E would also require far fewer books to run a campaign, especially during play. (Naturally, I'll still need my complete Freeport collection for design and prep work!)
I've been looking at using Adventurer, Conqueror, King, an OSR game, for a few reasons.
1. I'm familiar with it (always a plus when deciding on a game system
2. It has rules for firearms, including cannon, in its Guns of War
3. It has clear divides by characters gaining a General proficiency at levels 1, 5, and 9 (and 13 for classes that have 13+ levels). This maps well on the apprentice/journeyman/master descriptions of the system-less books, so that an apprentice is level 1d4, journeyman is 1d4+4, and master is 1d6+8.
4. I can use any creature from B/X or BECMI pretty much as-is (the only things that require recalculating are AC and attack target number, because of descending vs. ascending AC), which gives me good flexibility for monster selection.
5. I can run it with two or three books (core rulebook, Player's Companion if I want more classes, Guns of War as needed for characters using firearms).
Unfortunately, I don't currently have a group to run it with, and while some naval rules have been discussed on the publisher's site, they're not fully fleshed out, so there'd be some handwaving and/or houseruling there.