Freeport System Companions

Classic fantasy, swashbuckling pirates, and Lovecraftian horror. Welcome to the City of Adventure! Hamunaptra, Naranjan and other World of Freeport subsettings can be discussed here.

Freeport System Companions

Postby Angel Tarragon » Sun Oct 16, 2011 3:51 pm

As a resource for those that are interested in using Freeport with their preferred system, I thought I'd make this handy list.

Castles & Crusades
D&D 3.5 / 3rd Era
D&D 4E
Mutants & Masterminds*
Pathfinder
Savage Worlds
True20

*Not really a companion per se, but product does include info on integrating Freeport with M&M
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Re: Freeport System Companions

Postby Havard » Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:24 pm

Very useful!
I still intend to get the Savage Worlds Companion. When I return to Freeport, I suspect it will be with that system. My main reason for taking a break from my old campaign was that the PCs were reaching levels where I felt the 3.5 system was becoming difficult to manage, at least for my casual gaming.

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby timemrick » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:55 pm

In case you haven't heard yet, the Fate Core Kickstarter has added a Fate Freeport Companion to its stretch goals. That was enough to push me off the fence and pledge.
Tim Emrick, Green Ronin Freebooter and Keeper of the Freeport Errata
Winds of Freeport: My Pathfinder Freeport campaign (2014-2016).
Time of the Tarrasque: My homebrew Pathfinder campaign (2017-).
Studded Plate: My blog about RPGs and LEGO.
Thastygliax's Vault: My other gaming pages.
timemrick
Hekatonkhieres

Postby BlackBat242 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:04 am

I don't remember if this has been asked before... are there plans for a 2E AD&D companion?

I play 1E, 2E, and (of course) mixed 1E/2E games, and only run 1E. I don't have anything D20 or 3xE, so those (and C&C) are terra incognito where I won't know the terms or how things work.
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.
"I have a catapult. Give me your money or I will hurl a large rock at your head".

"Buffy, Blade... its up to you now." George Takei

The only time a Vampire should sparkle is right before they explode
BlackBat242
Dire Haggis

Location: by the saline water - formerly in the Grand Valley of the Rivers

Postby Havard » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:39 pm

Blackbat, the Pirates Guide to Freeport is stat less and you don't really need the Companion Books (IMO) to make use of it with some of the older editions. An OSRIC companion would have been cool to see though. :)

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby BlackBat242 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:43 am

Thanks for that.

I understand, though, that the Companions have information, like classes, spells, & monsters that ARE edition-specific, and are NOT in the Guide, even in a non-system form?

Like the Caecilia timemrick mentioned in the other thread, which is different from the older-edition monster with the same name?
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.
"I have a catapult. Give me your money or I will hurl a large rock at your head".

BlackBat242
Dire Haggis

Postby timemrick » Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:18 pm

Unfortunately, I can't see a 1E/2E Freeport Companion ever being developed except as a purely fan project. It would be far too much of a niche product (within what's already a niche hobby, and a niche setting) to be the least bit profitable. Plus it would require a special license agreement from Wizards, because those editions predate the Open Gaming License.

The PIrate's Guide doesn't get into mechanics at all; the closest it comes is a parenthetical notation for NPCs giving only sex, race, and general power level ("apprentice," "journeyman," "master"; the d20 Companion equates these to levels 1-5/6-10/11+, which should work fine for older editions, too). There are references to monsters (both old and new), magic items, and maybe a few spells, but nothing system-specific.

The d20 and True Companions give a wide variety of new spells, magic items, and monsters, as well as stat blocks for common NPCs (sailors, thugs, merchants, watchmen, etc.) and prominent NPCs. Some of the new monsters in the d20 book appeared in older, 3.0 Freeport books (like the original Death/Terror/Madness in Freeport Trilogy) and have been updated for 3.5; others are brand new.

The only new monster that's really essential for a "canonical" Freeport game is serpent people, which were central to the Trilogy. Here are some "quick fix" suggestions for 1E/2E games:
* Use lizard man stats, but give the civilized holdouts a higher Int (12-13) and the doppelganger's ability to assume other humanoid forms.
* Just use doppelgangers, but make their natural form snake-like. (d20 serpent people lack this race's mind-reading power, however.)
* Use yuan-ti instead, but allow more noble-minded individuals, like K'Stallo, to be non-evil. (This is a dramatic boost in power level from the Trilogy, however, and clearly not suitable for low-level adventures!)
timemrick
Hekatonkhieres

Postby BlackBat242 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:48 pm

Thanks for the advice.

I would think that, with the re-release of 1E/2E AD&D on PDf that getting approval from WotC would not be hard... they would possible have to pay a small % of the price as royalties, but that shouldn't be much.

If you have looked at the D&D classics website, the D&D Basic (1981 edition) & 1E material PDFs are far outselling anything else.

That should give a better idea of the true market for an "early editions companion" than automatically assuming it would be a "niche" product.

BlackBat242
Dire Haggis

Postby Big Mac » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:14 pm

BlackBat242 wrote:Thanks for the advice.

I would think that, with the re-release of 1E/2E AD&D on PDf that getting approval from WotC would not be hard... they would possible have to pay a small % of the price as royalties, but that shouldn't be much.

The trouble with anything like that is that it creates a product where WotC can pull the plug. Kenzer and Co has a lot of books for the old HackMaster system that it is unable to reprint or sell in PDF form (including Hackjammer). The same applies to some of their "Dungeons & Dragons" range of Kingdoms of Kalamar products.

I'd say it would be better to have an OSRIC Companion to Freeport or a Dark Dungeons Companion to Freeport.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby timemrick » Sun Dec 28, 2014 11:44 pm

Here's the link for the Fate Freeport Companion, which has been out for a while now.

And the new Freeport: The City of Adventure, Pathfinder RPG Edition book is now available in PDF form (and is at the printers for the hard copy).
timemrick
Hekatonkhieres

Postby rabindranath72 » Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:58 am

The C&C companion is horrible. Badly converted, the author didn't really "get" the rules (can't really blame him since some things are really not explained well or at all in the C&C rules) and in general it uses 3e stuff without conversion which doesn't really work in C&C. Strongly NOT recommended.
rabindranath72
White Dragon

Return to Freeport