No Freeport in 2012?

Classic fantasy, swashbuckling pirates, and Lovecraftian horror. Welcome to the City of Adventure! Hamunaptra, Naranjan and other World of Freeport subsettings can be discussed here.
User avatar
Havard
Dragon Turtle
Posts: 21627
Joined: Thu May 22, 2008 7:32 pm
Gender: male
Location: Norway
Contact:

No Freeport in 2012?

Post by Havard »

I couldnt find any mention of Freeport in the 2012 announcement from GRR.
I dont know what deals they may have with 3rd party publishers though?

-Havard
Last edited by Giant Space Hamster on Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: URL fixed

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

User avatar
timemrick
Hekatonkhieres
Posts: 1712
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:33 am
Gender: male
Location: Emirate of Kobara
Contact:

Re: No Freeport in 2012?

Post by timemrick »

I believe that Dark Deeds in Freeport (by Open Design) is still in development.

I haven't heard of any other Freeport projects in the works, but I'm not privy to GR's strategic plans, either.
Tim Emrick, Green Ronin Freebooter and Keeper of the Freeport Errata
Time of the Tarrasque: My homebrew Pathfinder campaign (2017-).
Studded Plate: My blog about RPGs and LEGO.
Thastygliax's Vault: My other gaming pages.

User avatar
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster
Posts: 26596
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:52 pm
Gender: male
Location: London UK
Contact:

Re: No Freeport in 2012?

Post by Big Mac »

I think it is a shame, but it is better for them to deliver on other lines, and come back with a strong line of Freeport stuff in 2013 than to do something that isn't very good. But a few random freebies for the fan-community might be a nice way to keep people interested until next year.

What I think Freeport needs most is plenty of support for the older products, either via Print on Demand or via conversions to Pathfinder and other rules. So long as that sort of thing is there, the new players can come in and catch up with the existing players.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

User avatar
Princess Strega
Dawn Dragon
Posts: 9361
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2010 2:39 am
Gender: female

Re: No Freeport in 2012?

Post by Princess Strega »

Pramas on the subject of Freeport wrote:There's been a lot of Freeport talk around GRHQ lately. Basically, when we dribble support out, there are predictable results, so we're trying to figure out the best way to get Freeport going again with a big bang.

User avatar
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster
Posts: 26596
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:52 pm
Gender: male
Location: London UK
Contact:

Re: No Freeport in 2012?

Post by Big Mac »

Twin Agate Dragons wrote:
Pramas on the subject of Freeport wrote:There's been a lot of Freeport talk around GRHQ lately. Basically, when we dribble support out, there are predictable results, so we're trying to figure out the best way to get Freeport going again with a big bang.
I did read the other thread, TAD.

I can't imagine them being able to do something by the end of the year with the rest of that stuff to do.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

User avatar
Princess Strega
Dawn Dragon
Posts: 9361
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2010 2:39 am
Gender: female

Re: No Freeport in 2012?

Post by Princess Strega »

Big Mac wrote:
Twin Agate Dragons wrote:
Pramas on the subject of Freeport wrote:There's been a lot of Freeport talk around GRHQ lately. Basically, when we dribble support out, there are predictable results, so we're trying to figure out the best way to get Freeport going again with a big bang.
I did read the other thread, TAD.

I can't imagine them being able to do something by the end of the year with the rest of that stuff to do.
Wasn't sure.

Yeah, it really be cool to see more Green Ronin Freeport support this year. I imagine they're going to have some sort of announcement regarding it at GenCon (if they decide to move forward with the property).

User avatar
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster
Posts: 26596
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:52 pm
Gender: male
Location: London UK
Contact:

Re: No Freeport in 2012?

Post by Big Mac »

Twin Agate Dragons wrote:Yeah, it really be cool to see more Green Ronin Freeport support this year. I imagine they're going to have some sort of announcement regarding it at GenCon (if they decide to move forward with the property).
I think they would be insane not to do something (if only more Print on Demand support for out of print stuff) for Freeport. As they own it, it is essentially free to use, while non-in-house things like Song of Fire and Ice must come with licence fees that drain a slice of the profits away. In a world where the economy is being squeezed lower cost settings are probably going to be easier to sell to the punters for a lower price (or a higher percentage profit). :?

Mind you, I'm not sure what the "Sean Bean effect" of Game of Thrones is going to have on random searches for games relating to that show. Maybe riding that wave and coming back to Freeport as it goes down is the best long term strategy.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

User avatar
Princess Strega
Dawn Dragon
Posts: 9361
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2010 2:39 am
Gender: female

Re: No Freeport in 2012?

Post by Princess Strega »

Big Mac wrote:Mind you, I'm not sure what the "Sean Bean effect" of Game of Thrones is going to have on random searches for games relating to that show. Maybe riding that wave and coming back to Freeport as it goes down is the best long term strategy.
:idea: Hmm....A Song of of Ice & Fire Guide to Freeport? Yes, please.

Joe Kelly
Goblin
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:15 pm
Gender: male

Re: No Freeport in 2012?

Post by Joe Kelly »

I would really like to see them do an Adventure Path with Freeport, but not sure if that'll happen. Looking forward to Dark Deeds in Freeport. It's supposed to be out Summer of 2012. But then again, who's to know.

Joe Kelly

User avatar
Havard
Dragon Turtle
Posts: 21627
Joined: Thu May 22, 2008 7:32 pm
Gender: male
Location: Norway
Contact:

Re: No Freeport in 2012?

Post by Havard »

Joe Kelly wrote:I would really like to see them do an Adventure Path with Freeport, but not sure if that'll happen. Looking forward to Dark Deeds in Freeport. It's supposed to be out Summer of 2012. But then again, who's to know.
Perhaps this latest Paizo AP could be used with Freeport?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Joe Kelly
Goblin
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:15 pm
Gender: male

Re: No Freeport in 2012?

Post by Joe Kelly »

I think that would be awesome, the only drawback I could see is Green Ronin likes Freeport to be generic, and they may have to acquiesce to putting it into The Pathfinder world? Although, I have no problems at all with that. Plus the AP is coming out with a Pirate themed AP anyways for the next 6 months. :)

Joe Kelly

Nate Christen
Hill Giant
Posts: 458
Joined: Mon May 26, 2008 1:39 am

Re: No Freeport in 2012?

Post by Nate Christen »

Havard wrote:Perhaps this latest Paizo AP could be used with Freeport?
That very question is causing me a dilemma right now. I've run all of my Freeport campaigns in Greyhawk, and I'm not too eager to do the conversion work, but it would make such a good setting for that adventure path.

-Nate
Author of d20pirates.blogspot.com and talesfromtheedgeoftheempire.blogspot.com

User avatar
Havard
Dragon Turtle
Posts: 21627
Joined: Thu May 22, 2008 7:32 pm
Gender: male
Location: Norway
Contact:

Re: No Freeport in 2012?

Post by Havard »

Nate Christen wrote:
Havard wrote:Perhaps this latest Paizo AP could be used with Freeport?
That very question is causing me a dilemma right now. I've run all of my Freeport campaigns in Greyhawk, and I'm not too eager to do the conversion work, but it would make such a good setting for that adventure path.
Given that Pathfinder's Golarion was created by hard core Greyhawk fans, perhaps this AP (Skulls & Shackles) would not be too difficult to adapt? I am looking to adapt it to Mystara myself... :ugeek:

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

User avatar
SotF
Orc
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:07 pm
Gender: male

Re: No Freeport in 2012?

Post by SotF »

One other thing could be that they're working on stuff for the new D&D edition

User avatar
Havard
Dragon Turtle
Posts: 21627
Joined: Thu May 22, 2008 7:32 pm
Gender: male
Location: Norway
Contact:

Re: No Freeport in 2012?

Post by Havard »

SotF wrote:One other thing could be that they're working on stuff for the new D&D edition
Freeport for 5E? :o

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Joe Kelly
Goblin
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:15 pm
Gender: male

Re: No Freeport in 2012?

Post by Joe Kelly »

A likely possibility. Personally, no offense, WOTC, but I find Wizards is more focused on adding new rules, rather than adding new worlds or new adventures. The rules shouldn't be updated unless they are really skewed. With the previous TSR it was about expanding campaign worlds, not coming with new rules every year.

User avatar
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster
Posts: 26596
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:52 pm
Gender: male
Location: London UK
Contact:

Re: No Freeport in 2012?

Post by Big Mac »

Getting the 3rd Party Support in for 5e would probably be helpful for the rules (especially in the vital few months).

I would hope, however, that a theoretical 5e D&D Guide to Freeport was more than just a rehash of the 3e stuff and that it could actually add new things to the setting.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

User avatar
SotF
Orc
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:07 pm
Gender: male

Re: No Freeport in 2012?

Post by SotF »

Big Mac wrote:Getting the 3rd Party Support in for 5e would probably be helpful for the rules (especially in the vital few months).

I would hope, however, that a theoretical 5e D&D Guide to Freeport was more than just a rehash of the 3e stuff and that it could actually add new things to the setting.
What I would do is have the setting book and either a new set of adventures or a once again revised version of the trilogy for the new system. Then borrow an idea from Paizo and have a boxed set of standees or tokens that cover the npcs, some random mooks, generic citizens, and some options for player characters.

Honestly, another thing that would be great is to essentially copy what WotC did when they first released the Star Wars OCR with the Invasion of Theed boxed set. Though make it still require the basic new rules and pack the adventure, the tokens, a nice grid map and a few other goodies with a toned down freeport guide meant as an introduction for DMs and players alike. Hell, add in a set of dice with a bag (Perhaps complete with the freeport logo and the skull and crossed bones).

A cloth map of freeport would be a nice goodie to include.

The setup would probably get both current fans, and the added necessities would draw in new players and pirate fans if done right.

User avatar
Havard
Dragon Turtle
Posts: 21627
Joined: Thu May 22, 2008 7:32 pm
Gender: male
Location: Norway
Contact:

Re: No Freeport in 2012?

Post by Havard »

SotF wrote:A cloth map of freeport would be a nice goodie to include.
Me wants! :ugeek:

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

User avatar
SotF
Orc
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:07 pm
Gender: male

Re: No Freeport in 2012?

Post by SotF »

Havard wrote:
SotF wrote:A cloth map of freeport would be a nice goodie to include.
Me wants! :ugeek:

-Havard
I've actually been considering getting the pdf map printed on canvas.

User avatar
timemrick
Hekatonkhieres
Posts: 1712
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:33 am
Gender: male
Location: Emirate of Kobara
Contact:

Re: No Freeport in 2012?

Post by timemrick »

Green Ronin had many good, solid reasons for not getting involved in 4E, but they did grant a license to Expeditious Retreat Press to produce a 4E Freeport Companion. That book had essentially the same content as GR's True20 and d20 Freeport Companions, just adapted to a different system.

I would hazard a guess that any 5E support for Freeport would be through a third party, too. But that's as far as I'm willing to speculate while D&D Next still needs so much more time to develop.
Tim Emrick, Green Ronin Freebooter and Keeper of the Freeport Errata
Time of the Tarrasque: My homebrew Pathfinder campaign (2017-).
Studded Plate: My blog about RPGs and LEGO.
Thastygliax's Vault: My other gaming pages.

User avatar
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster
Posts: 26596
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:52 pm
Gender: male
Location: London UK
Contact:

Re: No Freeport in 2012?

Post by Big Mac »

timemrick wrote:Green Ronin had many good, solid reasons for not getting involved in 4E, but they did grant a license to Expeditious Retreat Press to produce a 4E Freeport Companion. That book had essentially the same content as GR's True20 and d20 Freeport Companions, just adapted to a different system.

I would hazard a guess that any 5E support for Freeport would be through a third party, too. But that's as far as I'm willing to speculate while D&D Next still needs so much more time to develop.
I suppose it partly depends on WotC's attitude to 3rd Party Publishers.

If they go back to having a 5e SRD released under the same OGL that 3e used, I think that Green Ronin might be more willing to support it directly.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

User avatar
Princess Strega
Dawn Dragon
Posts: 9361
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2010 2:39 am
Gender: female

Re: No Freeport in 2012?

Post by Princess Strega »

Here's hoping that Green Ronin will make an announcement regarding Freeport within the next four days!

Nate Christen
Hill Giant
Posts: 458
Joined: Mon May 26, 2008 1:39 am

Re: No Freeport in 2012?

Post by Nate Christen »

I'm headed to Indianapolis tomorrow, and I'll post anything that I learn.

-Nate
Author of d20pirates.blogspot.com and talesfromtheedgeoftheempire.blogspot.com

User avatar
Havard
Dragon Turtle
Posts: 21627
Joined: Thu May 22, 2008 7:32 pm
Gender: male
Location: Norway
Contact:

Re: No Freeport in 2012?

Post by Havard »

Nate Christen wrote:I'm headed to Indianapolis tomorrow, and I'll post anything that I learn.

-Nate
Cool! Please keep us updated :)

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Post Reply

Return to “Freeport”