[Freeport] Has anyone played Freeport?

Classic fantasy, swashbuckling pirates, and Lovecraftian horror. Welcome to the City of Adventure! Hamunaptra, Naranjan and other World of Freeport subsettings can be discussed here.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

[Freeport] Has anyone played Freeport?

Post by Big Mac »

Has anyone here played with Freeport from Green Ronin?

What do you think of it? Is it any good?

How about the "systemless thing"? Does that work? Has anyone used Freeport with more than one set of rules?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Re: [Freeport] Has anyone played Freeport?

Post by night_druid »

I've heard nothing but good things about Freeport, but no personal experiences with it.
Moderator: Spelljammer, Kingdoms of Kalamar. My moderator voice is green

Plaag
Troll

Post by Plaag »

I've read the adventures and some of the recent pirates guide and find it to be a pretty good setting. Though I've not yet played or DMed the setting.

ShaneG.
I reject your reality and substitute my own

Philosopher
Cloud Giant

Post by Philosopher »

I've not (yet) played Freeport. However, I've read through about half of The Pirate's Guide to Freeport, and it's excellent. A well fleshed out city with lots of interesting adventure hooks.

I like the idea of a "systemless" setting, but I'm also a little cautious about it. I think it's great that you can buy a book for it without having to spend money on pages of material you may not use. On the other hand, if the setting was designed with one system in mind, another system may not quite capture the same flavor. I suppose it may be fine, though, if you're willing to modify some details (but I don't think a spellplague is needed to use 4e with it).

Incidentally, I recently heard that they've come up with a Castles & Crusades guide for Freeport.
- Selman

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard »

I love Freeport. I have ran a fairly long 3.5 campaign in it where we played through the Freeport Trilogy and Hell in Freeport as well as alot of random exploration of the city. My players particularly enjoyed just hanging out in the city, getting to know NPCs, getting into bar brawls etc.

I own all of the GR Freeport books as well as the (systemless) Pirate's Guide. I am also planning to pick up the Savage Worlds pdf, but just havent gotten around to it yet. I think it is a fantastic place to run adventures in with lots of adventure hooks.

Playing with different systems will by its very nature result in giving the city a different feel for each system, but Freeport, although designed for 3.5 should be fairly easy to adapt and modify to the needs of the inividual group, so I don't think that should be terribly problematic.

Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac »

Thanks for the answers so far.

How does Freeport fit in with other RPG stuff?

Does it work well as a sourcebook that can be tacked onto another game world (or are there gods or cosmology details to deal with)?

Does it work well as a campaign setting in its own right? Are there other Green Ronin products that can be bolted onto Freeport to make a larger world?

Is it any good for the multi-campaign setting fans (including the Spelljammer and Planescape fans) to use as a place to visit on the grand tour of the universe?
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard »

Big Mac wrote:Thanks for the answers so far.

How does Freeport fit in with other RPG stuff?

Does it work well as a sourcebook that can be tacked onto another game world (or are there gods or cosmology details to deal with)?
Freeport was designed with this in mind. Cosmology and references to the outside world are normally kept vague. Most Gods are only referred to with generic names like "the God of War, the God of the Sea, the God of Knowledge and the God of Pirates". I found it particularly easy to be used with Mystara, but I think it would easily be used with any of the standard D&D settings. More exotic settings like Dark Sun would require some more modifications.
Does it work well as a campaign setting in its own right? Are there other Green Ronin products that can be bolted onto Freeport to make a larger world?
The Pirates Guide to Freeport has a small section detailing "the Continent", offering a larger world to Freeport.
Is it any good for the multi-campaign setting fans (including the Spelljammer and Planescape fans) to use as a place to visit on the grand tour of the universe?
For a Spelljammer campaign, I think it might be interesting to turn the Serpent's Teeth Archipelago (where Freeport is found) into an asteroid cluster and turn it into a real Space Pirate City. For Planescape well, Freeport does have some planar connections as well...

Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac »

Havard wrote:
Big Mac wrote:How does Freeport fit in with other RPG stuff?

Freeport was designed with this in mind. Cosmology and references to the outside world are normally kept vague. Most Gods are only referred to with generic names like "the God of War, the God of the Sea, the God of Knowledge and the God of Pirates". I found it particularly easy to be used with Mystara, but I think it would easily be used with any of the standard D&D settings. More exotic settings like Dark Sun would require some more modifications.
Thanks for that. It isn't my play-style, but I think most people want to use things this way.

Personally, I'd be looking for a "Gods of Freeport" web enhancement.
Havard wrote:
Big Mac wrote:Does it work well as a campaign setting in its own right? Are there other Green Ronin products that can be bolted onto Freeport to make a larger world?
The Pirates Guide to Freeport has a small section detailing "the Continent", offering a larger world to Freeport.
Hopefully "The Continent" will get expanded in the future.
Havard wrote:
Big Mac wrote:Is it any good for the multi-campaign setting fans (including the Spelljammer and Planescape fans) to use as a place to visit on the grand tour of the universe?
For a Spelljammer campaign, I think it might be interesting to turn the Serpent's Teeth Archipelago (where Freeport is found) into an asteroid cluster and turn it into a real Space Pirate City. For Planescape well, Freeport does have some planar connections as well...
I think I would want to keep Freeport on a planet (even if it was a small planet). I think that asteroid cities are overated and would like to see more spelljammer aware cultures on moons and planets. Now if Freeport's planet was a groundling world, but Freeport itself was SJ-aware, it could help give their pirates an unfair advantage over the Continent.

I suppose that the "planare connnections" you mention are vague. The SRD doesn't contain the names of the Great Wheel outer planes, so it is not legal to use them in OGL products (without a special agreement from WotC).

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard »

*Bump!*
Big Mac wrote:Personally, I'd be looking for a "Gods of Freeport" web enhancement.
As mentioned above, most of the gods mentioned are generic. The main exceptions are the Unspeakable One aka the God of the Yellow Sign, and Yig. Both are from what I understand lifted directly from the Cthulhu Mythos. I considered using D20 Call of Cthulhu as a supplement for my old Freeport Campaign.
Hopefully "The Continent" will get expanded in the future.
The 4E Companion for Freeport is the last product so far. I havent seen any plans for any new products for now, but since Freeport is where GRR started, I could easily see them return to it at some point in the future. I think there was some discussion elsewhere about using other GRR products like Mindshadows to expand on the setting?

A Song of Ice and Fire and Dragon Age seem to be enough to keep GRR busy at the moment, but I hope to see more Freeport material in the future.
I suppose that the "planare connnections" you mention are vague. The SRD doesn't contain the names of the Great Wheel outer planes, so it is not legal to use them in OGL products (without a special agreement from WotC).
The connections I mention are references to the Cthulhu Mythos universe.

Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac »

I've not got it, but do you think that Cults of Freeport would give you gods?

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard »

Big Mac wrote:I've not got it, but do you think that Cults of Freeport would give you gods?
Good point. I will check it when I get home, but from what I remember most cults focus on the gods already mentioned above. There could be some others that snuck in there though.

Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Bonetti
Fire Giant

Post by Bonetti »

I can't speak to running the materials at all. However, my current group was in the middle of (well, toward the end of) a campaign built around Freeport. It had been dropped into a campaign world the DM had borrowed from a friend, a world of mostly seas and a few islands. I guess they ran the standard introductory adventure, and the DM made up some material to bridge to Hell in Freeport (since I believe when they ran out of material the middle adventure hadn't been published yet, or something).

Lacking the grounding in the area, I found what I did see of the city to be interesting, but much of the module felt a little off. Maybe it reads better than it played with my group -- but the players mostly didn't question and just kept barreling ahead toward whatever looked like it could fight back. (The door by the aboleths was a bit of a challenge, given how neutral-leaning the party is...)

However, what I saw of Freeport has (heavily) influenced my view of what Port Tenobar is like in my Darokin game. I doubt I'll do a direct import, but it looks like the material can be dropped into many games pretty easily.
Darokin expansion (maps, notes, merchant houses)
NaNoWriMo: Winner 2013-2017; Camp NaNoWriMo: 2014-2018

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard »

Big Mac wrote:I've not got it, but do you think that Cults of Freeport would give you gods?

Brilliant David,
Cults of Freeport does indeed have more deities for us:

Yarrash - the Bloody One, the Great Mutineer
The Crawling Chaos
Abaddon the Destroyer (The Lord of Locusts)
Lowyatar - Mistress of Pain
The Charnel God (The Serpent God)
The Wanderer

Also, in Hell in Freeport, there's Jalie Squarefoot - the Lich Fiend.

Furthermore, GRR's Legions of Hell has a long list of devils. It is not officially a Freeport product, but does have some Freeport references, chiefly the appearance of Jalie Squarefoot.

Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard »

Bonetti wrote:I can't speak to running the materials at all. However, my current group was in the middle of (well, toward the end of) a campaign built around Freeport. It had been dropped into a campaign world the DM had borrowed from a friend, a world of mostly seas and a few islands.
Sounds like a perfect setting to incorporate Freeport into! :)

I guess they ran the standard introductory adventure, and the DM made up some material to bridge to Hell in Freeport (since I believe when they ran out of material the middle adventure hadn't been published yet, or something).
Freeport was introduced in a trilogy of adventures, Death in Freeport being the first one. It is recommended to throw in an adventure or two in between the Trilogy adventures so that should work. Hell in Freeport is fairly high level though, so he might have had to tweak some things. There are some suggestions on how to connect Hell in Freeport to the other adventures so it shouldn't be too hard to incorporate storywise.
Lacking the grounding in the area, I found what I did see of the city to be interesting, but much of the module felt a little off. Maybe it reads better than it played with my group -- but the players mostly didn't question and just kept barreling ahead toward whatever looked like it could fight back. (The door by the aboleths was a bit of a challenge, given how neutral-leaning the party is...)
This is in Hell in Freeport? I don't think a neutrally aligned party should be a problem for these adventures. For a good party, they will help the NPCs out of kindness. For a neutral or evil one, the NPCs will just offer to pay more money. Ofcourse, betrayal is very in character in a pirate game! :twisted:
However, what I saw of Freeport has (heavily) influenced my view of what Port Tenobar is like in my Darokin game. I doubt I'll do a direct import, but it looks like the material can be dropped into many games pretty easily.
Good point about importing elements rather than the setting as a whole. It can probably be used over and over again in such a manner too! :)

Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Bonetti
Fire Giant

Post by Bonetti »

Havard wrote:
Bonetti wrote: Lacking the grounding in the area, I found what I did see of the city to be interesting, but much of the module felt a little off. Maybe it reads better than it played with my group -- but the players mostly didn't question and just kept barreling ahead toward whatever looked like it could fight back. (The door by the aboleths was a bit of a challenge, given how neutral-leaning the party is...)
This is in Hell in Freeport? I don't think a neutrally aligned party should be a problem for these adventures. For a good party, they will help the NPCs out of kindness. For a neutral or evil one, the NPCs will just offer to pay more money. Ofcourse, betrayal is very in character in a pirate game! :twisted:
The door in question leads to the main adventure and causes harm if you're far enough away from LG, if memory serves. We ended up having trouble with it, but there were just enough NGs in the party to do it. (I think I mis-spoke earlier -- the party has a generally chaotic tilt, and about 2/3 of the party is on the CG/CN axis.)
Darokin expansion (maps, notes, merchant houses)
NaNoWriMo: Winner 2013-2017; Camp NaNoWriMo: 2014-2018

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard »

Found another God!

Kromm, originally from the GRR Game Ork! appears in Black Sails, possibly in other Freeport books as well. :)

Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Chimpman
Hadozee

Post by Chimpman »

Havard wrote:Found another God!

Kromm, originally from the GRR Game Ork! appears in Black Sails, possibly in other Freeport books as well. :)

Havard
Is this the same Kromm (or similar) to the one that Conan swears by?
Visit the Exiles Campaign Setting (a Mystara / Spelljammer crossover)
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Moderator of The Tabard Inn and Blackmoor. My moderator voice is purple.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard »

Chimpman wrote:Is this the same Kromm (or similar) to the one that Conan swears by?
Crom and Kromm, well I suppose the similarities aren't a coincidence at least...

Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

BPIJonathan
Dinosaur King

Post by BPIJonathan »

I have been using it as a Spanish Mediterranean Port for my Sherwood Campaign. Crusader knights have been using it as a launch point to the Holy Land. It has worked out really well, nice to have a large city fleshed out without having to worry about those people in the group that are nit-picky.
Jonathan M. Thompson
Battlefield Press International | thompsonjm (at) gmail (dot) com |"Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere." - Carl Sagan

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard »

BPIJonathan wrote:I have been using it as a Spanish Mediterranean Port for my Sherwood Campaign. Crusader knights have been using it as a launch point to the Holy Land. It has worked out really well, nice to have a large city fleshed out without having to worry about those people in the group that are nit-picky.
Wow, that is a great idea! I have always pictured Freeport as a kind of 17th Century setting, but I can see no difficulty using it in an earlier era as well. Your campaign sounds very interesting. Do demihumans, spellcasters, serpent people and the like exist in your Freeport?

Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

BPIJonathan
Dinosaur King

Post by BPIJonathan »

Havard wrote:Wow, that is a great idea! I have always pictured Freeport as a kind of 17th Century setting, but I can see no difficulty using it in an earlier era as well. Your campaign sounds very interesting. Do demihumans, spellcasters, serpent people and the like exist in your Freeport?

Havard

Thanks Havard,

No, there are no demihumans in my campaign, but I am running a semi-mythic campaign, so spellcasters do exist....though the party doesnt have one. The location of Freeport allows it to have spells from Africa, the Middle East, and Europe in places all over the city, so if we had a party spellcaster he or she would be extremely happy with the influx of information. Right now the party is heading to the Holy Land to on the trail of a group calling themselves the "Roundtable," they have already failed to capture Castle Caerleon and gain the prize there. Now the group and the party have found a suspected location of the sword Excalibur, and they are all after it.
Jonathan M. Thompson
Battlefield Press International | thompsonjm (at) gmail (dot) com |"Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere." - Carl Sagan

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac »

Havard wrote:

Brilliant David,
Cults of Freeport does indeed have more deities for us:
Thanks for doing the research for me! :P ;)

Kodyax
Troll

Post by Kodyax »

As others have said, Frreport was designed from the get go as a fairly generic place so that GMs could drop it into their own campaign world as seamlessly as possible. The systemless books provide a wealth of information. The books are worth reading as entertainment. Or at least I was entertained. Heck, I have a series of short stores that started as being loosely based on Freeport.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard »

Kodyax wrote:The books are worth reading as entertainment. Or at least I was entertained.
Agreed! I have alot of gaming material, but with the Freeport material, I read it alot more in detail simply because it was so entertaining :)
Heck, I have a series of short stores that started as being loosely based on Freeport.
Are these posted anywhere? Will you make them available here? :)

Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Kodyax
Troll

Post by Kodyax »

I have them posted on two furry sites for writing and if there is place for adult fantasy stories loosely based on RPG series I'll make an account and post there as well. But here is the one: http://fenryx.sofurry.com/

I have 10 stories in the series so far:

Fresh Meat

Pouncing Pussy

Carnival of Sorrows

Scurvy

Happy Horror Days

Transformation

First Strike

Scavenger Hunt

Library of Lost Lore

Sunken City

I listed them in order that I wrote them. I must warn you: they are raunchy.

Return to “Freeport”