The Book of The Thousand Nights and a Night

Arabian Adventures in Zakhara, the Land of Fate.
The Book-House: Find Al-Qadim products.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

The Book of The Thousand Nights and a Night

Post by Big Mac » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:36 pm

Someone, called Ardano Silverbow, posted a link to a copy of The Book of The Thousand Nights and a Night in a thread about Al-Qadim at Dragonsfoot.

I thought it might be useful to some GMs planning to run Al-Qadim games, so thought I'd start a thread about the book over here.

People could either point players at the book, or maybe we could do the "Lets Read..." thing and go through the stories, one-by-one, to see if elements from them could be converted into Al-Qadim material.

EDIT: Another poster in the same thread, called Nero Grimes, pointed at a portal for The Book of A Thousand Nights and a Night at Wallamshram World, that has several other versions of the book(s). Nero also posted a link to a collection on a page called The Arabian Nights at Candlelight Stories and Harvard Classics, Vol. 16 - Stories from the Thousand and One Nights. Nero thinks these are better versions than the one that Arano posted a link to.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Re: The Book of The Thousand Nights and a Night

Post by Cthulhudrew » Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:25 am

From what I know, Burton's translation is one of- if not the- most comprehensive ever done.

It was also considered pretty racy, although I've never read it, so can't say if that was just by the standards of the times he lived in or if it would still be so by today's standards. So I can't say whether it would/should warrant an NSFW or not.

(Been meaning to check it out ever since I finished reading "A Rage To Live" the Richard Francis Burton biography recently.)
Moderator of the Mystara and Greyhawk forums. My moderator voice is gray-green.

Return to “Al-Qadim”