Recommendations for Arabesque Fantasy Novels

Arabian Adventures in Zakhara, the Land of Fate.
The Book-House: Find Al-Qadim products.
Nate Christen
Hill Giant

Recommendations for Arabesque Fantasy Novels

Post by Nate Christen »

Fellows,

Does anyone have recommendations for novels that capture the spirit of Al-Qadim? I've been in the mood recently, and am rereading some books that I've had for a while, but I'm always interested in finding new stuff. So far I've read/am reading:

-The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings, for obvious reasons.

-The 1001 Nights, for same.

-The Rose of the Prophet series from Weis and Hickman. I especially like the way the immortals are used in this series.

-The Desert of Souls and The Bones of the Old Ones, novels set during the time of Haroun al-Rashid, just like the 1001 Nights.

Does anyone have other recommendations?

-Nate
Author of d20pirates.blogspot.com and talesfromtheedgeoftheempire.blogspot.com

Allen Varney
Bugbear

Re: Recommendations for Arabesque Fantasy Novels

Post by Allen Varney »

The standard recommendation for Arabian fantasy nowadays is Throne of the Crescent Moon by Saladin Ahmed.

Black Gate has a useful discussion of Arabian fantasy, especially in the comments.

Jorkens
Stone Giant

Post by Jorkens »

I would say that you should add some short stories by Clark Ashton Smith and Howard; the influences of Zakhara are more the pulp versions of the middle east than the real thing. Even more "modern" pulps of the 30's contain a lot of inspiration with hidden cults, lost city's and grave robbers. You should also watch some of the older Sword and Sandal movies.

BlackBat242
Dire Haggis
Location: by the saline water - formerly in the Grand Valley of the Rivers

Post by BlackBat242 »

El Borak and Other Desert Adventures
by Robert E. Howard (Del Rey 2010)
http://www.amazon.com/El-Borak-Other-De ... 034550545X
Robert E. Howard is famous for creating such immortal heroes as Conan the Cimmerian, Solomon Kane, and Bran Mak Morn. Less well-known but equally extraordinary are his non-fantasy adventure stories set in the Middle East and featuring such two-fisted heroes as Francis Xavier Gordon—known as “El Borak”
While set in the 1910s-20s they have some hints of supernatural events (and at least once more than a hint). There is plenty of setting, background, and plot material to be garnered, as well as some stories which could be turned directly into modules with just a little tweaking for more magic content.
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.
"I have a catapult. Give me your money or I will hurl a large rock at your head".

"Buffy, Blade... its up to you now." George Takei

The only time a Vampire should sparkle is right before they explode

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac »

I've been talking about a TSR Arabian novel called Red Sands in another thread in this forum. I don't have a copy yet, but it seems like it might be worth buying.
Allen Varney wrote:The standard recommendation for Arabian fantasy nowadays is Throne of the Crescent Moon by Saladin Ahmed.
This does seem like an interesting world. And if you want to raid ideas for your Al-Qadim campaign, you should look at the Crescent Moon Kingdoms mini-guide.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

lesh
Gnoll

Post by lesh »

Clark Ashton Smith Zothique (for Sahu)

Tower of Fear by Glen Cook
Iron Dawn by Matt Stover
Arabian Nightmare by Robert Irwin
Dune perhaps

Return to “Al-Qadim”