Cities of the Heart

Arabian Adventures in Zakhara, the Land of Fate.
The Book-House: Find Al-Qadim products.

Cities of the Heart

Postby Big Mac » Mon May 19, 2014 1:21 am

I've just got the Land of Fate boxed set and I'm trying to work out how the regions of Zakhara work.

I thought I would start off with the Cities of the Heart (as it is the first region in Adventurers Guide to Zakhara (in Chapter 6). (I also think that Huzuz - the City of Delights - is supposed to be a major location, so it makes sense to try to understand how it's region works.) I might start up similar threads to discuss other regions, at some point.

I see four cities mentioned in Chapter 6:
  • Halwa, City of Slitude,
  • Hiyal, City of Intrigue,
  • Huzuz, City of Delights and
  • Wasat, the Middle City

It looks like Huzuz is the most important of the four cities, as it is home of the Grand Caliph. I'm wondering if these four cities constitute a single "political" entity ruled by the Grand Caliph or if Cities of the Heart is part of a bigger political region or not actually a region at all*.

* = Maybe just a convenient name for four nearby cities that otherwise have no special association.

Skimming through the rest of the book and Fortunes and Fates I do not see anything about the other places in the region those four cities are in. I see a number of places on the map, but do not notice any sort of "political border" to separate Cities of the Heart from any other region.

I see the following eight towns:
  • Aib (south of Hiyal)
  • Hayyir (North of Wasat)
  • Magrib (west of Huzuz on the west side of Suq Bay)
  • Saraq (west of Huzuz)
  • Taham (north of Hiyal)
  • Zarif (between Huzuz and Halwa)
  • Zayir (between Huzuz and Hilm, City of Kindness)
  • Zill (East of Wasat)

Aside from Zayir, which seems like it could be "owned" by Hilm, all of these towns look like they might be "owned" by the Cities of the Heart. Is this the case or are some or all of them independent? Are some or all of these towns fleshed out in other products?

Things get more confusing after this. I see six occupied Qal'at (does the plural have an "s" on the end) on the eastern side of Suq Bay, four occupied Qal'at and three unoccupied Qal'at on the west side and one unoccupied Qal'at to the north.

Does any other product (or something I missed in Land of Fate give a name for these forts? Or is this something that GMs are expected to make up for themselves? (And if you need to make it up, is there a preferred naming pattern for a fort name?)

I also see four sorcerer's towers to the east of Suq Bay and one to the north. Again there are no names, but I'm guessing that a sorcerer's tower would either belong to a specific sorcerer or maybe an individual organisation. Is there anywhere where that is explained? Are there any NPC sorcerers written down anywhere or does a GM need to make them all up? What sort of servants and staff, if any, would these towers have?

I see four haram (again, do I add an "s" to pluralise this?) to the east of Suq Bay. I see no names or religions mentioned. Is there anything written down that can help me work out what is what? Or do I need to look at the most common faiths in the descriptions of those specific cities to see if I can guess which religions are ones that might have a haram?

The wells, artisian wells around that half of the map also are unnamed, but Hamid Oasis has a name. Wouldn't a well be named after someone (maybe the person who dug it) or be named after the general area they are in?

The ruins to the west of Wasat and the runins to the north-east of the Ghost Mountains have no names. Is either of those places revealed in an adventure?

And if any of the places is not developed in the Al-Qadim canon, is there any fan material for any of them?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: Cities of the Heart

Postby ripvanwormer » Mon May 19, 2014 1:41 am

Merriam-Webster, Oxford Dictionaries, and Wikipedia all use the plural "harems" for harem. Wikipedia uses "qalats" as the plural for qalat.
ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Postby 2097 » Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:15 pm

"harem" in Al-Qadim is "harim".
Big Mac talk about "haram", which means sinful or taboo in Arabic but is al-Qadim's name for holy places.
Hobgoblin

Postby Big Mac » Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:14 pm

2097 wrote:"harem" in Al-Qadim is "harim".
Big Mac talk about "haram", which means sinful or taboo in Arabic but is al-Qadim's name for holy places.

Looks like I mixed up my words then. Thanks.
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby 2097 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 6:48 pm

Big Mac, you used the words in the same way Al-Qadim does. I was clarifying to RVW that you were talking about holy sites, not lover's quarters.

Place where all your spouses live: "harim", "harem".
Holy site in Al-Qadim: "haram" (that's exactly what you wrote, Big Mac, so no worries)
The word "sinful" in Arabic: also "haram". That's unfortunate and something I hope they change if they put out a new edition of Al-Qadim.
Hobgoblin

Postby Big Mac » Fri Jul 15, 2016 1:17 pm

2097 wrote:Big Mac, you used the words in the same way Al-Qadim does. I was clarifying to RVW that you were talking about holy sites, not lover's quarters.

Holy site in Al-Qadim: "haram" (that's exactly what you wrote, Big Mac, so no worries)
The word "sinful" in Arabic: also "haram". That's unfortunate and something I hope they change if they put out a new edition of Al-Qadim.

Thanks.

So what word should Al-Qadim have used for holy sites, instead of haram?
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby The Dark » Sat Jul 16, 2016 2:02 am

Big Mac wrote:
2097 wrote:Big Mac, you used the words in the same way Al-Qadim does. I was clarifying to RVW that you were talking about holy sites, not lover's quarters.

Thanks.

So what word should Al-Qadim have used for holy sites, instead of haram?
The best choice would probably be quds. In all Semitic languages that I'm familiar with, q-d-s is the root triconsonant for holy. In Ugaritic, it would be qidshu, and Hebrew would be qadosh.
The Dark
Troll

Postby 2097 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:32 pm

Also they could've just made up a fantasy word and then double-checked that it didn't mean anything.
Hobgoblin

Return to Al-Qadim