Devoted Elementalists & the Unseen

Arabian Adventures in Zakhara, the Land of Fate.
The Book-House: Find Al-Qadim products.

Devoted Elementalists & the Unseen

Postby thorr-kan » Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:07 pm

Has anyone actually used the Devoted Elementalists & the Unseen modifications to the Elemental Mage kits?

These are found in the Complete Sha'ir's Handbook. The first is basically an elemental mage who is a public servant/
Batman! in exchange for more XP. The second is a "deep-cover" elemental mage who masquerades as another kit so the Brotherhood of the True Flame doesn't waste them right away.

I think they show great potential for role-playing, but as I'm the DM, I won't ever get a chance to run one.
thorr-kan
Bugbear

Re: Devoted Elementalists & the Unseen

Postby agathokles » Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:52 pm

In a short lived Ylaruam/Al Qadim crossbreed I run years ago, we had an Unseen Elementalist masquerading as a Corsair. It was an interesting character, indeed.

GP
agathokles
Blue Dragon

Postby thorr-kan » Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:19 am

Any more details?

I think Merchant-Rogue would be fun. My own business!
thorr-kan
Bugbear

Postby Big Mac » Sat Jan 30, 2016 9:34 am

thorr-kan wrote:Has anyone actually used the Devoted Elementalists & the Unseen modifications to the Elemental Mage kits?

These are found in the Complete Sha'ir's Handbook. The first is basically an elemental mage who is a public servant/
Batman! in exchange for more XP. The second is a "deep-cover" elemental mage who masquerades as another kit so the Brotherhood of the True Flame doesn't waste them right away.

I think they show great potential for role-playing, but as I'm the DM, I won't ever get a chance to run one.

I always preferred the 3e Prestige Classes that were tied to an in-character organisation over the ones that were "the dude that can do cool stuff". And I've wondered if (some of) the 2e Kits could be used as the basis of in-character organisations that the PCs could be working with or working against.

I've not got CGR3 The Compete Sha'ir's Handbook yet, but the Devoted Elementalist name sounds a bit like a cult to me. (I could imagine a 3e version having a Monk Order tie-in or a connection with worshippers of beings on the Elemental Planes.)

I'm not so sure of the Unseen. I can't really tell what they are, from what you have said. They sound like they might be similar to the Imposter from CGR1 The Complete Spacefarer's Handbook. :?

Are the Unseen supposed to be some sort of spies? Are they supposed to be working for a specific person (or someone like a genie or elemental lord)? Is there a different order of Unseen for each elemental plane?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby agathokles » Sat Jan 30, 2016 1:01 pm

The Unseen are elementalists who try to escape persecution from the fanatical Brotherhood of the True Flame, a society of Evil fire wizards. They are not spies nor part of an organisation themselves, merely people who have to keep a low profile to survive.

GP
agathokles
Blue Dragon

Return to Al-Qadim