Essential Al-Qadim products?

Arabian Adventures in Zakhara, the Land of Fate.
The Book-House: Find Al-Qadim products.

Essential Al-Qadim products?

Postby Angel Tarragon » Mon Jul 20, 2015 6:13 am

Which rpg books, and not just those specifically produced for Al-Qadim but D20 as well as other RPG systems, would be best for Arabian flavored games?
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Re: Essential Al-Qadim products?

Postby Allen Varney » Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:27 am

For an Al-Qadim campaign I recommend starting with the core Arabian Adventures rulebook, City of Delights, and the Monstrous Compendium. That should keep you busy for a while. After that, get the Land of Fate boxed set and Golden Voyages. The rest of the line is pretty good but inessential.

GURPS Arabian Nights is useful for a more historically accurate campaign, but the book conspicuously disapproves of rip-roaring fun and excitement.
-- Allen Varney
Twitter: AllenVarney | http://www.allenvarney.com | http://bundleofholding.com
Allen Varney
Bugbear

Postby Angel Tarragon » Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:42 am

Thanks! I used to have Endless Sands: Arabian adventure from Avalanche Press but I don't think it stands the test of time and content that well. I pawned it earlier this year. Are there any other D20 products that broach this subject?
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Postby Nate Christen » Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:22 pm

I mostly agree with Allen Varney, except that I would pick up Land of Fate before City of Delights, since it details more of the setting and culture. A Dozen and One Adventures has some good low-level scenarios in it (three of them), along with mid- and high-level ones as well.

-Nate
Author of d20pirates.blogspot.com and talesfromtheedgeoftheempire.blogspot.com
Nate Christen
Troll

Postby Big Mac » Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:15 pm

The Book-House on The Piazza's Al-Qadim section might help you find some deals on Amazon. (You might need to turn off your pop-up blocker, to get Amazon's deal finder to work.)
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Big Mac » Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:19 pm

Nate Christen wrote:I mostly agree with Allen Varney, except that I would pick up Land of Fate before City of Delights, since it details more of the setting and culture. A Dozen and One Adventures has some good low-level scenarios in it (three of them), along with mid- and high-level ones as well.

I would have said Land of Fate second too, but I guess it depends on if you want to start off with a city-based campaign, or start off planning an uber-campaign that visits the entire area of Zakhara.

Given that players might get bored with any campaign, it might actually be more sensible to follow Allen's advice and create some stonkingly good detail in the City of Delights before trying to flesh out the rest of Zakhara.
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby ripvanwormer » Sat Aug 22, 2015 12:22 am

ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Postby Angel Tarragon » Sat Aug 22, 2015 11:58 am

Big Mac wrote:I would have said Land of Fate second too, but I guess it depends on if you want to start off with a city-based campaign, or start off planning an uber-campaign that visits the entire area of Zakhara.

Given that players might get bored with any campaign, it might actually be more sensible to follow Allen's advice and create some stonkingly good detail in the City of Delights before trying to flesh out the rest of Zakhara.
Actually I have more of an interest in the broad strokes of the setting. I don't think fitting an Arabian culture into my homebrew would work considering that it is mostly tropical (with Super Tropical zones), unless I could somehow rework the flavor of the culture to jibe with a different temperature band. Anyway, I am likely to pick up the setting set and City of Delights first.

ripvanwormer wrote:There's a third edition conversion manual.
I am aware of that and have a copy on my hard drive.
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Postby Boneguard » Sat Aug 22, 2015 1:43 pm

My Al-Qadim stuff consist of Al-Qadim adventures, Land of Fate box-set, Monstrous compendium, the Sha'ir handbook and a photocopy of every Monster found in the various modules as well as the Geomancer kit and Scimitar of the Dark (or something like that) and the Yakman articles from Dragon magazine.

I'm pretty happy with it as it gives me a lot of flexibility.
Roleplaying is not a Hobby...it's a Way of Life.

Consolidated projet thread
Boneguard
Frost Giant

Postby Big Mac » Mon Aug 24, 2015 2:33 am

Angel Tarragon wrote:Actually I have more of an interest in the broad strokes of the setting. I don't think fitting an Arabian culture into my homebrew would work considering that it is mostly tropical (with Super Tropical zones), unless I could somehow rework the flavor of the culture to jibe with a different temperature band. Anyway, I am likely to pick up the setting set and City of Delights first.

Hmm. That's actually a different question...maybe something that deserves its own topic.

I'm not sure that Al-Qadim and Forgotten Realms have much canon between them relating to natives of Zakhara who have migrated elsewhere, but with them having sea traders (and a boxed set about corsairs) I bet there is something to go on.

And if the Al-Qadim products do not provide the details you need, then you can probably look at the real-world migration of Arabs or Muslims to get an idea of how well the culture can migrate away from an Arabian environment. It can get pretty cold in deserts, so the natives of Al-Qadim could probably migrate a fair distance away from the tropics before they needed to dress differently.

I know that the real-world had Arabs living in Spain at one point, and that they left behind a lot of buidings, when they were forced to leave. I believe there is also an Arab-like culture in the Flanaess. So comparing the material for that and the material for Al-Qadim itself, would allow you to see what level of variation to expect.

If you allow for people wearing layers of clothing, it shouldn't be to hard to imagine some sort of "Snow Arabs", who live up mountains or in the Arctic or Antarctic. Have you ever seen a film called The Thirteenth Warrior? That's about an Arab that goes on an adventure with a bunch of Vikings.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Angel Tarragon » Mon Aug 24, 2015 2:43 am

Big Mac wrote:Have you ever seen a film called The Thirteenth Warrior? That's about an Arab that goes on an adventure with a bunch of Vikings.
I have not I will definitely have to check it out!
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Postby The Dark » Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:55 am

Like previously suggested, I would put Arabian Adventures and Land of Fate at the top of the list. The second tier would be the regional products - City of Delights (focuses on Huzuz), A Dozen and One Adventures (focuses on Muluk), Ruined Kingdoms (Nog and Kadar), and Corsairs of the Great Sea (Hawa). The first two are more purely Arabian Nights influenced, with City of Delights being more of a big urban setting, while Dozen and One is some urban, some wilderness. Ruined Kingdoms is in the jungle area, and deals with the lost civilizations, while Corsairs is about...well, the corsairs. It also has a tie to Spelljammer, as one of the corsairs is from the Oriental Adventures region, and flew over in a dragonship.

The adventures are a bit hit-and-miss. I like Golden Voyages (it feels like a Sinbad movie), and most of Cities of Bone is supposed to be good (I don't have a copy but have played through a couple of the scenarios that went well), but I wasn't fond of either Assassin Mountain or Caravans.
The Dark
Troll

Return to Al-Qadim