Goblin Sugazer Mages, from Scimatars Against the Dark.

Arabian Adventures in Zakhara, the Land of Fate.
The Book-House: Find Al-Qadim products.

Goblin Sugazer Mages, from Scimatars Against the Dark.

Postby thorr-kan » Sun Jan 31, 2016 5:41 pm

(Spreading the net a little wider.)

Dragon 198 has Wolfgang Baur's (Kobold Press and Open Design) Dark Arabia setting. Basically, it is Ravenloft in Al-Qadim. It has the sungazer mage kit, open to goblins and humans. See City of Delights boxed set for goblin mages.

Now editorial oversight, and maybe house rules, but CoD doesn't have goblin mages, not even AQ's sha'ir kit. Nor does Complete Book of Humanoids. Hobgoblins can be sha'irs of 7th level, so they're covered. But if you want the mad mage goblin-proper, what to do?

Comparing hobgoblins and goblins, CoD has hobs with higher levels in fighter, but gobs with higher levels in ranger and thief. Priest is limited to 9 for both.

I'm thinking level 7 for goblin sungazers. While a hobgoblin is more disciplined, goblins are crazypants. so I think it evens out.

Thoughts, arguments, alternatives?
Last edited by thorr-kan on Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thorr-kan
Bugbear

Re: Goblin Sugazer Mages Mages, from Scimatars Against the D

Postby AuldDragon » Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:00 am

My gut is that it is an editorial error, and means those goblinoids who are listed as being able to be sha'ir, i.e. hobgoblins and half-orcs, and perhaps ogres and half-ogres. If you want to allow the other races listed there, then I would say 7 for goblins is reasonable given the LL for hobgoblins, and 5 for orcs given the LL for half-orcs. Kobolds could be 5 as well, given they can be bards (?!) of level 6.

Also, how have I missed the chart in City of Delights for so long?! Gotta update my long-neglected spreadsheet now... :)

Jeff
Let's Play Old Games with AuldDragon (Youtube) | My 2nd Edition Blog
Monster Mythology Update Project | Spelljammer Livestream Campaign
"That sums it up in a nutshell, AuldDragon. You make a more convincing argument. But he's right and you're not."
AuldDragon
White Dragon

Re: Goblin Sugazer Mages Mages, from Scimatars Against the D

Postby thorr-kan » Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:58 pm

AuldDragon wrote:<SNIP>Also, how have I missed the chart in City of Delights for so long?! Gotta update my long-neglected spreadsheet now... :)

That table's been my main humanoid reference for years now. I like CompHum, I just feel it's a little limited.
thorr-kan
Bugbear

Return to Al-Qadim