Al-Qadim project on DM's Guild with Karl Waller and more...

Arabian Adventures in Zakhara, the Land of Fate.
The Book-House: Find Al-Qadim products.

Al-Qadim project on DM's Guild with Karl Waller and more...

Postby quickleaf » Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:58 pm

Hey guys! Thanks to Big Mac for keeping the AQ flame going on these forums.

I don't frequent the piazza much, but I wanted to let you know about a project I've got going....

What started with some online conversations is growing into a DM's Guild product - the Adventurer's Guide to Al-Qadim! Here's the current status of the project...

Myself and a few other gentlemen are taking point on a large-scale quality conversion of Al-Qadim to 5e, to be published for FREE on DM's Guild. The intention is to (a) rejuvenate interest in this wonderful setting, (b) provide a foundation for future publishers to put out AQ stuff on DM's Guild, and (c) offer both the traditional setting and a post-Spellplague setting (what Zakharans know as the "Great Unbinding" of the Seal of Jafar al-Samal) for DMs to choose from.

I'm pretty good with layout design and I've also written a few freelance gaming articles as well as Tales of the Caliphate Nights for Paradigm Concepts/Green Ronin. The others committed to the project have skills in copyediting, game design, and writing. We're working via the Slack app and have done some solid work so far!

I've been in touch with Matt McElroy, Director of Publishing & Marketing at DrivethruRPG, who patiently fielded my legal questions about what's in-bounds and what's out-of-bounds for Al-Qadim.

Also, we have some terrific artists who are donating to the project. Karl Waller (who did the interior illustrations for AQ) said he'd graciously donate a couple of black and white pieces from the AD&D line :D Though we need to work out who has the rights, that's super generous of him! Also, Rob McCaleb donated a fantastic fan-made map of Zakhara. Woohoo!

I'm looking to pay out of pocket for an art student - the talented tea-for-jbass to do a few sketches or a cover.

Lastly, I've reached out to Wolfgang Baur, and another of the gents has reached out to David "Zeb" Cook about possibly collaborating.

EDIT: There are a few new Al-Qadim products on DM's Guild at this time. Neither are affiliated with us.

The first, Al-Qadim Classes and Backgrounds by Brent "VAD" Rogers is a quick n' dirty guide with low reviews. Not much else to say.

The second, Al-Qadim Archetypes - Scimitars Against the Dark by Jeremy Forbing does a great job of putting a darker Cthulu-esque spin on Arabian Adventures. You may recognize this title from the article "Scimitars Against the Dark" by Mr. Wolfgang Baur in DRAGON #198! I think Jeremy did a terrific job and I connected with him via Facebook to trade notes - he was stoked to hear what we were doing, and I think his work should be plenty compatible with what we're doing.
quickleaf
Goblin

Re: Al-Qadim project on DM's Guild with Karl Waller and more

Postby Tim Baker » Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:50 pm

This sounds awesome, and I'm looking to it. If this is a project Wolfgang Baur and Zeb Cook get involved with, it would be even more exciting. Either way, I'm definitely keeping an eye out for this release.
Image My Google+ RPG-related posts. | Image Escalation! fanzine for 13th Age.
Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Postby Seethyr » Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:18 pm

This is fantastic news, and thank you for putting it up for free. Truly, you should consider doing a PWYW because that's the type of project that appreciative fans would actually prefer to support. That's just imho.

I'm wondering about the contents. At some point could you tease with a table of contents?
All Maztica Alive Netbooks Available in the Link:The Maztica Alive Campaign

Newest Book: TWC6 True World Bestiary II - Monsters A-H

Maztica Alive! Yahoo Group Join Us
Seethyr
Frost Giant

Postby quickleaf » Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:18 pm

Seethyr wrote:This is fantastic news, and thank you for putting it up for free. Truly, you should consider doing a PWYW because that's the type of project that appreciative fans would actually prefer to support. That's just imho.

I'm wondering about the contents. At some point could you tease with a table of contents?

Hi Seethyr, I'm fairly certain I posted the TOC in the ENWorld thread, but...

EDIT: I tried linking an image of the TOC here, but Piazza prevents images over 600 pixels from being linked, so... GoogleDrive link to the working TOC

Re: Free vs. PWYW

Free is the only way to do it, because (a) I'm working with a team, (b) We have donated art in this product, and (c) We have donated stuff from bloggers who've contributed.

I don't mean to make the project sound like a total mish-mash. On the contrary, we've got very high standards, and I'm taking point on all graphic design/layout. However, after extensive discussion, we realized that it would be WAY too complicated to try to reimburse everyone involved in the project. For example: So I would pay an art student for cover art from the project's proceeds, but not Karl Waller? We have four principle authors, but we aren't doing equal amounts of work, so how do we divide pay? With an "evergreen" e-book that can continually be purchased, when do authors/contributors get paid and how do handle taxes in such a complicated scenario?

To avoid ALL of that, we thought about doing "PWYW: donate to the American Red Cross or St. Jude's", but DM's Guild doesn't have that set up.

So...long story short, it has to be FREE.

That said, myself and others fully intend to put out additional AQ support after the free conversion in the form of paid products and PWYW products (and we'll probably have our own non-AQ logo so you can readily identify our works). I know, for a fact, that one of the gents plans to do an Al-Qadim Bestiary. I am working on a new massive adventure for levels 5-10 called "Shadow of the Faceless God." Additionally, at some point I'll be releasing a free AQ publisher's kit on DM's Guild so the resources we use will be open to the community to publish with.
quickleaf
Goblin

Postby Tim Baker » Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:10 am

It looks like this book will provide a generous amount of content. I like what I see. Do the colors represent levels of "doneness?"

quickleaf wrote:I know, for a fact, that one of the gents plans to do an Al-Qadim Bestiary. I am working on a new massive adventure for levels 5-10 called "Shadow of the Faceless God."

Very exciting. You can never have too many great monsters and adventures. :)
Image My Google+ RPG-related posts. | Image Escalation! fanzine for 13th Age.
Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Postby quickleaf » Tue Feb 23, 2016 5:10 am

Tim Baker wrote:It looks like this book will provide a generous amount of content. I like what I see. Do the colors represent levels of "doneness?"

It's definitely going to clock in over 100 pages. This is from our internal discussions, so the colors are actually division of labor - who's doing what. We're pretty much right in the middle of the project, but because we're all doing this out of love in our spare time, we haven't put any deadline on it -- we're far more concerned with doing it right.

quickleaf wrote:Very exciting. You can never have too many great monsters and adventures. :)

Huzzah to that :)
quickleaf
Goblin

Return to Al-Qadim