Reverse 13th Warrior concept

Arabian Adventures in Zakhara, the Land of Fate.
The Book-House: Find Al-Qadim products.

Reverse 13th Warrior concept

Postby Big Mac » Sat Sep 03, 2016 11:24 am

A friend of mine, called Marcin just came up with an interesting idea for an Al-Qadim campaign:
Marcin at the Al-Qadim group on Facebook wrote:You can trick players by reversing 13th warrior plot and have "classic fantasy" heroes brought into arabian setting!

Here is the trailer for The 13th Warrior, for anyone who has not seen this awesome Arabian/Viking movie:

That makes me think of a Viking longship arriving in Zakhara...although I don't think that is what he intended.

Here are a few articles online about real-world Vikings meeting real-world Arabs:

I don't think I've seen any longships in Forgotten Realms art. Are there any people in Faerûn that would be a good replacement for Vikings?

Would it be possible to do anything with this sort of campaign...other than have it descend into warfare?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: Reverse 13th Warrior concept

Postby Tim Baker » Sat Sep 03, 2016 8:53 pm

Big Mac wrote:Would it be possible to do anything with this sort of campaign...other than have it descend into warfare?

You could have Odin (or some similar god) send the Vikings on a quest. With just a single longship of Vikings, they would recognize that they'd quickly be defeated, and would instead work with the Zakharans.
Image My Google+ RPG-related posts. | Image Escalation! fanzine for 13th Age.
Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Postby Havard » Sun Sep 04, 2016 1:29 pm

Love this idea!

I think there is a culture in the northern parts of the Moonshae Isles called Illuskan or Northlanders which are basically Vikings or Medieval Scandinavians. I think they may fit what you are looking for.

In our real world, contact between Scandinavia and the Middle East predate the Viking Age by several centuries, but before the Longship technology, such contact was most likely limited to trade with intermediaries. The Longship technology and sophisticated navigation techniques allowed the Vikings to traverse the North Sea and explore distant realms like North America and the Middle East.

-Havard

The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby BirelArweh » Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:38 pm

My take on this is "The Seventh Sailor can be no Zakharran!"
That's all I've got, but I've had that much kicking around my brain for a few years.
BirelArweh
Kobold

Postby Morfie » Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:03 am

The movie was based on the much-better book by Michael Crichton called Eaters Of The Dead, which in turn is a variant on Beowulf.
Morfie
Metamorph

Postby Boneguard » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:32 pm

Havard wrote:Love this idea!

I think there is a culture in the northern parts of the Moonshae Isles called Illuskan or Northlanders which are basically Vikings or Medieval Scandinavians. I think they may fit what you are looking for.

-Havard

Indeed that would be our closest Viking counterpart.
Roleplaying is not a Hobby...it's a Way of Life.

Consolidated projet thread
Boneguard
Frost Giant

Postby 2097 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:55 pm

There is a Viking longship in Hawa in the box Corsairs of the Great Sea. The captain's name is Rolf Trygveson, a human male level 8 figher from Icewind Dale. From the description, and from the fact that he's from Icewind Dale, he does sound like an Illuskan to me.
Hobgoblin

Postby 2097 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:17 pm

Rolf's ship is called the Raven and he and his fellow Illuskan crew founded a village called the Ravenwing. They've married into Zakharan families.

There is also a Spelljammer dragonship in Hawa ♥
The captain is also from a distant part of al-Toril, he's from Hai Yuan. He has returned to al-Toril (or as outworlders call it, Toril) after a stint in space.
Hobgoblin

Return to Al-Qadim