Plane Shift: Kaladesh and Al-Qadim

Arabian Adventures in Zakhara, the Land of Fate.
The Book-House: Find Al-Qadim products.

Plane Shift: Kaladesh and Al-Qadim

Postby Tim Baker » Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:01 pm

Is anyone familiar with the Kaladesh setting for Magic: The Gathering? If so, do you think the Plane Shift: Kaladesh sourcebook for 5th Edition D&D will offer any useful tidbits for a 5e Al-Qadim campaign?

Image My Google+ RPG-related posts. | Image Escalation! fanzine for 13th Age.
Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Re: Plane Shift: Kaladesh and Al-Qadim

Postby ripvanwormer » Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:08 pm

Al-Qadim is Arabic fantasy, while it's my understanding that Kaladesh is (very) loosely based on India. The name is probably meant to evoke Bangladesh.

James Wyatt wrote the Mahasarpa campaign for Oriental Adventures, so perhaps some of that product's southeast Asian influences will shine through.
Last edited by ripvanwormer on Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Postby thorr-kan » Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:10 pm

Not familiar with it. I'll be interested in seeing this discussion.
thorr-kan
Bugbear

Postby Tim Baker » Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:35 am

ripvanwormer wrote:Al-Qadim is Arabic fantasy, while it's my understanding that Kaladesh is (very) loosely based on India. The name is probably meant to evoke Bangladesh.

James Wyatt wrote the Mahasarpa campaign for Oriental Adventures, so perhaps some of that product's southeast Asian influences will shine through.

Thanks for clarifying that. I admit, my guess was based purely on the background in the post's image. The dome shaped tops to the buildings reminded me of the styling in Al-Qadim.
Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Postby Big Mac » Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:26 am

ripvanwormer wrote:Al-Qadim is Arabic fantasy, while it's my understanding that Kaladesh is (very) loosely based on India. The name is probably meant to evoke Bangladesh.

There is a Kaladesh article on MTG Salvation Wiki that gives some information about the setting. And WotC have a Story page at the Kaladesh website that seems to have in-character information on it.

ripvanwormer wrote:James Wyatt wrote the Mahasarpa campaign for Oriental Adventures, so perhaps some of that product's southeast Asian influences will shine through.

I didn't notice anything at first glance. But I'm not a Mahasarpa expert. It is possible that someone else will spot something I missed.

(I wonder if James Wyatt will ever do a 5e Mahasarpa update. :) )
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Big Mac » Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:28 am

Tim Baker wrote:

Thanks for clarifying that. I admit, my guess was based purely on the background in the post's image. The dome shaped tops to the buildings reminded me of the styling in Al-Qadim.

Maybe it could work for a "beyond the Yak Men" culture. :?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Havard » Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:51 am

Huh,
I had no idea this was coming. So WotC is suddenly open to the idea of combining D&D and MtG? :)

I don't know anything about Kaladesh, but now I am intrigued!

-Havard

The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Tim Baker » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:03 am

Havard wrote:I had no idea this was coming. So WotC is suddenly open to the idea of combining D&D and MtG? :)

They've released two such crossover supplements, already. Plane shift: Zendikar and Innistrad.
Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Postby Angelika Tatsu » Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:50 pm

Tim Baker wrote:
Havard wrote:I had no idea this was coming. So WotC is suddenly open to the idea of combining D&D and MtG? :)

They've released two such crossover supplements, already. Plane shift: Zendikar and Innistrad.

I knew of the Innistrad one, but not Zendikar. The fact that a third one is on the way gets me curious...what if WotC compiles all the MtG worlds and produces a hardback? This could be the beginning of a new Planescape setting.
In morte veritá.

Projects: Erath (TBD), Sundered Realms
Angelika Tatsu
Goblin Girl

Postby Angelika Tatsu » Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:31 pm

Plane Shift: Kaladesh is now available for download!

http://media.wizards.com/2017/downloads ... ladesh.pdf
In morte veritá.

Projects: Erath (TBD), Sundered Realms
Angelika Tatsu
Goblin Girl

Postby Tim Baker » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:38 am

Angelika Tatsu wrote:Plane Shift: Kaladesh is now available for download!

http://media.wizards.com/2017/downloads ... ladesh.pdf

Thanks for sharing the link!
Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Postby Isuru » Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:21 am

Soooo much art.

Hate to think it, but if D&D ever becomes a truly vestigial aspect of WotC's portfolio (as in solely an afterthought moniker used to support other brands), there are worst things that riding on the coat-tails of Magic: The Gathering.
Isuru
Ogre

Postby willpell » Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:08 pm

Augh, I'm torn. I finally kicked my MTG habit, and I don't want to risk a relapse. But Kaladesh was practically designed to make me drool, and the idea of getting to see it *solely* from a non-card-game perspective does tempt me.
willpell
White Dragon

Postby ripvanwormer » Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:47 am

Big Mac wrote:Maybe it could work for a "beyond the Yak Men" culture. :?

The Kuong Kingdom in Kara-Tur is supposed to worship the Indian pantheon, for what it's worth. Their gods, who they call the Lords of Creation, are said to be "adopted from a southwestern culture beyond the bounds of Kara-Tur" according to the Kara Tur: The Eastern Realms boxed set.

Durpar in the Shining South has a somewhat Hindu-inspired religion, though probably not the same faith as that practiced by the Kuong Kingdom. If it was the same faith as Durpar, though, that might help make the Kuong Kingdom feel like a more integrated part of Toril than dropping the real-world Indian pantheon into it would.

I don't think the "southwestern culture" mentioned in Kara Tur: the Eastern Realms ever got a canon name, though here's a previous thread on the "India" of the Forgotten Realms, focusing on Markus Taylor's fanon details. He called the area Jambu Dweepam.
ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Return to Al-Qadim