Golden Voyages weather system

Arabian Adventures in Zakhara, the Land of Fate.
The Book-House: Find Al-Qadim products.
Hobgoblin

Golden Voyages weather system

Post by 2097 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:49 am

Oh, I forgot to post this here, something I made last fall.

It's a weather system based on the rules in Golden Voyages and the 2e DMG.

The original rules are (to my mind) very complex and interdependent, you need to have both books open and one table modifies the other and vice versa.

Instead, my take looks sort of like a game board where you move a pawn around to various weather squares. It's usable with 2e and gives exactly the same results with the same probabilities as using the original system combining Golden Voyages + 2e DMG.

I'm prepping a Corsairs of the Great Sea campaign using 5e but I'm going to use this weather system, and the ships from Golden Voyages, there too. I know maybe the Great Sea doesn't have the exact same climate as the Crowded Sea, but for my purposes it's close enough.

If you're running Golden Voyages in 2e, though, my system might be a real time saver for you. Hope you like it.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: Golden Voyages weather system

Post by Big Mac » Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:09 pm

That looks really interesting. I think I need to spend a bit of time working out how to us it, but it looks fun.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker » Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:53 pm

Very cool. Nice way of representing the data.
Image My Google+ RPG-related posts. | Image Escalation! fanzine for 13th Age.

Hobgoblin

Post by 2097 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:38 am

Thanks for the kind words, that means a lot!

I actually bought a 2e DMG just for this :D (I went with a PDF version since I run 5e at the table… well, except for weather, now).

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:37 pm

Very neat! :cool:

Hobgoblin

Post by 2097 » Wed May 10, 2017 12:04 pm

Big Mac wrote:That looks really interesting. I think I need to spend a bit of time working out how to us it, but it looks fun.
It's like a board game. You take a game pawn and place it on one of the weathers. Then every morning, roll 2d6 and follow that line to a new point (or, stay on the same if you get the numbers in that little side-bulb).

If there's wind, it's ⅓ chance of it being in the wrong direction and your movement is halved. Otherwise, use the movement modifier inside the square you're in, so if it's Strong Winds that aren't Adverse, you multiply your movement by 3.

The danger marks means make a Seaworthiness check. The double danger means: make it at -45% (-9 on a d20).

Some examples: Let's say it's hurricane and you roll 2d6 = 7. That means the wind slows down to gale, and you can roll 1d3 = 2 to see that the winds aren't adverse. You still have to make a seaworthiness check, but if you survive it, you can multiply your boat's movement by 4. The next morning, you roll 2d6 = 10 which means it starts up to hurricane again. You probably die at that point.

The chance that it goes from favorable winds to hurricane in two days is about 1/6. So this system is pretty... bad? Sorry, Zeb!
(I hadn't checked that before, I just put all effort into being faithful to 2e, which it is -- the results are completely isomorphic.)

Hobgoblin

Post by 2097 » Sat May 13, 2017 6:08 pm

I guess that's why Zeb has no PC die when the ship sinks. Instead they bob around on the flotsam. Still, that's five digits of dinars sunk into that zarug.

Hobgoblin

Post by 2097 » Sun May 14, 2017 8:09 pm

I bought a PDF copy of the 1e Wilderness Survival Guide because I heard it had good weather.
It has very detailed weather even for tropical and the chances of hurricanes are much lower. Instead of 1/36 per two days, it's 1/216 and only in the summer months.

I made cards, one for each season and terrain type (28 total + 2 cards that are used all the time) but I'm not sure they're that useful for anyone else.

They are specific to tropical only, the wind-direction-arrows are specific to northern Zakhara only.

I changed the letter codes for temperatures to a number code to get rid of the lookup step.
I quantified the bumpy curve to instead be steps of 5 degrees Fahrenheit (which I found was the average difference between the letter codes). The coldest point of the day (just before sunrise) is 10°F below the day's temperature, the highest (early afternoon) is 10°F above. (That spread is 17.8 in WSG and I put it at 20 because that's much easier to use.)

I changed the "two separate colors of dice" system to look at evens or odds instead which I double-checked has the same probabilities. And I flipped one of the special weather tables (again, still has the same probabilities) so it took up less space on the card.

In WSG's weather system there's an "Extreme precipitation" result which for tropical can be either hail storm or lightning storm, I renamed it "freak storm" and put the probablities on those cards that had it. Again, minimizing lookup is the goal. Just to have two double-sided cards in front of me. "Daily Weather/Weathers" + the current terrain+season.

I changed the MPH speeds for winds to 2e style movement multipliers.

Ugh, I spend all day on this and by now I'm pretty sick of the WSG system. I'll sleep on whether to even include it in the game or not. I know it's a darling because I spent so much work on it, but if it's too clunky...

Maybe the obvious thing to do is just to throw out both the WSG and the Golden Voyages tables and make a simple random table of winds + sailing modifiers, and only have it become hurricane if it's summer and only about 1/216 chance.

Something like this (first draft):

3d6|Wind|Sail multiplier|Seaworthiness check 3|Hurricane (only if summer)|5|+9 4|Adverse storm|½|+0 5|Stormy weather|4|+0 6|Strong adverse winds|½|No 7-8|Strong favorable winds|3|No 9-10|Adverse winds|½|No 11-13|Favorable winds|2|No 14|Light breeze|1|No 15|Adverse light breeze|½|No 16, 18|Becalmed|0|No 17|Light breeze with fog|1|No

Ofc, the biggest darling of all is my original "board game" system that started this thread, I really got attached to it. But sooo many hurricanes...

The Dark
Troll

Post by The Dark » Mon May 15, 2017 12:20 am

For an OSR game I'm working on, I had come up with a system based on Beaufort wind ratings, using a d20 to establish original weather and a d6 to figure changes:
1 - Calm - cannot sail
2-3 - Light Air
4-5 - Light Breeze
6-8 - Gentle Breeze
9-11 - Moderate Breeze (this is the average, and would be the baseline for sailing)
12-14 - Fresh Breeze
15-16 - Strong Breeze
17 - Moderate Gale
18 - Fresh Gale
19 - Strong Gale
20 - Storm - roll on subtable

Subtable
1-10 - Whole Gale
11-18 - Storm
19-20 - Hurricane

During summer, subtract 1. During winter, add 1. Particularly calm or stormy waters may add or subtract 1 as well. At the start of a journey, roll the weather. Each day thereafter, roll 1d6. On a 1, reduce the weather by 1 step. On a 5, increase by 1 step. On a 6, re-roll weather on 1d20.

Since I use different sailing speeds and seaworthiness, I didn't include those, since they wouldn't translate properly.

Return to “Al-Qadim”