Lycan temple floorplans

Arabian Adventures in Zakhara, the Land of Fate.
The Book-House: Find Al-Qadim products.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Lycan temple floorplans

Post by Big Mac » Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:25 pm

I just stumbled into a thread called Mapping with ProFantasy's Software: Al-Qadim - Lycan Temple on the profantasy.com forums that has floorplans of...a Lycan temple in Al-Qadim.

The area around the temple is developed more at the Cartographers' Guild on a thread called September/October 2012 Lite Challenge: Village of Taffarel.

I'm not sure yet, if Taffarel is canon or fanon, but anomiecoalition's work is pretty good, so I thought I'd drop links to it here. :cool:
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

anomiecoalition
Goblin

Re: Lycan temple floorplans

Post by anomiecoalition » Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:27 pm

Thanks for the link (and even more thanks for directing me to this forum which seems to have a wealth of Al-Qadim material.)

The map you referenced is complete "fanon" (the name "taffarel" is actually the name of the Brasilian Goalkeeper on the '94 team). I list it as "Al-Qadim" because I plan on throwing it into my homebrew version of it.

Right now I'm sort of obsessed with mapping Al-Qadim cannon and "fannon". I post it up on either the profantasy or CG forums...but you can find it all at my little blog here: http://drunkennerdery.wordpress.com/

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:11 pm

anomiecoalition wrote:Thanks for the link (and even more thanks for directing me to this forum which seems to have a wealth of Al-Qadim material.)
Welcome to The Piazza, Anomiecoalition. Thanks for coming over.

I think there are fans of Al-Qadim scattered around in various places. I am hoping that this forum can become a rallying point for all Al-Qadim fans to come together and do good things.
anomiecoalition wrote:The map you referenced is complete "fanon" (the name "taffarel" is actually the name of the Brasilian Goalkeeper on the '94 team). I list it as "Al-Qadim" because I plan on throwing it into my homebrew version of it.
Thanks for the clarification. I like fanon as much as I like canon but am currently trying to improve my Al-Qadim-fu, so knowing what is what is good for me.
anomiecoalition wrote:Right now I'm sort of obsessed with mapping Al-Qadim cannon and "fannon". I post it up on either the profantasy or CG forums...but you can find it all at my little blog here: http://drunkennerdery.wordpress.com/
Thanks for the link. I've added it to the Other Al-Qadim Websites (& Free Downloads) sticky. I'm wondering if I should go thorough your various Arabian floorplans and maps and add them to the free downloads section. :?

It is interesting that you would be removing Al-Qadim from Toril and adding it onto your own homebrew world. I plan to keep Al-Qadim on Toril, but I've met a few other people that think that Al-Qadim and the other Forgotten Realms sub-settings would work better on their own and I'll be interested to see how you get on with this.

You might want to check out a few campaign settings/suppliments that are similar to Al-Qadim.

Ylaruam is an area in the Mystara Campaign Setting, that is fairly close to Al-Qadim. We have a lot of Mystara experts here, and they are pretty friendly to fans of other settings, so maybe they can give some suggestions about things that could be used with the Al-Qadim material you are using in your game. (I think they might also want to raid your maps to use them in their Ylaruam games.) Mystara is out of print, but you might be able to pick up a cheap copy of the appropriate Mystara products. Ye Olde Piazza Web Shoppe* has price checking gizmos that look at Amazon in three countries.

* = I've found some good deals with the price checking gadget. Other websites are out there and you should check multiple places, but if you buy a copy via the price checking gadget, Amazon will donate a small amount of money towards the hosting cost of this forum (without charging you extra).

Tales of the Caliphate Nights was written by an Al-Qadim fan and Arabian expert who was working on a 4th Edition conversion of Al-Qadim for a while. I think it is out of print now, but you might be able to track down a cheap copy on the second-hand market. And there is a preview and a free adventure that you might be able to use.

Legend of the Burning Sands was originally a collectable card game (related to Legend of the Five Rings). I signed up to a Legend of the Five Rings forum to find out more about that setting. That is also out of print and was written to be be compatible with an old version of the Legend of the Five Rings roleplaying rules. There is a conversion document (to the new L5R rules) that might have a few things in that inspire your own game.
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.

anomiecoalition
Goblin

Post by anomiecoalition » Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:21 pm

I'm wondering if I should go thorough your various Arabian floorplans and maps and add them to the free downloads section. :?
I make maps as a hobby (and necessary diversion from working on my dissertation). Everyone is more than welcome to utilize my maps for their personal use. This is particularly true since many of the maps on my blog are reproductions of TSR products. (Some are more faithful to the original than others). I think right now I have mapped 2 Al-Qadim adventures from established cannon, 1 Al-Qadim adventure from Dungeon Magazine, 1 Desert inspired encounter from Dungeon, and several originals that can easily be thrown into the Al-Qadim landscape.
It is interesting that you would be removing Al-Qadim from Toril and adding it onto your own homebrew world. I plan to keep Al-Qadim on Toril, but I've met a few other people that think that Al-Qadim and the other Forgotten Realms sub-settings would work better on their own and I'll be interested to see how you get on with this.
Yeah, I just figured that I don't want to be constrained by the established worlds. Eventually, I'd like to create my own Al-Qadim regional map that best suits my needs and later find a way to incorporate it with whatever world I develop.
You might want to check out a few campaign settings/suppliments that are similar to Al-Qadim.
Thanks for the links. Right now, I'm working on mapping/converting the "Master of the Desert Nomads" original D&D adventure to Al-Qadim/3.5. But, I've taken a look at the Ylaruam stuff and I might have to jump on that bandwagon next.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:39 pm

anomiecoalition wrote:
Big Mac wrote:I'm wondering if I should go thorough your various Arabian floorplans and maps and add them to the free downloads section. :?
I make maps as a hobby (and necessary diversion from working on my dissertation). Everyone is more than welcome to utilize my maps for their personal use. This is particularly true since many of the maps on my blog are reproductions of TSR products. (Some are more faithful to the original than others). I think right now I have mapped 2 Al-Qadim adventures from established cannon, 1 Al-Qadim adventure from Dungeon Magazine, 1 Desert inspired encounter from Dungeon, and several originals that can easily be thrown into the Al-Qadim landscape.
If your cartography hobby helps you chill out from your studies, it is great that your chilling out sessions also build things that are going to be useful to Al-Qadim fans for many years to come. The weird thing with old school campaign settings, is that just as you are making things for a setting that went out of print ages back, other people might be discovering your maps weeks, months or even years after you make them.

I skimmed through your maps, looking at them to see what looked good enough to grab, but maybe I should have a slower look, so that I can make a list of them to help other fans know what they should grab. Would this be something you have already done yourself? Do you have a list of your maps? Do you have other content to go with the maps?
anomiecoalition wrote:
Big Mac wrote:It is interesting that you would be removing Al-Qadim from Toril and adding it onto your own homebrew world. I plan to keep Al-Qadim on Toril, but I've met a few other people that think that Al-Qadim and the other Forgotten Realms sub-settings would work better on their own and I'll be interested to see how you get on with this.
Yeah, I just figured that I don't want to be constrained by the established worlds. Eventually, I'd like to create my own Al-Qadim regional map that best suits my needs and later find a way to incorporate it with whatever world I develop.
Sounds like you are doing something fairly similar to two of our other users: Twin Agate Dragons and Knightfall. They are both building homebrew worlds, but Knightfall seems to raid a lot more canon to build his homebrew than TAD does. Anyhoo, they have both spent so much time putting detail into their worlds and talking to other people at The Piazza about them, that the boss of The Piazza gave them each their own subforums (Sarûnia and World of Kulan). You might want to check out some of their stuff, in case it gives you any ideas that inspire you to create parts of your own world.

I kind of have the opposite sort of "obsession" to you, as I want to take the canon and fill in the gaps (rather than build new worlds from old content). The sort of thing I like is how Anna Meyer's Atlas of the Flanaess project (for Greyhawk) is taking the original maps of Darlene Pekul and kind of "zooming in" to show a lot more detail. Nevertheless, I'll be very interested to see how your way of doing things works out for Al-Qadim.
anomiecoalition wrote:
Big Mac wrote:You might want to check out a few campaign settings/suppliments that are similar to Al-Qadim.
Thanks for the links. Right now, I'm working on mapping/converting the "Master of the Desert Nomads" original D&D adventure to Al-Qadim/3.5. But, I've taken a look at the Ylaruam stuff and I might have to jump on that bandwagon next.
Ylaruam certainly does look interesting. And we have a ton of Mystara experts that hang out at The Piazza. Maybe some of them can give you advice about Ylaruam. And maybe they might want to raid your Al-Qadim maps and use them to add some new things to their Ylaruam games. :cool:

Return to “Al-Qadim”