which reroll mechanism do you prefer?

Ashtagon's homebrew rules set.

Re: which reroll mechanism do you prefer?

Postby Ashtagon » Wed May 17, 2017 9:38 am

Okay, now imagine a situation in which players are allowed to spend multiple re-rolls on a single roll.

Before you roll the dice, you may spend one or more fate points to improve your chances of getting a good result. You roll one extra die (or set of dice) for each fate point you spend, and can choose the best result from all of these.

If after seeing the die roll and being told what this means for your character's actions, you are not happy, you can spend a fate point to roll again. The original result is discarded, and you must take the new result, for better or for worse. As long as you have fate points left to spend, you may choose to continue spending fate points on the roll, discarding the previous result and taking the new result in its place each time.

This gives a distinctly better mechanic for spending the points before the roll, but leaves a functionally less useful mechanic as an option if the player is still not happy with the result. Spending large numbers of fate points on a single roll probably isn't something that will happen unless it's life-or-death, but I want to leave the option in for players to do so if they wish.
Emma Rome, otherwise known as Ashtagon
Overall site admin for The Piazza. My moderator colour is pink!
Ashtagon
Hierarch

Postby 2097 » Wed May 17, 2017 3:55 pm

In that system, why would anyone spend more than one point initially? They could spend one at first, then throw more points down the well if they really needed it. Right?

My system is very harsh. What I do is A, you spend to roll two (then take any), but you have to throw in all the points you've gathered, no matter how many you have to go from non-zero to zero.
Hobgoblin

Postby Ashtagon » Wed May 17, 2017 4:12 pm

2097 wrote:In that system, why would anyone spend more than one point initially? They could spend one at first, then throw more points down the well if they really needed it. Right?

Wrong. With fate points spent before the roll, there is no risk, except for the opportunity cost of spending those points upfront. If you spend points after the initial roll is made, you risk getting a worse result, which may be a consideration if critical fumbles or degrees of success are in play.
Emma Rome, otherwise known as Ashtagon
Overall site admin for The Piazza. My moderator colour is pink!
Ashtagon
Hierarch

Previous

Return to Apotheon