Oh No! It's an Alignment Thread!

Ashtagon's homebrew rules set.

Re: Oh No! It's an Alignment Thread!

Postby Philosopher » Thu Dec 10, 2015 12:53 am

willpell wrote:I don't quite follow you...could you point out what you mean, both in your post and mine?

<SNIP>

Morality IRL is all in the mind, but the basis of D&D is the assumption that it is a cosmic force as real as gravity. So I don't know that the two can translate.

That's it right there. This is the assumption you're making. But I said that morality has nothing to do with alignment. It's either based on what a character believes morality to be (if you use alignment as a description), or it's based on sides in a conflict (if you use alignment as a cosmic force). Even in 3e, Good and Evil are at best labels for different sides in a conflict that only happen to match moral labels.
- Selman
Philosopher
Cloud Giant

Postby willpell » Thu Dec 31, 2015 5:53 pm

I'm in the mood to pick at this Law vs. Chaos business again, so here goes my latest attempt at explaining my feelings on the subject.

Actually, let's move this to a new thread. It's getting a little too big, and much too formalized (in that it's no longer broad-spectrum philosophy, but the perspective of particular vaguely-defined individuals), to continue to belong here.
Last edited by willpell on Sat Sep 02, 2017 3:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
willpell
White Dragon

Postby willpell » Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:09 pm

Another aspect of this dichotomy - Lawful people tend to be those who, knowing that something MIGHT happen, become worried that it WILL, and seek to guard against the possibility. Chaotic people are more likely to embrace the unknown, living without fear (and quite possibly without sense), never concerning themselves with that which has not yet come to pass, but simply prizing their ability to adapt to situations as they arise.
willpell
White Dragon

Previous

Return to Apotheon