[d20a] Armour

Ashtagon's homebrew rules set.

[d20a] Armour

Postby Ashtagon » Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:30 am

Some general notes on conversion of armour...

* Armour is divided into four weight categories: light, medium, heavy, and superheavy.
* movement rates in light armour are not reduced (30/20 ft). Movement rate in medium armour is 2/3 normal (20/15 ft). Movement in heavy armour is 1/2 normal (15/10 ft), and running is limited to 3 times base speed (it is 4 times base speed with light/medium armours). Super-heavy armour is like heavy armour, except that running is not possible while wearing such armour.
* Light Armour proficiency is needed to wear light armour. Medium Armour Proficiency is needed to wear medium armour. Heavy Armour Proficiency allows you to wear both heavy and super-heavy armour.

Major changes to armour below.

* Light armours allow a character full use of the Dexterity bonus. Medium armours limit the Dexterity bonus to a maximum of 1/2 normal (round fractions off). Heavy and super-heavy armours allow a maximum Dexterity bonus of +1.

* All armours (but not shields) offer damage reduction equal to their armour bonus. "mesh" armours (basically anything with "chainmail" or "scale" in the name) offers DR against bludgeoning and slashing weapons only. Cloth-based and leather-based armours offer DR against bludgeoning attacks only. Plate armours offer DR against slashing and piercing weapons only. Any attack roll that scores a natural 20 ignores any armour-based DR. This DR cannot reduce damage below 1 point. The armour bonus to AC is unchanged.

Summary:

[table][thead][tr][th]Material[/th][th]DR works against[/th][th]Examples[/th][/tr][/thead][tr][td]Cloth[/td][td]B[/td][td]Padded[/td][/tr][tr][td]Leather[/td][td]B[/td][td]Leather, studded leather, hide[/td][/tr][tr][td]Metal Mesh[/td][td]B, S[/td][td]Chain shirt, scale mail, chainmail[/td][/tr][tr][td]Metal Plate[/td][td]S, P[/td][td]Breastplate, splint mail, banded mail, half-plate, full plate[/td][/tr][/table]

* When trying to cast a spell, each 5% spell failure chance converts to reducing the caster's effective caster level by 1 (minimum 1), and raises the mana cost to cast each spell by one additional d6 roll.

Thoughts?
Emma Rome, otherwise known as Ashtagon
Overall site admin for The Piazza. My moderator colour is pink!
Ashtagon
Hierarch

Re: [d20a] Armour

Postby Ashtagon » Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:36 am

Explanation of the DR:

I like the DR concept. But adding DR while reducing AC makes armour rather useless. You'd end up being much easier to hit, and reducing the damage by a few points when monsters are doing 20+ damage in a single hit is worthless. So I figured, add both. I added the rock-paper-scissors game to armour choices in order to make weapon decisions more involved, and I added the natural 20 hole and minimum damage hole in order to make sure weapons can still do some damage regardless of armour.

Magical enhancement bonuses on armour apply to both AC and DR.

There will be armour training feats which enable the character to increase the effective DR (and AC, and reduce the skill penalty) of their armour.

I simplified the Dexterity penalties to reduce complexity in the system.
Ashtagon
Hierarch

Postby Gecko » Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:59 am

hmm... Interesting concept.

How about those creatures or characters that already have DR? Does it stack somehow?

Personally I've been testing a version that combines lowering the Armor bonus but grants both DR and on top of that a damage conversion that converts some of the lethal damage into temporary/subdual damage.

I also recently read a rules varient where armor technology & construction allows for more varieties of armor types.
Gecko
Storm Giant

Postby Ashtagon » Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:28 pm

DR gained from body armour stacks with all other DR. The DR from body armour (if any) should be applied before checking the creature's own DR. If if a given attack can bypass the armour's DR, that does not affect whether or not that attack can bypass DR gained from other sources.

In terms of temporary/subdual/non-lethal damage, I am still trying to work out a satisfactory system.
Ashtagon
Hierarch

Postby Big Mac » Mon May 04, 2009 3:26 pm

Ashtagon wrote:In terms of temporary/subdual/non-lethal damage, I am still trying to work out a satisfactory system.

Have you gotten there yet?

I've generally found (with standard rules) that it is pretty hard to capture someone alive (without your PCs taking extra damage).

I think that maybe any character with a "backstab" bonus should be better at knocking people out. I suppose this needs to be linked in with wrestling and grappling and all of that sort of stuff.

Maybe monks should also be good at subdual damage, via the Flurry of Slaps rules. ;) :twisted:
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Romellio » Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:50 am

not to nit pick but you said you wanted this class to be a heavy armor fighter but you did not include said profenicy. just a thought
Romellio
Kobold

Return to Apotheon