Strength vs constitution

Ashtagon's homebrew rules set.
Sock Puppet
Troll

Strength vs constitution

Post by Sock Puppet » Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:56 am

Ivery been considering dropping constitution as a stat entirely. The main game functions of fort saves and hp bonuses can be adequately covered by strength. Some changes to that would be needed for non biological critters. But that's generally true in 3e anyway. Merging the two also means not having a stat with no skills or actions attached to it. The really healthy dude trope can either be a high strength or modest strength with some combination of the usual health feats (great fortitude, toughness, endurance etc).

Opinions?
I am Ashtagon's sock puppet account.

willpell
Black Dragon

Re: Strength vs constitution

Post by willpell » Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:31 am

The fact that undead don't have a Constitution score, and that Meldshaping is CON-based, among other things, lend themselves to the idea that CON is more of a mystical "life energy" rather than just having a buff body. Also, the ease with which certain monsters and templates drive STR into the stratosphere is likely to become a problem, if you change the rules in favor of extra STR.

If I were to remove any one stat, it would be Intelligence. Players who put points into INT get to spend more skill points, which doesn't just make their characters more competent at certain non-combat tasks (and in a few cases give them extra combat maneuvers, like feinting and tumbling), but also allow further customization (or at least codification) of your character's personality. I would rather uncouple the number of skill points from the INT variations, giving all characters the same number of extra "personal interest" skill points beyond the 2/4/6/8 given by their class, which would leave INT with little significance and potentially removable.

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:42 pm

willpell wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:31 am
I would rather uncouple the number of skill points from the INT variations, giving all characters the same number of extra "personal interest" skill points beyond the 2/4/6/8 given by their class, which would leave INT with little significance and potentially removable.
You've piqued my interest in something I'd like to implement in my new homebrew project, I wonder if you could go into more detail as to how you would execute this in the Homebrew forum?

willpell
Black Dragon

Post by willpell » Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:52 am

Angel Tarragon wrote:
Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:42 pm
willpell wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:31 am
I would rather uncouple the number of skill points from the INT variations, giving all characters the same number of extra "personal interest" skill points beyond the 2/4/6/8 given by their class, which would leave INT with little significance and potentially removable.
You've piqued my interest in something I'd like to implement in my new homebrew project, I wonder if you could go into more detail as to how you would execute this in the Homebrew forum?
You've just seen pretty much everything I have on the subject so far.

Return to “Apotheon”