[d20a] skill points

Ashtagon's homebrew rules set.

[d20a] skill points

Postby Ashtagon » Sun May 10, 2009 3:57 pm

Since the other skills thread is getting a bit tangled (and was initially about a system which I have now decided NOT to use), I'm reposting the consolidated version I plan to use here.

* Each class has a certain number of skills that are identified as "class skills".
* Each class has a "class skill bonus", usually a number between 2 and 8.

At 1st level, a character gets a number of skill points equal to (class skill bonus + Intelligence modifier) x 4. These may be freely spent on class skills or cross-class skills. A maximum of 4 points may be spent on a class skill; a maximum of 2 points may be spent on a cross-class skill. Each skill point raises the characters rank in that skill by one level, whether it is a class skill or a cross-class skill.

Each time you gain a level, you receive a number of skill points equal to (class skill bonus + Intelligence modifier). These may be spent on class skills or cross-class skills. If you spend points on a class skill, the maximum rank you can raise the skill to is (character level + 3). If you spend points on a cross-class skill, the maximum rank you can raise the skill to is (character level + 3) / 2, rounded down.

If, when you gain a level, you multi-class into a new class that has a higher class skill bonus than any class you already have levels in, you gain additional skill points. The amount is equal to (new class skill bonus - old "best" class skill bonus) x 3. Intelligence modifiers do not apply to skill points gained in this way.

Any time a character's Intelligence modifier increases as a result of a permanent change in his Intelligence score, the character receives extra skill points to spend. The amount is equal to (change in Intelligence modifier) x (character level + 3). These skill points must be spent immediately.

Any time a character's Intelligence modifier decreases as a result of a permanent change in his Intelligence score, the character loses skill points. The amount is equal to (change in Intelligence modifier) x (character level + 3). These skill points must be removed immediately. (Note sure about this paragraph; stupidity is its own punishment; no need to compound it with lost skill points).
Emma Rome, otherwise known as Ashtagon
Overall site admin for The Piazza. My moderator colour is pink!
Ashtagon
Hierarch

Re: [d20a] skill points

Postby Gecko » Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:54 am

Ashtagon wrote:Each skill point raises the characters rank in that skill by one level, whether it is a class skill or a cross-class skill.
If you spend points on a cross-class skill, the maximum rank you can raise the skill to is (character level + 3) / 2, rounded down.

I hadn't noticed the bolded part on previous read-throughs, it is a good way of making cross-class skills more worth taking.

If, when you gain a level, you multi-class into a new class that has a higher class skill bonus than any class you already have levels in, you gain additional skill points. The amount is equal to (new class skill bonus - old "best" class skill bonus) x 3. Intelligence modifiers do not apply to skill points gained in this way.

Not so sure about this one, as it would likely encourage 1 level dipping.

Any time a character's Intelligence modifier decreases as a result of a permanent change in his Intelligence score, the character loses skill points. The amount is equal to (change in Intelligence modifier) x (character level + 3). These skill points must be removed immediately. (Note sure about this paragraph; stupidity is its own punishment; no need to compound it with lost skill points).

Yeah, that seems harsh. I'd say either acrue a skill point debt (to be paid off in future levels) or maybe just some sort of cross-the-board penalty to all skill checks until a certaint number of levels are gained?
Gecko
Storm Giant

Return to Apotheon