The cartography of Geoff Wingate aka Paul Ruiz

"The World of Pelinore is flat - everyone knows that…"
Post Reply
User avatar
PelinoreRevived
Lurker Above
Posts: 257
Joined: Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:22 pm
Gender: male
Location: West Jutland, Denmark

The cartography of Geoff Wingate aka Paul Ruiz

Post by PelinoreRevived » Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:21 pm

I have recently been inspired by the cartography of Paul Ruiz / Geoff Wingate (of Imagine's Nic Novice fame). Some of his cartography in Imagine and in TSR UKs UK series of modules are not only maps, but illustrations. I particlularly like the way that he uses different graphical projections to portray his subject.

For example, most cartography is done in orthographic projection where one sees only one plane of the object, such as a plan or elevation. Wingate uses orthographic projection to great effect in most City League cartography, where he provides a plan of the object and also elevations.

During the 1990s there was a trend, particularly in some of TSRs publications, to use isometric projection where the horizontal axes of the object are drawn at 30° angles and the vertical axis is drawn at a 90° angle from the bottom of the page. In isometric projection, all distances along the horizontal or vertical axes are true (ie. at scale 0.2" = 10' if you measure 0.2" on the paper along any of the axes then you are measuring a distance of 10').

Where Wingate's cartography is particularly interesting and different, he uses oblique projection (see the map of Lyndum in Imagine #9 for an example - see below. In this type of projection one, or both, of the horizontal axes of subjects are drawn at 45° from the bottom of the page. and the vertical axis may or may not true (ie. 0.2" = 10' along the horizontal axis, but may only equal 6' on the vertical).

Image

What really catches my eye is that he did not always ink all of the outlines of a particular face of a building (for example, at the corners comprising the junction between two walls). Furthermore, some of the detail of a building is implied rather than drawn. This omission of detail is not immediately obvious when looking at the maps, but is rather beautiful in its simplicity and results in elegant and uncluttered cartography.

I am going to include an article in issue #1 of PelinoreRevived expounding on the marvels of Wingate's cartography and illustration style, from my persepective as a reader not as an amateur art / cartography enthusiast. I might even make it a serial where I write about my favourite cartographers and illustrators in Imagine (or the 1980s as a whole - Russ Nicholson, anyone?).

What is more, I am going to try and emulate his style when I produce my cartography for PelinoreRevived. Obviously, I will never become as good as the master - but I like the effect and to me it's rather poetic, not to mention nostalgic, to attempt it. Below is a work in progress of what I have provisionally called "Temple Square" in the town of Hyrpum in north west Cerwyn. I produced this in adobe illustrator, as my hand drawing skills are somewhat pathetic. After the outlines are complete I'm going to print it out at 30% opacity and ink it by hand. Needless to say, there will be a few more buildings once it's complete and then I'll continue with further parts of the town in future issues.

Image
Last edited by PelinoreRevived on Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PelinoreRevived, the artist formerly known as KneverwinterKnight

User avatar
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster
Posts: 24988
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:52 pm
Gender: male
Location: London UK
Contact:

Re: The cartography of Geoff Wingate aka Paul Ruiz

Post by Big Mac » Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:26 pm

Are Paul Ruiz / Geoff Wingate still around? Do you think we could track him down and invite him to chat to the Pelinore fans here?
PelinoreRevived wrote:What is more, I am going to try and emulate his style when I produce my cartography for PelinoreRevived. Obviously, I will never become as good as the master - but I like the effect and to me it's rather poetic, not to mention nostalgic, to attempt it. Below is a work in progress of what I have provisionally called "Temple Square" in the town of Hyrpum in north west Cerwyn. I produced this in adobe illustrator, as my hand drawing skills are somewhat pathetic. After the outlines are complete I'm going to print it out at 30% opacity and ink it by hand. Needless to say, there will be a few more buildings once it's complete and then I'll continue with further parts of the town in future issues.

Image
Not much there so far, but from what I see, I'd say you have really captured the style! Nice work! :cool:

I've not done much hand drawing recently, but I have noticed with myself, that it is easier to draw curves from inside the circle than outside. So if I spin paper around, I can sometimes do a much better job of getting various rounded corners to be consistent. I'm not sure if that will help with your inking, but I'm guessing that, if everything is pre-printed, it would not matter if you were drawing lines upside-down or sideways (so long as you did not smudge things).
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

User avatar
ghendar
Cranky Grognard
Posts: 697
Joined: Thu May 22, 2008 8:11 pm
Gender: male
Location: 1e Saltmarsh. The real one.

Re: The cartography of Geoff Wingate aka Paul Ruiz

Post by ghendar » Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:42 pm

Best of luck. I LOVED the style of the maps in those UK modules. Just great stuff
Fifth registered member, bitches!

If the Unapproachable East was so unapproachable, how did anyone get there?

User avatar
PelinoreRevived
Lurker Above
Posts: 257
Joined: Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:22 pm
Gender: male
Location: West Jutland, Denmark

Re: The cartography of Geoff Wingate aka Paul Ruiz

Post by PelinoreRevived » Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:15 pm

Big Mac wrote:Are Paul Ruiz / Geoff Wingate still around? Do you think we could track him down and invite him to chat to the Pelinore fans here?
I actually contacted Geoff a long time ago to ask his permission to derive some work from his original maps. He was very enthusiastic in his response :D I will contact him again and ask what he thinks.
Big Mac wrote:Not much there so far, but from what I see, I'd say you have really captured the style! Nice work! :cool:

I've not done much hand drawing recently, but I have noticed with myself, that it is easier to draw curves from inside the circle than outside. So if I spin paper around, I can sometimes do a much better job of getting various rounded corners to be consistent. I'm not sure if that will help with your inking, but I'm guessing that, if everything is pre-printed, it would not matter if you were drawing lines upside-down or sideways (so long as you did not smudge things).
Thanks for the praise :D My hand drawing is okay if I have someting to trace, otherwise it takes me forever to achieve satisfactory results. The other advantage of doing it electronically is that I can offer the images as mapping resources, in the same manner that Thorf has done with his hex maps - either in Adobe Illustrator or Campaign Cartographer.
Ghendar wrote:Best of luck. I LOVED the style of the maps in those UK modules. Just great stuff
Thanks. Geoff's work is by far my favourite. I've noticed some cartography in Imagine that looks like his but doesn't carry the same quality. It seems to me that others have tried to copy his style too. I hope that my attempts are up to scratch / cut the mustard / insert cliche of your choice :P
PelinoreRevived, the artist formerly known as KneverwinterKnight

User avatar
PelinoreRevived
Lurker Above
Posts: 257
Joined: Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:22 pm
Gender: male
Location: West Jutland, Denmark

Re: The cartography of Geoff Wingate aka Paul Ruiz

Post by PelinoreRevived » Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:44 pm

PelinoreRevived wrote:I actually contacted Geoff a long time ago to ask his permission to derive some work from his original maps. He was very enthusiastic in his response :D I will contact him again and ask what he thinks.
The e-mail has been sent. Shall we all hold our breath?
PelinoreRevived, the artist formerly known as KneverwinterKnight

User avatar
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster
Posts: 24988
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:52 pm
Gender: male
Location: London UK
Contact:

Re: The cartography of Geoff Wingate aka Paul Ruiz

Post by Big Mac » Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:30 am

PelinoreRevived wrote:
Big Mac wrote:Not much there so far, but from what I see, I'd say you have really captured the style! Nice work! :cool:

I've not done much hand drawing recently, but I have noticed with myself, that it is easier to draw curves from inside the circle than outside. So if I spin paper around, I can sometimes do a much better job of getting various rounded corners to be consistent. I'm not sure if that will help with your inking, but I'm guessing that, if everything is pre-printed, it would not matter if you were drawing lines upside-down or sideways (so long as you did not smudge things).
Thanks for the praise :D My hand drawing is okay if I have someting to trace, otherwise it takes me forever to achieve satisfactory results. The other advantage of doing it electronically is that I can offer the images as mapping resources, in the same manner that Thorf has done with his hex maps - either in Adobe Illustrator or Campaign Cartographer.
I wonder if computers might allow you to build up a library of "generic" buildings and objects, so that you can put a few recycled objects onto new maps and finish those maps faster.
PelinoreRevived wrote:
PelinoreRevived wrote:I actually contacted Geoff a long time ago to ask his permission to derive some work from his original maps. He was very enthusiastic in his response :D I will contact him again and ask what he thinks.
The e-mail has been sent. Shall we all hold our breath?
Great. If Geoff is still doing RPG maps, it would be interested to see if any of his new stuff would fit into Pelinore.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

User avatar
PelinoreRevived
Lurker Above
Posts: 257
Joined: Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:22 pm
Gender: male
Location: West Jutland, Denmark

Re: The cartography of Geoff Wingate aka Paul Ruiz

Post by PelinoreRevived » Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:22 am

Big Mac wrote:I wonder if computers might allow you to build up a library of "generic" buildings and objects, so that you can put a few recycled objects onto new maps and finish those maps faster.
That's the plan, but it's going to take some time to build up that library in the beginning.
Big Mac wrote:Great. If Geoff is still doing RPG maps, it would be interested to see if any of his new stuff would fit into Pelinore.
I don't think he is. I've been having some correspondence with him over the last few days, but he diplomatically avoided my questions regarding participating in discussions at the Piazza or being interviewed for an article at PelinoreRevived - although he did say that I had his permission to use his cartography (though I'm still not sure if he is the rights holder or if he made an agreement to transfer ownership to the publishers when he created it).

However, he has told me all about his professional career as an architectural assistant and lecturer in the design department of a technical college. We talked a litle about the stresses our careers impose upon us and reflected on the glory days of thirty years ago when Pelinore was being produced at TSR UK.

He DID confirm that Geoff Wingate aka Paul Ruiz is the correct term. So that's cleared up one nagging doubt that I had.
PelinoreRevived, the artist formerly known as KneverwinterKnight

User avatar
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster
Posts: 24988
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:52 pm
Gender: male
Location: London UK
Contact:

Re: The cartography of Geoff Wingate aka Paul Ruiz

Post by Big Mac » Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:50 pm

PelinoreRevived wrote:
Big Mac wrote:Great. If Geoff is still doing RPG maps, it would be interested to see if any of his new stuff would fit into Pelinore.
I don't think he is. I've been having some correspondence with him over the last few days, but he diplomatically avoided my questions regarding participating in discussions at the Piazza or being interviewed for an article at PelinoreRevived - although he did say that I had his permission to use his cartography (though I'm still not sure if he is the rights holder or if he made an agreement to transfer ownership to the publishers when he created it).
It looks like Geoff Wingate also worked on a RPG called Dragon Warriors (unless there is another cartographer with the same name out there).

I've never heard about Dragon Warriors, but maybe the cartography is in the same style.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

User avatar
PelinoreRevived
Lurker Above
Posts: 257
Joined: Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:22 pm
Gender: male
Location: West Jutland, Denmark

Re: The cartography of Geoff Wingate aka Paul Ruiz

Post by PelinoreRevived » Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:47 pm

I remember Dragon warriors. We used to play it in my school's games club. It was rules light, if I recall correctly.

I just ordered it from Amazon and I fully intend to review it at pelinore.org in the future.
PelinoreRevived, the artist formerly known as KneverwinterKnight

User avatar
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster
Posts: 24988
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:52 pm
Gender: male
Location: London UK
Contact:

Re: The cartography of Geoff Wingate aka Paul Ruiz

Post by Big Mac » Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:53 am

PelinoreRevived wrote:I just ordered it from Amazon and I fully intend to review it at pelinore.org in the future.
Did Dragon Warriors arrive yet? What do you think of it? Are you doing a review? Is there anything in there that could be raided and use in Pelinore?

BTW: Do you think that Geoff has designed some real-world buildings (for his day job) that could be imported into Pelinore? :)
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

User avatar
PelinoreRevived
Lurker Above
Posts: 257
Joined: Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:22 pm
Gender: male
Location: West Jutland, Denmark

Re: The cartography of Geoff Wingate aka Paul Ruiz

Post by PelinoreRevived » Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:07 pm

Dragon Warriors arrived, or at least the first three paperbacks that I ordered did. It's a wonderfully simple system, but it does contain what I consider to be some flaws. I haven't really the time to do a review at the moment (I have recently been promoted to team lead at work for an understaffed department - I'm carrying all that extra workload until I can recruit some help).

It seems Geoff didn't do any cartography for the first three volumes. There are some short adventures that could be poked into the Pelinore setting. It may even be possible to dual stat some existing Pelinore Adventures for Dragon Warriors, but I wonder what the demand for that would be given the age and rarity of the system.

If I recall, Geoff teaches design now and hasn't worked in architecture directly for some decades. I wonder if he teaches fantasy cartography his students?
PelinoreRevived, the artist formerly known as KneverwinterKnight

User avatar
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster
Posts: 24988
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:52 pm
Gender: male
Location: London UK
Contact:

Re: The cartography of Geoff Wingate aka Paul Ruiz

Post by Big Mac » Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:47 pm

PelinoreRevived wrote:Dragon Warriors arrived, or at least the first three paperbacks that I ordered did. It's a wonderfully simple system, but it does contain what I consider to be some flaws. I haven't really the time to do a review at the moment (I have recently been promoted to team lead at work for an understaffed department - I'm carrying all that extra workload until I can recruit some help).
Good luck getting the new staff at work. I look forward to seeing some new pages on your website (or maybe seeing some of the old pages re-uploaded) when you have time.
PelinoreRevived wrote:It seems Geoff didn't do any cartography for the first three volumes. There are some short adventures that could be poked into the Pelinore setting. It may even be possible to dual stat some existing Pelinore Adventures for Dragon Warriors, but I wonder what the demand for that would be given the age and rarity of the system.
You are probably looking at this formula: niche x niche = uberniche ;)
PelinoreRevived wrote:If I recall, Geoff teaches design now and hasn't worked in architecture directly for some decades. I wonder if he teaches fantasy cartography his students?
I suppose that fantasy cartography could be a way to stretch the imagination. A lot of new buildings do impossible things.

I looked up Geoff Wingate on RPG Geek and they seem to be suggesting that he did art for AC9 Creature Catalogue, but I'm having trouble confirming that it is the same man and not someone else with the same name.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

User avatar
PelinoreRevived
Lurker Above
Posts: 257
Joined: Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:22 pm
Gender: male
Location: West Jutland, Denmark

Re: The cartography of Geoff Wingate aka Paul Ruiz

Post by PelinoreRevived » Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:16 pm

It looks like the same Geoff Wingate to me. He drew the borders around the full page illustrations that are at the beginning of each section in AC9, but none of the actual creature illustrations themesleves. Definitely his style.
PelinoreRevived, the artist formerly known as KneverwinterKnight

User avatar
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster
Posts: 24988
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:52 pm
Gender: male
Location: London UK
Contact:

Re: The cartography of Geoff Wingate aka Paul Ruiz

Post by Big Mac » Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:48 pm

I got pointed at a cartographic Kickstarter called Other World Mapper.

I've asked in their comments section if they can support the sort of cartography that Geoff Wingate used to do for Pelinore. If they can add this (maybe via a stretch goal) I think you might be able to design your individual buildings as SVG objects and then shuffle them around inside Other World Mapper to create different towns.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Post Reply

Return to “Pelinore”