How many Pelinore countries are there?

"The World of Pelinore is flat - everyone knows that…"
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

How many Pelinore countries are there?

Post by Big Mac » Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:42 am

I know that most of the Pelinore development was centred around one part of the flatworld, but how many countries or kingdoms actually got named in the products?

(I'm not talking about fully developed, so a mention that a country is on the other side of a border, or that someone comes from a faraway land, that is not specifically nailed down, would count.)
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

PelinoreRevived
Lurker Above

Re: How many Pelinore countries are there?

Post by PelinoreRevived » Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:30 pm

Thanks for asking, Big Mac.

The world map is hardly blessed with detail and most of it remains blank. As you rightly mention, most of the material describes a small part of the world - the County of Cerwyn and the City League. However, the Imagine Magazine Special Edition and then GMPubs went on to add more detail:
  • The Domains - most of the published material in Imagine or GMPubs is set in the Domains - it is comprised of The City League, the County of Cerwyn, the County of Bereduth, the Kingdom of Korrath, the Barony of Kalos, the Province Palatinate of Kosre, the Barony of Poritas and the Cammarus See.
  • There is also mention of another country, Heruvor, in an adventure called "Necklace of Lilith" (Imagine #20). Heruvor is supposedly located some distance from the City League, beyond the borders of the County of Bereduth.
  • Worldheart - supposed to be the center of the world that has never been seen by ordinary mortals and contains the Perfect Kingdoms.
  • Dontaldur - I'm not sure if this is a Kingdom or a Region, but it contains the Barony of Ironfist.
  • The Splintered Lands - a massive archipelago that spans hundreds of Leagues from the Domains to Dontaldur.
  • The Tradecities of Xir - very close to the Domains, not much is written about them except that their commercial might appears to be founded on slavery.
  • The Theocratic Principalities - an adventure was set here in GMPubs 3: In Search of New Gods. It is adjacent to the Domains and is the home of, as the name would suggest, a Theocracy. Imagine and GMPubs contradict each other as to whether the Theocracy is good or evil.
  • The Steppe Lands - another blank space on the Domains regional maps, supposedly populated by barbarian tribes.
  • Aurianne - a continent that was supposed left for the readers to populate.
Edit: added information about Heruvor.
PelinoreRevived, the artist formerly known as KneverwinterKnight

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:54 am

PelinoreRevived wrote:Thanks for asking, Big Mac.
Thanks Mr Revived. ;)

There is plenty I would like to know about Pelinore, but I'm not always sure what to ask, to be honest. :? :( I wish there were a few more people asking questions (ones that I've not thought about) so that I could learn what other people were trying to learn. :)
PelinoreRevived wrote:The world map is hardly blessed with detail and most of it remains blank. As you rightly mention, most of the material describes a small part of the world - the County of Cerwyn and the City League. However, the Imagine Magazine Special Edition and then GMPubs went on to add more detail:
Great! I knew that you would know about this stuff. I'm half-tempted to start threads about some of the places you mentioned. :)
PelinoreRevived wrote:
  • The Domains - most of the published material in Imagine or GMPubs is set in the Domains - it is comprised of The City League, the County of Cerwyn, the County of Bereduth, the Kingdom of Korrath, the Barony of Kalos, the Province Palatinate of Kosre, the Barony of Poritas and the Cammarus See.
We should probably have separate threads to discuss all of these places in The Domains. :twisted:
PelinoreRevived wrote:
  • There is also mention of another country, Heruvor, in an adventure called "Necklace of Lilith" (Imagine #20). Heruvor is supposedly located some distance from the City League, beyond the borders of the County of Bereduth.
Do they give a direction to Heruvor? Or would you infer a direction by looking at the location of the County of Bereduth, relative to the centre of The Domains?

Would you put Heruvor on the border of the County of Bereduth, or do you think there should be one or two other countries in between?
PelinoreRevived wrote:
  • Worldheart - supposed to be the center of the world that has never been seen by ordinary mortals and contains the Perfect Kingdoms.
We definately need a topic for Worldheart and/or the Perfect Kingdoms. It sounds like you are suggesting that the gods of Pelinore would live there (or at least that the people in The Domains believe something like that).
PelinoreRevived wrote:
  • Dontaldur - I'm not sure if this is a Kingdom or a Region, but it contains the Barony of Ironfist.
I wish we had one or two of the Pelinore designers on the forums (or that you could gain access to them to for an interview or two and put it onto your website). It would be great to be able to ask them questions like this.

How do the other Pelinore baronies work? Is there a pattern? Are they parts of kingdoms or regions?
PelinoreRevived wrote:
  • The Splintered Lands - a massive archipelago that spans hundreds of Leagues from the Domains to Dontaldur.
That sounds interesting. Is it one administrative unit? The "Splintered" in the name kind of implies that it might be something like an empire that broke up.
PelinoreRevived wrote:
  • The Tradecities of Xir - very close to the Domains, not much is written about them except that their commercial might appears to be founded on slavery.
Sounds like someone might have been building them up to become the "bad guys" for some adventures.
PelinoreRevived wrote:
  • The Theocratic Principalities - an adventure was set here in GMPubs 3: In Search of New Gods. It is adjacent to the Domains and is the home of, as the name would suggest, a Theocracy. Imagine and GMPubs contradict each other as to whether the Theocracy is good or evil.
The "good or evil" thing sounds like it could be turned into something fun (instead of a continuity error). I know that Jakandor was set up so that both races could think of the other race as "evil". Perhaps Imagine and GMPubs were written from "different points of view". There has to be a "Ben Kenobi solution" where both articles can be right somehow. :)
PelinoreRevived wrote:
  • The Steppe Lands - another blank space on the Domains regional maps, supposedly populated by barbarian tribes.
I think I recall seeing that on one of your maps. I suppose that the way to "fill" that sort of land, is to build nomadic tribes, rather than to build physical cities and towns. Have you looked at barbaric lands in other campaign settings to see how they do it?
PelinoreRevived wrote:
Have you ever seen anyone in the Pelinore fan community who has done any work on Aurianne?

I see someone called d6todamage, over at Front Page Warlock, who wrote a blog entry Blackmarsh for Warlock where he was talking about using Blackmarsh as the basis of Aurianne. Do you think that might be a good fit?

Do you think it would be worth trying to run a "Aurianne Project" at The Piazza, to see if you could get people here to collaborate on some ideas for countries that could be put together to build a map of Aurianne?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

PelinoreRevived
Lurker Above

Post by PelinoreRevived » Sun Feb 22, 2015 3:43 pm

Big Mac wrote:
PelinoreRevived wrote:
We should probably have separate threads to discuss all of these places in The Domains. :twisted:

That would be a good idea. Eventually I will have articles detailing what is already described in Imagine about some of these areas. Some of the articles might be short while others (detailing Cerwyn or the City League, for example) might be longer. My idea was tht each article would have a "discuss this article at the Piazza" button, linking to a thread here.
Big Mac wrote:
PelinoreRevived wrote:
Do they give a direction to Heruvor? Or would you infer a direction by looking at the location of the County of Bereduth, relative to the centre of The Domains?

Would you put Heruvor on the border of the County of Bereduth, or do you think there should be one or two other countries in between?
Apparently it is to the SW. I would place it on or near the border with Bereduth. Looking at the map in GM3 In Search of New Gods, there is an undetailed area between Bereduth and the Theocratic Principalities.
Big Mac wrote:
PelinoreRevived wrote:
We definately need a topic for Worldheart and/or the Perfect Kingdoms. It sounds like you are suggesting that the gods of Pelinore would live there (or at least that the people in The Domains believe something like that).
The power of Pelinore's gods wanes as you get closer to Worldheart, as does magic. It is supposed to be a place of pure balance. I imagine it to be quite a dull place.
Big Mac wrote:
PelinoreRevived wrote:
I wish we had one or two of the Pelinore designers on the forums (or that you could gain access to them to for an interview or two and put it onto your website). It would be great to be able to ask them questions like this.
I have the contact details for one of the artists and one of the writers. It's been a while since I've been in touch with them, though...
Big Mac wrote: How do the other Pelinore baronies work? Is there a pattern? Are they parts of kingdoms or regions?
There seems to be no rhyme nor reason to it. Some counties and baronies, such as those in the Domains, seem to be independent in their own right with no liege Lords to speak of. I would like to bring order to that particular chaos. For the Domains inparticular, I would make each Count or Baron beholden in some way to the Katar of the City League. I quite like the idea of recreating the Hanseatic League centred around the City League.
Big Mac wrote:
PelinoreRevived wrote:
That sounds interesting. Is it one administrative unit? The "Splintered" in the name kind of implies that it might be something like an empire that broke up.
Indeed. There is mention of a long vanished Empire Almete that spanned continents. I like the idea of some cataclysm occuring at the end of that Empire that in turn created the Splintered Lands.The Province Palatinate of Kosre in the Domains is said to be a remnant of the Empire Almete.
Big Mac wrote:
PelinoreRevived wrote:
Sounds like someone might have been building them up to become the "bad guys" for some adventures.
Could be. They are also powerful trading partners for the City League.
Big Mac wrote:
PelinoreRevived wrote:
The "good or evil" thing sounds like it could be turned into something fun (instead of a continuity error). I know that Jakandor was set up so that both races could think of the other race as "evil". Perhaps Imagine and GMPubs were written from "different points of view". There has to be a "Ben Kenobi solution" where both articles can be right somehow. :)
That's an interesting idea.
Big Mac wrote:
PelinoreRevived wrote:
I think I recall seeing that on one of your maps. I suppose that the way to "fill" that sort of land, is to build nomadic tribes, rather than to build physical cities and towns. Have you looked at barbaric lands in other campaign settings to see how they do it?
I always remember the barbarian tribes from Greyhawk. Something along that style might be good. There are a few mentions of the barbarians in various articles relating to Cerwyn. There is also an adventure in issue 3, I think it is, that was solely for barbarian characters. I could quite easily imagine that it could be set in the Steppe Lands.
Big Mac wrote:
PelinoreRevived wrote:
Have you ever seen anyone in the Pelinore fan community who has done any work on Aurianne?

I see someone called d6todamage, over at Front Page Warlock, who wrote a blog entry Blackmarsh for Warlock where he was talking about using Blackmarsh as the basis of Aurianne. Do you think that might be a good fit?

Do you think it would be worth trying to run a "Aurianne Project" at The Piazza, to see if you could get people here to collaborate on some ideas for countries that could be put together to build a map of Aurianne?
I've not seen much else in the way of fan material for Aurianne.A collaboration project might be a good way to go. Food for thought.
PelinoreRevived, the artist formerly known as KneverwinterKnight

Return to “Pelinore”