Registration at PelinoreRevived

"The World of Pelinore is flat - everyone knows that…"
Dave L
Storm Giant

Re: Is pelinore.org still maintained?

Post by Dave L »

Big Mac wrote:
Dave L wrote:I will download the pdf once I get on the desktop computer, it's good to know Bauvin is still out there. :)
I wonder if you would consider donating Bauvin to Pelinore Adventure Fanzine. :)
Thanks for the kind words about my maps. I got so much enjoyment out of creating them, but it always gives me a buzz when others like them too.

As for Bauvin, he wasn't my character to begin with, I was just privileged to walk with him for a while on his journey. It's always an honour to be asked to take on a character, and I did come very close to getting the poor guy killed, so I'm glad to see from the pdf that he is alive and well, and that his friendship with Letizia continues, and that she has reached the heady position of mayor of Hyrpum. Hopefully with the two of them working together, the town might recover some of its past glory. :)

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac »

Dave L wrote:
Big Mac wrote:
Dave L wrote:I will download the pdf once I get on the desktop computer, it's good to know Bauvin is still out there. :)
I wonder if you would consider donating Bauvin to Pelinore Adventure Fanzine. :)
Thanks for the kind words about my maps. I got so much enjoyment out of creating them, but it always gives me a buzz when others like them too.
It wasn't just that you made maps. It was that there would be a conversation going on and then - bam! - you would drop down a map, and someone would say something about it and - bam! - you would post a modified version.
Dave L wrote:As for Bauvin, he wasn't my character to begin with, I was just privileged to walk with him for a while on his journey. It's always an honour to be asked to take on a character, and I did come very close to getting the poor guy killed, so I'm glad to see from the pdf that he is alive and well, and that his friendship with Letizia continues, and that she has reached the heady position of mayor of Hyrpum. Hopefully with the two of them working together, the town might recover some of its past glory. :)
I guess you do not "own" Bauvin then. It is a shame that game stuff got lost. It would have been nice to have some some of it (if not all of it) go up on pelinore.org.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Dave L
Storm Giant

Post by Dave L »

Big Mac wrote:It wasn't just that you made maps. It was that there would be a conversation going on and then - bam! - you would drop down a map, and someone would say something about it and - bam! - you would post a modified version.
Ah well, when you are lazy you tend to look for the quickest way to do something. ;)

I'm not saying it was no effort, but relatively speaking the maps I make aren't massively complicated to produce.

The Wilderlands maps are a case in point. I finished number 17 today, and then after lunch started on 18, which I have just posted.

Yeah, okay, my shoulder is aching now after all the mouse action - but that's old age creeping up on me, and a residue from one of the issues that stopped me finishing the maps back in 2010. Compared to what it used to be, I hardly even notice this.

Admittedly, I am a perfectionist of sorts, and if someone spots a mistake or an omission, or has a way the map could look even better - well, let's get it fixed! The advantage of how I make the maps is that changes are mostly easy to implement as well. :)

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac »

Dave L wrote:
Big Mac wrote:It wasn't just that you made maps. It was that there would be a conversation going on and then - bam! - you would drop down a map, and someone would say something about it and - bam! - you would post a modified version.
Ah well, when you are lazy you tend to look for the quickest way to do something. ;)

I'm not saying it was no effort, but relatively speaking the maps I make aren't massively complicated to produce.
Well, this is one of the things I find exciting about your mapping. And I'm not saying it is no effort either, but if someone spends weeks making a map and then posts it, it is kind of a done-deal. You kind of make your maps feel like a conversation, because, as people talk, the map sometimes develops along with the topic. :cool:
Dave L wrote:The Wilderlands maps are a case in point. I finished number 17 today, and then after lunch started on 18, which I have just posted.
Do you have a topic (or topics) in the Wilderlands forum about your maps?
Dave L wrote:Yeah, okay, my shoulder is aching now after all the mouse action - but that's old age creeping up on me, and a residue from one of the issues that stopped me finishing the maps back in 2010. Compared to what it used to be, I hardly even notice this.
I'm glad you are back with the maps. I hope that your shoulder gives you even less trouble in the future.
Dave L wrote:Admittedly, I am a perfectionist of sorts, and if someone spots a mistake or an omission, or has a way the map could look even better - well, let's get it fixed! The advantage of how I make the maps is that changes are mostly easy to implement as well. :)
It sounds to me that, if you worked with a team of people who were designing something (like fanon for a campaign setting or homebrew) and you bounced maps at them, at the same time they bounced ideas for new locations around, that you could help them rapidly flesh out an area that they were working on.

I said before that I would love to see you do more Pelinore maps, but I'd love to see you do maps for anything else too. Watching you tweak maps is a lot of fun.
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Dave L
Storm Giant

Post by Dave L »

Big Mac wrote:It sounds to me that, if you worked with a team of people who were designing something (like fanon for a campaign setting or homebrew) and you bounced maps at them, at the same time they bounced ideas for new locations around, that you could help them rapidly flesh out an area that they were working on.

I said before that I would love to see you do more Pelinore maps, but I'd love to see you do maps for anything else too. Watching you tweak maps is a lot of fun.
Oh yeah, that would be a dream scenario for me. Other people working out what they wanted to see on a map, to fit in with the stories they wanted to tell, and me trying to turn that vision in their head into something other people can look at too, so that the stories become a little more real to them.

As for the Wilderlands maps, there is indeed a thread in the Wilderlands forum called "Wilderlands Maps". There's a little (well, quite big) surprise I've posted there too - I'll let you wander over and find it for yourself. ;)

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac »

Dave L wrote:
Big Mac wrote:It sounds to me that, if you worked with a team of people who were designing something (like fanon for a campaign setting or homebrew) and you bounced maps at them, at the same time they bounced ideas for new locations around, that you could help them rapidly flesh out an area that they were working on.

Oh yeah, that would be a dream scenario for me. Other people working out what they wanted to see on a map, to fit in with the stories they wanted to tell, and me trying to turn that vision in their head into something other people can look at too, so that the stories become a little more real to them.
It sounds a bit tricky to me. But if you could do that, it would be awesome.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

PelinoreRevived! offline :-(

Post by Big Mac »

I'm getting this error message from PelinoreRevived!:
PelinoreRevived! website wrote:PelinoreRevived!

This site is down for maintenance.
Please check back again soon.

PelinoreRevived
Lurker Above

Re: PelinoreRevived! offline :-(

Post by PelinoreRevived »

I'm awfully sorry about that. I'm working on the website right now and it will be back on line at the end of August.
PelinoreRevived, the artist formerly known as KneverwinterKnight

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac »

PelinoreRevived wrote:I'm awfully sorry about that. I'm working on the website right now and it will be back on line at the end of August.
Thanks for the update.

PelinoreRevived
Lurker Above

Big Mac wrote: I really liked that stuff that you pulled down. I do wish you had not taken it down. Even if you build new improved versions later, I think there might be some value to fans from older versions.
It would seem that the good old Wayback Machine has saved some of the old content. It didn't archive all of it, especially the stuff that I really wanted on religious orders, but nevertheless I think that I might be able to rebuild most of the old content.

Pelinore on the Wayback Machine

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac »

PelinoreRevived wrote:
Big Mac wrote: I really liked that stuff that you pulled down. I do wish you had not taken it down. Even if you build new improved versions later, I think there might be some value to fans from older versions.
It would seem that the good old Wayback Machine has saved some of the old content. It didn't archive all of it, especially the stuff that I really wanted on religious orders, but nevertheless I think that I might be able to rebuild most of the old content.

It looks like there is stuff all the way back to 2010, but 2013 is one of the best eras (for volume of good-quality stuff). :)

PelinoreRevived
Lurker Above

Permanent closure of pelinore.org

Dear All,

It is with a heavy heart that I must make this announcement.

I have recently obtained new employment that will take me away from home on a frequent basis. Coupled with changing circumstances on the home front, this means that I no longer have the time to spare on maintaining pelinore.org which, including domain and hosting costs, was also proving to be a drain on my family finances.

Therefore, the website (which has been closed for maintainance for some time anyway) and the domain name pelinore.org will close down permanently from 8 October.

The good news is that I still have a huge interest in Pelinore and a lot of content to share. The aforementioned content will be shared in this forum and via google docs.

I will continue to use the facebook page https://www.facebook.com/PelinoreRevived for announcements and general Pelinore related chit chat.

I would like to thank everyone who has taken an interest in pelinore.org and offer my sincerest apologies to anyone who will miss it.

Kindest regards,

Grant Hewitt aka PelinoreRevived

PelinoreRevived
Lurker Above

PelinoreRevived
Lurker Above

DMMike
Orc

Re: Permanent closure of pelinore.org

Post by DMMike »

Aw crap! I'm just now getting the Save or Die crew interested in reviewing this setting. :(

Have you considered asking for fan donations to keep the domain/site running? As you note, time to update would still be a factor..but it would still exist?

Mike

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard »

That is very unfortunate. It would be very useful if the site could at least be preserved somewhere...

BTW, I am unable to access the site now as well. Is anyone else having this problem?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac »

I'm really sorry to hear that...

...but I'm also glad that you are going to keep the content (or as much of it as possible).

Have you considered switching to a semi-regular blog, on a free blogging website (like Blogger or Wordpress)? Havard has some pretty cool content up on his Blackmoor Blog. I'm pretty sure you can add things like tags to articles, to make them searchable. So you could have a similar amount of information to your website, without the cost and without a need to try to build a large range of navigation pages to surround the content.

BTW: Congratulations on the new job. I hope you have a lot of fun doing it.

PelinoreRevived
Lurker Above

DMMike wrote:Aw crap! I'm just now getting the Save or Die crew interested in reviewing this setting. :(
Hey Mike, don't despair. There is still a lot of material on Pelinore in this thread for the Save or Die crew to review. In particular, you might take a look at Phil Gyford's website and Scot Hoover's Collected Pelinore.
DMMike wrote:Have you considered asking for fan donations to keep the domain/site running? As you note, time to update would still be a factor..but it would still exist?
I thought about this, but the difficulty is more with time. I would feel bad about collecting fan donations and then not keeping the site updated.
Havard wrote:That is very unfortunate. It would be very useful if the site could at least be preserved somewhere...

BTW, I am unable to access the site now as well. Is anyone else having this problem?

-Havard
It would seem that the good old Wayback Machine has saved some of the old content.

The pelinore.org site has been down for some time while I tried to restructure and update the content (I'm my own worse critic and was never happy with what I put in there). I just received a domain name renewal notice and I thought that it was a waste to keep paying for something that I rarely update, so I've let the webhost know that I don't want to renew the subscription. Again, the problem is time - if I had the time to at least update once a month then I would have kept it going.
Big Mac wrote:I'm really sorry to hear that...

...but I'm also glad that you are going to keep the content (or as much of it as possible).

Have you considered switching to a semi-regular blog, on a free blogging website (like Blogger or Wordpress)? Havard has some pretty cool content up on his Blackmoor Blog. I'm pretty sure you can add things like tags to articles, to make them searchable. So you could have a similar amount of information to your website, without the cost and without a need to try to build a large range of navigation pages to surround the content.

Yup. I've got all of the content here on my computer.

The blog idea is worth looking at, but in the short term I'm just as happy posting here on the Piazza :D

Thanks for the congrats. The job is going to be fun - I'm going to be reunited with a lot of old colleagues from earlier employment. The only downside is that I will have to be in Hamburg 4 days a week doing it, but if I want to build offshore wind farms and change the world then I have to accept that I'm going to have to travel to do it.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac »

PelinoreRevived wrote:
Big Mac wrote:I'm really sorry to hear that...

Yup. I've got all of the content here on my computer.

The blog idea is worth looking at, but in the short term I'm just as happy posting here on the Piazza :D
Maybe you could repost some of the PelinoreRevived content here, instead of linking to it on Google Docs. :)
PelinoreRevived wrote:Thanks for the congrats. The job is going to be fun - I'm going to be reunited with a lot of old colleagues from earlier employment. The only downside is that I will have to be in Hamburg 4 days a week doing it, but if I want to build offshore wind farms and change the world then I have to accept that I'm going to have to travel to do it.
That's a really cool thing to be doing. I really like renewable energy. I have solar panels on the roof of my house, so I live in a power station. ;)

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard »

Great news! PelinoreRevived and I are working to repost all of the material from Pelinore.org here on The Piazza. In the future more material may be added here as well. Stay tuned! :)

Go Here For the Files!

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Return to “Pelinore”