[Pelinore.org] Duchy of Lygol Campaign

"The World of Pelinore is flat - everyone knows that…"
Havard
Dragon Turtle

[Pelinore.org] Duchy of Lygol Campaign

Post by Havard »

The Duchy of Lygol Campaign
Pelonore.org wrote: From the pen of Benvecula Scristos, Rotemaster of Heralds recording at the Court of Flavus d’Erebia Gore Barnabus Micreta the Usurper, First Duke of Lygol, Twenty Fourth Count of Cerwyn, Count of Bereduth, Baron of Kalos and Steward of the Mines, this day of Midsummer’s Eve, the 1st day of the 1st year of the Duchy (the 331st year of the County of Cerwyn).

"So it is accomplished. Today marks the self coronation of Flavus Barnabus the Usurper as the First Duke of Lygol, following a campaign of political manoeuvre, assassination and conquest that has spanned the previous twenty years. Flavus Barnabus has claimed the titles of the County of Bereduth and the Barony of Kalos; and named his demesne the Duchy of Lygol. The Duchy has been born of blood, ripped from the belly of its dying mother state – the County of Cerwyn – and is mewling like a new born child for the nursing of its surrogate mother – the City League.

For, indeed, but for the political and material support of the Katar of that great city, it would not have been possible for the Duke to have achieved his title. Nevertheless, the Katar’s support has come at a price: the agriculture of the County is in ruins; famine and disease are rife; and the silver mines of Osport have been exhausted of their richness. It must be said, however, that the Katar has awoken a sleeping dragon: the Duke is greedy and still even more ambitious. He has ordered the miners at Osport to dig deeper in search of new veins in the silver mines, he has increased taxes on his already impoverished subjects, he demands more tithes from his vassal fiefs and he hungrily turns his eyes on the coffers of the Katar himself. The Katar must suspect that the Duke intends to besiege the City. The Duke has committed what little remains of the wealth of his domain to the retention of humanoid mercenaries from the surrounding wildernesses and the Katar has ordered that the gates of the City are barred both against a steady stream of refugees and the impending onslaught of the Duchy of Lygol."

This game will be set in the Pelinore campaign setting.

The campaign setting named Pelinore made its first official ‘named’ appearance in issue #16 of TSR UK Ltd’s Imagine Magazine, which was published in July 1984, and continued in every issue until Imagine Magazine was discontinued in September 1985. Mini-modules located in the setting appeared in earlier editions of Imagine Magazine, such as ‘The Beacon at Enon-Tor’ that appeared in issue #1 (published in April 1983). These mini-modules were collected and re-printed in a special edition of Imagine Magazine in 1984, and the special edition was also devoted to (and included further information about) the Pelinore campaign setting.

Moreover, following the demise of Imagine Magazine, former staff members continued to publish material pertaining to Pelinore in GameMaster Publications issues GM1 to GM5. It is unfortunate that I was not able to buy these publications; probably a side effect of having grown up in one of the UK’s many rural backwaters where they were not readily available.

To me and my gaming friends, Pelinore was a unique setting that offered great potential. Centred on ‘The City League’ and it’s neighbouring ‘Domains’, the published material was well detailed whilst also sufficiently vague, and included enough blank spaces for development by the imaginative DM. Many playing hours ensued, resulting in cherished memories of a particular location or non-player character.

This game will be using the Pelinore setting, moving the timeline along 25 years (roughly the same amount of time that has passed since the last publication of Imagine Magazine). I must stress, however, that I will not be providing links to pdf versions of the previously printed material, nor will anything that I present be a copy of that material. That said, I will be redrawing some of the maps and reproducing some information in a revised, possibly expanded (or, where appropriate, abbreviated) form, but only to the extent that it is relevant to the updated background, geography, plotlines and modules that I will be presenting.

Rulebooks and House Rules

This game will use the Advanced Dungeons and Dragons rules (1st Edition), with the following rulebooks:
  • Players' Handbook (PHB)
  • Unearthed Arcana (UA)
  • Dungeonmaster's Guide (DMG)
  • Monster Manual (MM)
  • Fiend Folio (FF)
  • Monster Manual II (MMII)
To begin with we will play strictly by the book. House rules may be introduced (particularly if such appears in Imagine or GM1 to GM5) as the game progresses and these will be updated in a thread.

Time Zones and Posting Frequency

I live in Europe, therefore most posts will be made after 18:00h Central European Time on weekdays and after 12:00noon at weekends. However, due to work and family commitments there may be occasions when I will be unable to post. I will advise if there may be periods when I am unable to post and, out of courtesy to other members of this game, I would ask that you kindly do the same. That said, I may be able to post on a more frequent basis if the pace of the game demands it.

Minimum Posting Frequency is one IN CHARACTER post every two days.
CAMPAIGN INDEX: Other References Back to Master Index

-Havard
Last edited by Havard on Tue Dec 01, 2015 5:05 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

PelinoreRevived
Lurker Above

Re: [Pelinore.org] Duchy of Lygol Campaign

Post by PelinoreRevived »

I wish that I had downloaded more of the threads from this game before it was deleted. Maybe I'll start another :roll:
PelinoreRevived, the artist formerly known as KneverwinterKnight

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Re: [Pelinore.org] Duchy of Lygol Campaign

Post by Havard »

PelinoreRevived wrote:I wish that I had downloaded more of the threads from this game before it was deleted.
I have now uploaded all the information I have found for this campaign. See the links in the first post above.

Maybe I'll start another :roll:
That would be cool. Run one here at the Piazza! :)

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Return to “Pelinore”