Havard
Dragon Turtle

[Peliniore.org] [DoL] Dorian Greenleaf's Backstory

Post by Havard »

The Duchy of Lygol Campaign - Dorian Greenleaf's Backstory Part One
The day of Lian in the Second Week of Harvest, Year 330 Cerwyn Reckoning

Arncastle Woods

Message #1
Dorian Greenleaf's Backstory Thread by Ben Scristos (GM)
Rotemaster of Heralds,
Sun, 08 Aug 2010 14:16:15 GMT

Out of Character: we need to get you to Borth from the Arncastle Woods. Let me just add the rest of your animal companions and we can start.

You can now post also as Ash, Oak, Yew or Buttercup. Character sheets are ready for you to edit.

This message was last edited by the GM at 15:30, Sun 08 Aug.

Message #2
Re: Dorian Greenleaf's Backstory Thread by Dorian Greenleaf
Killer Halfling of DOOM!!,
Sun, 08 Aug 2010 14:36:39 GMT

OOC:
I've noticed and updated thier character sheet, with a short dewcription and a picture.

This message was last edited by the player at 15:36, Sun 08 Aug.

Message #3
Re: Dorian Greenleaf's Backstory Thread by Ben Scristos (GM)
Rotemaster of Heralds,
Sun, 08 Aug 2010 19:21:09 GMT

Dorian is originally from a small halfling community in Arncastle.
He grew up daydreaming and spending more time with the family animals
or running in the nearby Arncastle Woods. He often ended up in trouble, but
was also very liked by the community for his great skills with animals.

As it should occur, on one such outing he got himself in trouble...the bear
type of trouble, if it weren't for Elian -a half-elf fighter/druid- he would
have been dead. Elian noticing the sparkle in the little one's eye took him
as his apprentice -with the blessing of the Arncastle wood's Druids.

Elian summons Dorian to the grove....

Message #4
Sun, 08 Aug 2010 19:33:12 GMT

Upon receiving the summoning, Dorian finished taking care of his dogs and then quickly cleaned himself, making sure he was somewhat presentable and then made his way to the grove.

Along the way he looked around, enjoying the bird's song, the chittering of the squirrels and the wind blowing through the leaves...'Shame I can't enjoy it as much as I would like' he thought.

As soon as he arrived he went to see Elian: "You asked to see me?"

Message #5
Re: Dorian Greenleaf's Backstory Thread by Elian (NPC)
Initiate of 4th Circle, Arncastle Druids
Sun, 08 Aug 2010 19:34:14 GMT

OOC: It is dusk and Elian is performing a ceremony in the grove, giving thanks to the Green Man for the blessings of the day, even though recent times have seen much trouble in the Arncastle Woods. The famine, disease and war that have plagued the County of Cerwyn have not left the Woods untouched. Much of the flora and fauna of the woods has delined or died away. Recently, humanoids bearing the Cerwyn coat of arms have been seen marching West to the County.

OOC: Elian completes his ceremony and turns to you. His face a mask of concern.

Young Greenleaf! How fares it with our newest Aspirant today? Did you find that sick badger I told you about? Although the greeting is cheerful, Elian's eyes betray him.

Message #6
Sun, 08 Aug 2010 20:25:26 GMT

"All in all, everything is going well I would say." He replies. "And yes I did find that sick badger, he still had a lot of fight in him, but I managed to convince him I was there to help and he is recovering quickly. He should be back to it's old antics in a day or two." He replies, not daring to ask the question that needed to be asked.

Message #7
Sun, 08 Aug 2010 20:35:06 GMT

"There is something that troubles us, Dorian." His use of your first name surprises you. He has always called you 'Young Greenleaf' or 'Greenleaf' if you're in hot water. Elian indicates some grassy tussocks at the edge of the grove and invites you to sit with a wave of his hand. He sits, but you decline, all the better to be able to look him in the eye. This has always been the way between you and Elian.

Message #8
Sun, 08 Aug 2010 20:39:46 GMT

"By the sound of it, I'll bet a weeks worth of beer for a dwarf that we're not talking about the usual trouble that plagues us here." He states after his Mentor had taken his seat.

"So, what kind of trouble are we talking here and how may I be of help?" he asks.

Message #9
Sun, 08 Aug 2010 20:52:19 GMT

"Hmmm, indeed not," he smiles ruefully, "I don't have to tell you about the troubles we've had recently." He hangs his head and hesitates before looking you straight in the eye. Here it comes. You can feel every heartbeat in your ears and your toes. You've never seen Elian this way before.

"The Druid of Arncastle travelled to a convocation with the Grand Druid in the Barony of Poritas, across the Lygol Straits. We've heard from the Circle in Poritas. He didn't arrive."

He doesn't shift his gaze from your eye. You feel like he is looking into your very soul. "Since then we have sent out the eagles. The report is that he didn't get further than the fishing town of Borth." He lowers himself to his knees and takes your hands. "Without the Grand Druid, we'll never defend these woods from the afflictions that plague us. We're hard pressed as it is. We need you to go to Borth and find out what happened."

Message #10
Sun, 08 Aug 2010 20:57:32 GMT

In life there was bad news and there was news that makde a sledgehammer hit square in the forehead actually sounding fun.

This was the sledgehammer type of news. "This is dire news indeed. I will pack up my gear and leave first thing in the morning." He states. "Is there anythnig else?" he asks.

Message #11
Sun, 08 Aug 2010 21:10:15 GMT

"Thank you, Dorian, I can say no more than we wish it wasn't you that had to make this journey; but we know you are capable and willing." He looks at you kindly. "Take good care. The disease we have seen is nothing compared to the plague that affects Cerwyn. You must protect yourself from this plague and keep away from civilization. Take the country ways. It's more direct that way, at any rate."

He reaches into the sleeve of his robe and pulls out a glass phial. "We don't know if this will be of any use. It's a potion of sweet water. From what we're told, the plague is magical, but you never know." Again he smiles at you ruefully and nods. "Go now, rest, you have a long journey ahead of you."

Message #12
Mon, 09 Aug 2010 11:45:46 GMT

Carefully taking the phial and putting in into is belt pouch: "Thank you, I will do everything in my power to see this to it's completion." he offers.

With this he waits a few seconds then bow and take his leave.

Message #13
Rotemaster of Heralds,
Mon, 09 Aug 2010 18:28:35 GMT

After your meeting with Elian you have a simple meal and retire to your bower. Your sleep, however, is restless and you awake in a cold sweat. The memory of a nightmare is fading fast, but you remember something about the Druid of Arncastle in a struggle with an enormous black bear. A black bear with dead eyes and wasps in its mouth. As if the image wasn't bad enough, the sound will haunt you for your entire journey. The silence in your nightmare was deafening, but punctuated with a persistent buzzing that sounded like it came from the bottom of a well.

You wash and eat breakfast. The dogs gnaw on the bones of a wild boar that knew it's place in the circle of life. The sun is barely over the horizon and you set off on your trip.

OOC: I see you have a good weight of gear, could you let me know what Buttercup is carrying, or if it's easier, what Dorian is carrying?

This message was last edited by the GM at 22:17, Mon 09 Aug.

Message #14
Mon, 09 Aug 2010 21:53:25 GMT

OOC:
This is always on me:
2 gold piece and the 3 silver
Leather armour
Small wooden shield
Scimitar
Sling & 32 bullet
Belt
Cloak
2 large belt pouch
1 Lb of mistletoe

This is usually on my pony (unless stated otherwise):
money:
Backpack:
Hooded lantern
3 flask of oil
50' of rope
waterskin
Tinder box with flint & steel
2 week of iron ration
Leather scrollcase
potion of sweet water

Once the dogs are ready and thep ony packs and everything thoroughly check, Dorian saddles up and starts his long journey to his destiny...and the beginning of the future of his Enclave.

This message was last edited by the player at 22:53, Mon 09 Aug.

The day of Avann in the Second Week of Harvest, Year 330 Cerwyn Reckoning
Arncastle Woods

Message #15
Rotemaster of Heralds,
Thur, 12 Aug 2010 18:03:31 GMT

You set out in a North Westerly direction, hoping that you will reach the edge of the wilderness at the border with Cerwyn by the end of the first day of travel. It is Autumn and the leaves and grasses, already scorched yellow by the unnaturally warm summer just passed, are withering and dying. To the North you see the Caerns, an ancient burial site of the almost forgotten Almete Empire. Very few living things dare travel there, it is rumoured that it is haunted by the shades of long forgotten Kings.

By midday you venture from under the eaves of the Arncastle Woods. Knowing that there are few places to cross the wide and fast flowing River Lygol, you strike out towards Newvines, one of the vinyard villages on the river between High Lygol and the City League. Perhaps you can catch a ride on one of the many boats that are bound to be traversing the river without having to enter the village itself. It will take 3 days travel to get to Newvines.

By late evening you enter Cerwyn proper.

This message was last edited by the GM at 22:23, Thu 12 Aug.

Message #16
Thur, 12 Aug 2010 21:25:42 GMT

Going as fast as he could, all while taking care of not over exerting either the dogs or his pony, Dorian makes his way along to Newvine.

When the time comes...say about 1 hour before sundown he looks for a good spot to rest and gather some wood for a small fire and some well deserve rest.

This message was last edited by the player at 23:00, Thu 12 Aug.

Message #17
Rotemaster of Heralds,
Thur, 12 Aug 2010 21:40:30 GMT

At the end of the day you get to here:

This message was last edited by the GM at 22:42, Thu 12 Aug.

Message #18
Fri, 13 Aug 2010 21:13:09 GMT

Essentially this is how camp will be setr up:

BEDROLL
(10') Pony
Fi tied
re

And the dogs standing about close-by.

Message #19
Rotemaster of Heralds,
Fri, 13 Aug 2010 21:34:53 GMT

The flames of your campfire flicker and gutter in the late autumn wind, but it keeps you warm as you roll yourself up in your cloak and try to get some rest. Ash, Oak and Yew sleep not far away, occasionally their legs kick and they growl as they chase rabbits in their dreams.

The night passes without incident, although your dreams are just as disturbed as they were on the previous night. You wake in the morning, not exactly refreshed, but prepared for another day's treck towards Newvines.

This land that you travel through used to be pasture. You remember,when you were younger, that you would help the shepherds and cattled herders care for their beasts. No evidence of them remains now, the once verdant pasture is now gripped by pestilence, the area seems deserted.

You eat breakfast and steel yourself for another day of travel.

This message was last edited by the GM at 23:36, Fri 13 Aug.

The day of Movenlidreth in the Second Week of Harvest, Year 330 Cerwyn Reckoning

Cerwyn's Eastern Border

Message #20
Rotemaster of Heralds,
Fri, 13 Aug 2010 22:35:58 GMT

After another tiring day of travel, without meeting a living soul, you begin to wonder if you haven't got lost and are wandering around in circles. The sun is setting, casting an eerie blood red glow on the landscape.

In the distance, some 600 yards away, you see some humanoid figures carefully approaching a sleeping figure lying under the shade of a withered tree.

Message #21
Sat, 14 Aug 2010 15:06:14 GMT

Getting of the pony, Dorian draw his scimitar.

He quickly give the comand to his dogs to remain silent and quietly approches while leading the poney with his free hand...keeping an eye on the approching figure.

Message #22
Rotemaster of Heralds,
Sun, 15 Aug 2010 16:35:34 GMT

From 600 yards away, it is difficult to make out who (or what) the humanoids might be. The sleeping figure hasn't noticed their approach. There are four humanoids, about 200 yards from the sleeping figure.

OOC: just waiting for another PC response before I resolve any surprise rolls.

Message #23
Rotemaster of Heralds,
Wed, 18 Aug 2010 18:52:33 GMT

OOC: The other player hasn't logged on since Friday last week. I have sent him an rMail asking if he's still interested...

IC: The sleeping figure doesn't seem to have noticed that he or she is in danger. The orcs approach with the stealth of a cat, their progress slow and careful, they have weapons drawn. As you approach (one round at 12" means you are now 480 yards away from the sleeping figure, one round at 6" - due to their attempts at stealth - brings the orc to within 140 yards) you see that the orcs are bearing shields with the livery of the Duke of Lygol. You heard that the Duke had hired humanoid mercenaries to fight in his war with the neighbouring Barony of Kalos, but did not dare believe it to be true.

Message #24
Wed, 18 Aug 2010 19:09:55 GMT

Dorian birlefly poundered about it.

1) They were representative of the crown...even if only as mercenary, however
2) their action were not in accordance to the balance -hunting was a thing, killing a halpless prey another.

The young halfling keeps moving forwards nad try to put himself and his dogs in a good striking position from the rear-flank.

Message #25
Rotemaster of Heralds,
Wed, 18 Aug 2010 19:44:53 GMT

The orcs stop just short of their quarry and watch, seemingly undecided as to how to proceed. You feel that they experience a small amount of fear of this prey.

Their hesitation gives you enough time to approach within a hundred yards. You have not gone completely unnoticed, as you get closer the dogs' whines and growls are detected by the orcs.

OOC: the orcs will be surprised on a roll of 1-3 on 1d6.

21:41, Today: Secret Roll: Ben Scristos rolled 2 using 1d6. orcs, surprise.

You and your dogs have a free action. You can close in this round and attack in the next round.

This message was last edited by the GM at 21:29, Wed 18 Aug.

Message #26
Thur, 19 Aug 2010 18:11:13 GMT

If possible Dorian will try to charge in and attack this turn, if not he will move in to engage them next turn.

Message #27
Rotemaster of Heralds,
Thur, 19 Aug 2010 20:18:57 GMT

Seeing their Master's intention, Dorian's guard dogs charge ahead to attack the orcs. The orcs turn in surprise, but too late before the dogs leap at them...

22:00, Today: Secret Roll: Ben Scristos rolled 3,4,11 using d20+2,d20+2,d20+2 with rolls of 1,2,9. dogs charging orcs.

Two of the dogs leap on an orc each, but their bites fail to penetrate the orcs' armour. However, Ash latches onto the throat of one orc...

22:06, Today: Ben Scristos, on behalf of Ash, rolled 6 using 2d4. bite damage. The orc growls and struggles against the killer grip of Ash's bite, but he soon gives up the struggle and expires.

Dorian soon catches up with the action and swings his scimitar at the remaining surprised orc...

22:09, Today: Secret Roll: Ben Scristos, on behalf of Dorian Greenleaf, rolled 5 using 1d20+2. attack orc.

... but the attack is ineffective.

The orcs, weapons already drawn, spring to attack
22:12, Today: Secret Roll: Ben Scristos rolled 3 using 1d6. orcs initiative.

The sleeping figure, a fighting human woman (also wearing the livery of the Count of Cerwyn), leaps up to attack one of the orcs
22:15, Today: Secret Roll: Ben Scristos, on behalf of Letizia, rolled 6 using 1d6. initiative.

What does Dorian want to do next? Declare and roll for initiative... if you choose to attack make an attack roll and a damage roll (in case he is succesful).

Message #28
Rotemaster of Heralds,
Thur, 19 Aug 2010 20:30:01 GMT

Before anyone can act, the woman springs up and severs the head of one of the orcs....

22:15, Today: Secret Roll: Ben Scristos, on behalf of Letizia, rolled 6 using 1d6. initiative.
22:12, Today: Secret Roll: Ben Scristos rolled 3 using 1d6. orcs initiative.

22:27, Today: Secret Roll: Ben Scristos, on behalf of Letizia, rolled 16 using 2d8+3. longsword crit hit damage.
22:26, Today: Secret Roll: Ben Scristos, on behalf of Letizia, rolled 23 using 1d20+3. attack vs studded leather (+0) spec (+3).

Message #29
Thur, 19 Aug 2010 22:03:19 GMT

Well not one to back away from a fight Dorian swings at the orc in front of him and...

18:00, Today: Secret Roll: Dorian Greenleaf rolled 5 using 1d6. initiative.
18:00, Today: Secret Roll: Dorian Greenleaf rolled 12 using 1d20. attack roll.
18:01, Today: Secret Roll: Dorian Greenleaf rolled 7 using 1d8. damage. (if I hit)

Message #30
Rotemaster of Heralds,
Thur, 19 Aug 2010 22:15:02 GMT

The dogs fall upon the final orc and finish him off. When the job is complete they trot to Dorian, panting. They look at you for water, apparently orc tastes bad...

The woman looks at your water bottle thirstily. She is incredibly beautiful, for a human, dressed in banded mail and carries a longsword. Her shield, which lies on the ground where moments ago she lay sleeping bears the arms of the County of Cerwyn. She has no other equipment.

Message #31
Rotemaster of Heralds,
Fri, 20 Aug 2010 08:41:16 GMT

Go to the "Way to Newvines" Thread :)

This message was last edited by the GM at 09:42, Fri 20 Aug.
CAMPAIGN INDEX: Other References Back to Master Index

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Return to “Pelinore”