[Pelinore.org] [Dol] A Night at the Crossroads Inn

"The World of Pelinore is flat - everyone knows that…"
Post Reply
User avatar
Havard
Dragon Turtle
Posts: 21399
Joined: Thu May 22, 2008 7:32 pm
Gender: male
Location: Norway
Contact:

[Pelinore.org] [Dol] A Night at the Crossroads Inn

Post by Havard »

The Duchy of Lygol Campaign - A Night at the Crossroads Inn
The Crossroads Inn, Hyrpum

The day of Preas-ir-Khan in the Second Week of Harvest, the year 330 Cerwyn Reckoning





Message #1
Re: The Giant's Tooth by Ben Scristos (GM)
Rotemaster of Heralds,
Sat, 21 Aug 2010 19:00:44 GMT
-----------------------------------------------------------
Dramalorn, Bauvin, Brinn and Weasel enjoy each other's company for the rest of the evening. Bauvin regales the rest of the party with tales of his training under Sir Ewan d'Erebia; the hunts, the jousting, the feasts, the seemingly endless cleaning of stables, polishing of armour and playing washerwoman to the demanding knight. In their turn, Brinn and Weasel reveal many of Dramalorn's most embarrasing escapades as the only roustabout elf in the town.

In the morning, while Bauvin (having had the good sense to abstain from excessive ale and wine) is fresh and ready to go, Dramalorn is slightly hungover. Bauvin saddles his horse and prepares for the journey, while Dramalorn sits with his head between his knees. Brinn and Weasel have given Dramalorn a good send off.

The journey northward is swifter than expected and the pair make it to Hyrpum shortly after sundown. The road is near deserted, the occasional peasant or lone wagon being the only company they encounter.

On a clear night, with the stars looking down on them, Bauvin and Dramalorn eventually find themselves outside Hyrpum's the Crossroads Inn.

Go to "The Road to Borth" thread




Message #2
The Road to Borth by Ben Scristos (GM)
Rotemaster of Heralds,
Sat, 21 Aug 2010 15:13:34 GMT
-----------------------------------------------------------
The Crossroads Inn gets its name owing to Hyrpum's location on the two most heavily used roads on the West side of the River Lygol. Despite the war, destitution, famine, pestilence and plague that has affected the County in recent times, the Inn is busy on this night. It would seem as if the travellers and residents of Hyrpum are living tonight as if it were their last night alive.

The Innkeeper looks harassed as his potboys to and fro across the main lounge, carrying flasks of wine, tankards of ale and flagons of cider. The patrons cavort in various states of dress and undress, there seems to be only a few who aren't enjoying the nights festivities.

[Private to Ved: now would be a good time to make an entrance in your guise as Jek Strongarm. The "Character Details" are ready for you if you would care to select a portrait and complete the character description.]

This message was last edited by the GM at 20:18, Sat 21 Aug.



Message #3
Re: The Road to Borth by Dramalorn
wood elf F/MU, unwise, unwise
Sat, 21 Aug 2010 19:18:02 GMT
-----------------------------------------------------------
While the morning had been somewhat rough, and far from the first time that had been the case, Brinn and Weasel had played their roles to the full, and would be missed. In any case, Dramalorn had become more comfortable as they day had gone on. In fact, a swig or two from the flask of expensive liqueur he had taken as a parting gift from his parents had rather warmed his heart, and he was in a rather fine mood by evening. It had been some time since last he had visited Hyrpum, but it was a fine town, and entertainment was in good supply, as he recalled.

Of course, there was a certain mission to attend, so perhaps it was time to turn over a new leaf. Squire Bauvin might have plans here, or the Crossroads Inn might have something up it's sleeve, but perhaps it was better to simply venture inside, and see what came their way. Leaf turning could always wait for the morrow.

"Shall we? A nice meal and a good drink would make for an excellent evening."





Message #4
Re: The Road to Borth by Squire Bauvin
Chevalier errant, AC4 HP7
Sat, 21 Aug 2010 19:22:42 GMT
-----------------------------------------------------------
"A splendid idea, indeed," exclaims Bauvin, as he finds a table for himself and Dramalorn at the far side of the room and beckons one of the potboys. After a few moments, the potboy delivers a tray of food and drink to the pair.

This message was last edited by the GM at 20:24, Sat 21 Aug.





Message #5
Re: The Road to Borth by Jek Strongarm
Sun, 22 Aug 2010 01:47:12 GMT
-----------------------------------------------------------
Jek steps into the smokey tavern from the cool night air, lets his eyes adjust for a brief moment with a huge smile on his face. Once adapted to the lamp lit interior he scans the room looking for a place to sit... his eyes giving a long stare to any buxom wenches his eyes rest upon, then makes his way to the empty seat he spied.



Message #6
Re: The Road to Borth by Ben Scristos (GM)
Rotemaster of Heralds,
Sun, 22 Aug 2010 19:05:55 GMT
-----------------------------------------------------------
After a half hour, the lounge of the Crossroads Inn is packed to the rafters with cavorting townsfolk and travellers. There isn't a seat to be had, and those who are standing are doing so elbow to elbow. The only free space is a small, low stage in the corner of the room. At the back of the stage is a curtain that screens off another adjoining room. The lights in the room dim, by some magical effect no doubt, and the assembled crowd quitens down. The stage is illuminated by several globes set into its floor, again, obviously a magical effect.

From behind the curtain steps a man, dressed in the harlequin costume of a jester, the cloth patterned with yellow and red diamonds. The man wears a mask with two aspects, one half recalls a visage of laughter and the other one of profound sorrow. The jester then proceeds to direct a series of sketches by a troupe of artists, contortionists, strongmen, prestigidators, jugglers and fire eaters. The crowd are silent except for during the intervals when an uproar of applause and cheering breaks out.

As the evening draws on, the acts become more and more spectacular. The revelry in the crowd grows to boiling point as the jester and his troupe whip the spectators into a frenzy. The scene is a stark contrast to everything you have seen and experienced in the County in recent times. The degradation of the County seems long forgotten in this room tonight; the war, the plague, the poverty and the famine seem naught but a distant memory. What is the power that this travelling troupe of entertainers has over the people?

The Jester closes the evening with a spectacular monologue that laments the downfall of this once magnificant county. The recent successes in the campaign against the Barony of Kalos have come at a price to the people of Cerwyn; the County's wealth is exhausted, the fields lie fallow, the livestock is untended, as many of the sons of Cerwyn have fallen in fields to the East. Those who remained have fallen prey to bandits, plague and hunger. Even now the desperate Count, who after subjugating Kalos to the East and Bereduth to the South has declared himself "Duke of Lygol", is threatening a further war against the City League.

The Jester's monologue moves all in the room to tears, as cries of assent echo to his every word. When he has every person on the room eating out of his hand, the Jester makes a plea, a call, for heroes to rise up and save the County from the tyranny of Duke Flavus Barnabus the Usurper. He points to few people in the room as he makes this call: to Dramalorn, to Squire Bauvin and to Jek Strongarm.

He points at you all and stares at you, knowingly.


This message was last edited by the GM at 20:46, Sun 22 Aug.



Message #7
Re: The Road to Borth by Squire Bauvin
Chevalier errant, AC4 HP7
Sun, 22 Aug 2010 20:18:06 GMT
-----------------------------------------------------------
Squire Bauvin stares at the stranger (Jek Strongarm) with curiosity.

[Private to Dramalorn: "Who do you suppose this man is?"]



Message #8
Re: The Road to Borth by Dramalorn
wood elf F/MU, unwise, unwise
Sun, 22 Aug 2010 22:21:22 GMT
-----------------------------------------------------------
[Private to Squire Bauvin: "Looks like an outdoorsman, and a skilled one at that - a ranger, I'd say. Could be here for any reason".]

Dramalorn watched the troupe of entertainers with a jaded indifference, though in truth he did admire their skills - he was just comfortable showing disinterest in most things, the better to keep others guessing. But the food was decent and the drinks were good, and there were worse ways to pass an evening...if it was hard to spot any fine ladies when the room was this packed. Ultimately it was merely a matter of sitting back and relaxing, and enjoying the show, though it did rather stir up the locals. The end though did shake him out of his calm demeanour, when the jester pointed right at him (and the Squire and the ranger/stranger).

"That fellow appears to know something we do not..."


This message was last edited by the GM at 19:06, Mon 23 Aug.



Message #9
Re: The Road to Borth by Jek Strongarm
Mon, 23 Aug 2010 15:09:46 GMT
-----------------------------------------------------------
After ordering some food Jek digs into his food purposefully, almost forcibly, as if he hasn't eaten for weeks. It seems he doesn't even realize the jester was gesturing towards him. He just keeps shoveling in the food, and washing it down with goat's milk.


This message was last edited by the player at 18:32, Mon 23 Aug.



Message #10
Re: The Road to Borth by Squire Bauvin
Chevalier errant, AC4 HP7
Mon, 23 Aug 2010 18:09:45 GMT
-----------------------------------------------------------
"Truly, he enjoys his food. Not even the sweating, flatulant dwarf who stands next to him can assuage his appetite."



Message #11
Re: The Road to Borth by Ben Scristos (GM)
Rotemaster of Heralds,
Mon, 23 Aug 2010 18:47:23 GMT
-----------------------------------------------------------
OOC: time for a cliché...

The dwarf, dressed in a tartan plaid, sweats profusely as if from a fever. Turning to Jek, it is apparent he is quite unwell, a large green bubble grows out of his left nostril, pulsating as he breathes in and out. His breath is hoarse, rattling even.

"Whit're yoo lookin' at?" he growls at Jek, then sneezes loudly, spraying a large amount of nose gravy all over Jek's plate of chicken nuggets.



Message #12
Re: The Road to Borth by Jek Strongarm
Mon, 23 Aug 2010 18:59:09 GMT
-----------------------------------------------------------
"I wasn't looking at anything if I recall, just eating some food and then wanting to get some rest. I have a busy day on the morrow." He moves the plate to the dwarf, "I think I ate enough for the evening, you are more than welcome to finish the rest if you like. I think it is time for me to turn in anyway." Jek stands up and looks for the innkeeper to try and get a room, smile still remaining on his face.




This message was last edited by the player at 19:59, Mon 23 Aug.





Message #13
Re: The Road to Borth by Ben Scristos (GM)
Rotemaster of Heralds,
Mon, 23 Aug 2010 19:26:09 GMT
-----------------------------------------------------------
The dwarf, whose name is Auchter judging by the shouts of his colleagues on the other side of the room, turns from Jek as he mutters under his breath, "check oot Mister Fancypants grumble grumble (aaaatchooo) mutter (sniff)...ah only winted tae show him me spider...."

Jek finds the Landlord and enquires about the possibility of a room. The landlord shakes his head and says "sorry, we're full, but you're welcome to sleep in this lounge. Watch yer valuables though, these are troubled times as ye've just heard."





Message #14
Re: The Road to Borth by Dramalorn
wood elf F/MU, unwise, unwise
Mon, 23 Aug 2010 19:43:12 GMT
-----------------------------------------------------------
Ye Gods.

Dramalorn had never met that dwarf in person, but he had heard the tales of Black Auchter many moons ago, though he never expected to actually see the kilt-wearing shorty in the flesh. Still, he had reason to be thankful for two things ~ one, that he was not named 'White Flight the Gay Blade', like some elves were; and two, that he had finished his food some distance away from the dwarf. Still, the night was yet young, so he would keep his wits about him...

Comment from GM: priceless, just priceless.






This message was last edited by the GM at 21:23, Mon 23 Aug.













Message #15
Re: The Road to Borth by Jek Strongarm
Mon, 23 Aug 2010 19:44:14 GMT
-----------------------------------------------------------
Stands and thinks a moment as the evenings revelry continues around him... not really thrilled to sleep in an open room amongst strangers, in these times. Since he could use some rest from his hike,Jek starts to look for an average looking lass that might have a room here, or reside in the village.














Message #16
Re: The Road to Borth by Ben Scristos (GM)
Rotemaster of Heralds,
Mon, 23 Aug 2010 19:58:49 GMT
-----------------------------------------------------------
Jek finds, upon closer scrutiny, that most of the patrons in this room suffer from the same fever as the dwarf. The (ahem) ladies seem to be either fully engaged in negotiable affection or just too grim to even contemplate.

To add to the difficulty, many recognise Jek as one of those pointed out by the Jester. As if marked by some kind of invisible curse, the patrons tend to shun and ignore him. A fate shared by Squire Bauvin and Dramalorn.

As the evening passes into night and the night passes into the early morning hours, the room becomes quieter as the patrons either depart or fall asleep where they are. When all is nearly still, Jek, Dramalorn and Squire Bauvin too are almost nodding in their cups, when the curtain behind the stage pulls back and a handsome man pokes his head out. He looks at the three adventurers and coughs quietly, beckoning them behind the curtain.











Message #17
Re: The Road to Borth by Jek Strongarm
Mon, 23 Aug 2010 20:08:51 GMT
-----------------------------------------------------------
Considering the strongest thing Jek has drunk all night was goat's milk, he slept with one eye open in this place... After the man coughs, he stands and stretches, still tired from an unrestful sleep... after double checking to see if everything he is carrying is still there, he picks his way across the common room to show interest to the man behind the curtain.

















Message #18
Re: The Road to Borth by Dramalorn
wood elf F/MU, unwise, unwise
Tue, 24 Aug 2010 13:29:40 GMT
-----------------------------------------------------------
'Sleeping with one's eyes open,' is what the huamns tended to call it, but to elves it was the reverie, a dreamlike state where they remembered times past and yet rested for the day ahead. In truth, elves could also sleep with their eyes shut, but Dramalorn hadn't quite reached that stage of the night yet, and he was very much in the former state. And so it was that his eyes blinked once, and then came quickly into focus, before he turned and looked to the man on the stage, newly emerged from behind the curtain.

He was a rather smart-looking fellow, for a human, and again he indicated to Dramalorn, Bauvin and the ranger that they should join him. Well, something is definitely up, mused the elf to himself. He prodded the Squire with his elbow, and nodded stagewards.

"Looks like our presence is required."

He rose and followed the ranger to the stage.
















Message #19
Re: The Road to Borth by Squire Bauvin
Chevalier errant, AC4 HP7
Tue, 24 Aug 2010 14:26:43 GMT
-----------------------------------------------------------
Exhausted from several days travel from the Royal Court of Korrath at Corratical, Squire Bauvin was looking forward to some well earned rest. Sadly it was not to be found at the Crossroads Inn and he had to content himself with trying to sleep, both eyes firmly screwed shut, slouched over a table that reeked of stale beer and spilled gravy.

Having been nudged into a state of semi-awareness by Dramalorn, the Squire lifts his head. His normally immaculate blond locks moulded into the shape of the table by an ill placed spillage of some mysterious liquid that he would rather not name, Bauvin yawns and follows Dramalorn to the stage.
















Message #20
Re: The Road to Borth by Ben Scristos (GM)
Rotemaster of Heralds,
Wed, 25 Aug 2010 21:49:36 GMT
-----------------------------------------------------------
Behind the curtain is a large room, with no doors or exits. The walls are lined with hangings and tapestries. The performers are lying asleep in various poses around the room. The handsome man beckons you inside the room and sits on a large cushion, inviting you wordlessly to do the same.

"Forgive my melodrama of this evening, I did not intend to alarm you by pointing you out to the crowd. I saw from your attire that you gentlemen are of adventuring persuasion and that is the reason I pointed you out."

"My name is Ben Scristos, formerly Rotemaster of Heralds but in these troubled times I found myself unable to retain neutrality and observe the County that I so dearly love and call home fall into decline, its people suffering while its master does nothing but serve his own ambition."

"So I left my position as Herald in the court of the Duke and joined this troupe of travelling entertainers, hoping to spread word of the depradations of the Duke and his lieutenants. It is not a business without risk, the Duke persecutes and hounds me. Thus my guise as a masked jester, all the better to evade his agents"

"I identified you as people who might be able to help me in my cause. We performed in Borth about a week ago, but I underestimated the loyalty that the people of that town still have towards the Duke and his lieutenant in that town. We were forced to leave Borth in a hurry and I left something of value behind. If you are willing, I would gladly reward you if you could recover it for me."












Message #21
Re: The Road to Borth by Jek Strongarm
Thur, 26 Aug 2010 02:33:57 GMT
-----------------------------------------------------------
"Being a humble woodsman, I wasn't planning on heading to Borth anytime soon. I just came into town to trade some furs. Then spend some of that money on a few fine women in this town, before I head out to trap some more. It seems everyone is in a wiggle about this war or some such, since I have never seen 'the crossroads' so packed."

Thinks for a moment and rubs his 5 o'clock shadow... then sighs heavily, "What kind of thing did you leave behind?"




This message was last edited by the player at 03:35, Thu 26 Aug.

















Message #22
Re: The Road to Borth by Dramalorn
wood elf F/MU, unwise, unwise
Thur, 26 Aug 2010 16:00:57 GMT
-----------------------------------------------------------
Listening to the jester's tale Dramalorn finds it rather authentic, and quite interesting - a man of principle this fellow, without doubt. And seeing as they had planned to head to Borth anyway...

"I am sure you can count on myself and my friend here, if the terms are correct," said the elf, indicating Bauvin. "But yes, our outdoorsman here raises a good point - if we are to return this valuable item to you, we need to know the answer to several queries: one, what it is; two, where we might find it; three, just how well the people of Borth may be protecting it; and four, what you will give us for it's return. Once you have provided the answer to these, perhaps we may enter into discussions."








This message was last edited by the player at 17:01, Thu 26 Aug.














Message #23
Re: The Road to Borth by Squire Bauvin
Chevalier errant, AC4 HP7
Thur, 26 Aug 2010 19:26:08 GMT
-----------------------------------------------------------
The mention of the Duke's influence over Borth piques Bauvin's curiosity. Bauvin's liege and mentor, Sir Ewan d'Erebia, was once Baronet of that town before his title was stripped by the 'Duke' and it is to Borth that Bauvin hopes to take up the quest to find his lost patron.

"I don't really care for reward, good friend, but if I can assist you and at the same time restore the rightful Baronet of Borth to his title then I shall consider that reward enough."














Message #24
Re: The Road to Borth by Ben Scristos (GM)
Rotemaster of Heralds,
Thur, 26 Aug 2010 19:55:19 GMT
-----------------------------------------------------------
Ben Scristos acknowledges your replies and turns to Dramalorn with a smile on his face.

"To answer your first question, the object I miss is a book. It is quite large, about the same size as a wizard's spell book, that contains the records and observations that I made while at the Duke's court. While the contents of the book are not so much missed, I have them in my head, it is written in the secret language of the Heralds. If it were to fall into the wrong hands and the language deciphered, then the secret work of the Heralds could be compromised and that would not be desirable."

"To your second, there are several locations where it could be. I spent some time at the Weighed Anchor, so the Innkeep might have it. Otherwise, it could either be with the Duke's garrison in Borth, or with a wizard called Karthedon who dwells in a beacon tower on the shore about two miles north of Borth. Karthedon is an ally and can be trusted."

"Thirdly, I cannot say that the people of Borth are aware of the book. But have a care, they do not take kindly to criticism of the Duke's regime, depite the deep suffering that they have had to deal with. I feel their sorrow is greater than any other town in this realm."

"Finally, you will of course have my gratitude and that of friends in high places. Furthermore, if that is not enough, I can offer a monetary reward. Shall we say 50 gold pieces each?"














Message #25
Re: The Road to Borth by Dramalorn
wood elf F/MU, unwise, unwise
Thur, 26 Aug 2010 20:12:36 GMT
-----------------------------------------------------------
In truth, Dramalorn could easily pass up the opportunity to gain 50gp ~ it was akin to too much hard work, and was a trifling sum that he could blow in a good weekend, quite easily (and had done so in the past). But it sounded...interesting, and his curiosity was piqued, and Bauvin was certainly interested, and that would suffice.

"We have an accord, sir. How may we contact this wizard, Karthedon? Is there a means by which we may identify ourselves, in a manner he will recognise?"














Message #26
Re: The Road to Borth by Ben Scristos (GM)
Rotemaster of Heralds,
Thur, 26 Aug 2010 20:20:00 GMT
-----------------------------------------------------------
"Karthedon dwells in a beacon tower called Enon-Tor, maybe two miles or so north from the town on the coast. He is something of a recluse, something to do with the townsfolk objecting to his use of zombies for labour. I find it quite distasteful myself and couldn'timagine one of my relatives winding up in service to him."

He smiles at you, wanly.

"As for identifying yourself to him: as I said, he is an ally, so I will give you a letter of introduction. The Innkeep here can provide you with a cart to take you to Borth, I will pay for that. If you recover the book, send word to me here, I will send a trusted messenger to collect it and forward your payment."













Message #27
Re: The Road to Borth by Jek Strongarm
Thur, 26 Aug 2010 20:28:51 GMT
-----------------------------------------------------------
You aren't sure if Jek looks relieved or disheartened by this news of his trip to Borth. But he does appear from body language (steps closer as Ben makes his pitch), in the trip to Borth and meeting Karthedon.
















Message #28
Re: The Road to Borth by Ben Scristos (GM)
Rotemaster of Heralds,
Thur, 26 Aug 2010 21:05:50 GMT
-----------------------------------------------------------
Ben Scristos appears satisfied. "So, Gentlemen, you are welcome to spend the remainder of the night with us in this room. You will find the company quite amenable and secure. We shall see what the morrow brings."




Message #29
Re: The Road to Borth by Ben Scristos (GM)
Rotemaster of Heralds,
Sat, 28 Aug 2010 11:36:33 GMT
-----------------------------------------------------------
OOC: Gents... I am waiting for a player in another thread to post before we continue. Apologies for the inconvenience.
CAMPAIGN INDEX: Other References Back to Master Index

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Post Reply

Return to “Pelinore”