Elven burial customs

"The World of Pelinore is flat - everyone knows that…"
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Elven burial customs

Post by Big Mac » Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:22 pm

PelinoreRevived page on Facebook, put up a story called "Groovy idea for elven burial customs" that linked to a real-world story called "Bye-Bye Coffins! These Organic Burial Pods Will Turn You Into A Tree When You Die":
Bye-Bye Coffins! These Organic Burial Pods Will Turn You Into A Tree When You Die

This unconventional way of being buried might just be the future. This unique burial method originated in Italy and is titled The Capsula Mundi project created by designers Anna Citelli and Raoul Bretzel. The designers created an organic, biodegradable burial capsule that actually transforms the body of the deceased into a tree. As this occurs, the body would turn into nutrients for the tree that would allow it to grow.

It basically works like this… first the body is encapsulated in a fetal position and then buried, and either a tree seed or an actual tree is planted above the capsule. You would even pick the type of tree you want to become, just as you would get to choose your very own coffin for a normal funeral.

The pods are made from a starch plastic which does not prevent the natural decomposition of the capsule and allows the organic matter to transform into minerals, that will provide the earth with nutrients for vegetative organisms. Essentially, these pods will transform cemeteries into forests.

This is actually still a concept since Italian law prohibits this sort of burial – but if it does proceed, there would be an entire memorial park of trees rather than tombstones. You would then be able to visit and care for the tree of your loved one. There are actually places in the US and in England where this type of burial is legal… we’ll just have to wait and see if this catches on in other places around the world.

Your loved ones would then be able to take care of your tree.
This does sound interesting.

And if one of more of the races of elves on Pelinore used this burial method, it would mean that they would have a sacred forest, instead of a graveyard, and it would mean that every single-tree in the burial forest would be formed from the remains of a dead elf. That could give you a tribe of elves who are much more unwilling to allow other races to chop down trees.

With fantasy, there could even be some sort of legendary tie-in to dryads and or treants, with the elves believing that elves can be reincarnated as sentient trees or tree-people.

Perhaps this would be more appropriate for wild elves. :)

The only thing missing, is a suggestion for where on Pelinore, elves who plant sacred forests could live. :?

Should all elves on Pelinore live like this, or should it be an "old fashioned" way of living, that some more "civilised" elves have turned their back on?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Re: Elven burial customs

Post by Havard » Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:48 pm

Bizarre idea. :)

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Tue Apr 12, 2016 5:54 pm

Havard wrote:Bizarre idea. :)
Very strange, but I could see a nature-loving culture doing something like this.

This might also tie into a mythological (or real) process for creating treants or dryads.
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.

Zeromaru X
Scion of Arkhosia

Post by Zeromaru X » Fri Apr 15, 2016 4:59 am

This sound like the dragon age Dalish elves custom...

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:21 pm

Zeromaru X wrote:This sound like the dragon age Dalish elves custom...
I'm not familiar with Dragon Age. Could you give me more details. :)

Return to “Pelinore”