Incorporating Elsir Vale into Nentir Vale

The civilized world has been reduced to a series of points of light in a great wilderness of danger and monsters.
The Book-House: Find Nentir Vale products.

Re: Incorporating Elsir Vale into Nentir Vale

Postby Havard » Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:53 pm

Zeromaru X wrote:The Scales of War adventure path starts in the Elsir Vale, that was part of the Nerath empire, and then you can explore the rest of the Nerath world and outer planes.

This is true. On the other hand it also seems that:
1. There is no official placement of the Elsir Vale in the Nerath Setting (map).
2. The Elsir Vale debuted in Red Hand of Doom which predates 4E and the Nentir Vale/Nerath Setting.
3. The map of the Elsir Vale is actually a copy of the Shar region from the Forgotten Realms:

(Click to enlarge)

To me it seems that the Elsir Vale falls into the same category as the Keep on the Borderlands, Tomb of Horrors, The Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth, White Plume Mountain etc: That is, while they exist in the Nentir Vale/Nerath Setting, they do not belong exclusively to the Nentir Vale Setting.

When this thread was started, Knightfall asked if the Elsir Vale could be incorporated into the Nentir Vale Setting and I think this should be fairly easy given that there is already a precedence for this in the Scales of War Adventure Path as you point out. :)

-Havard

The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Zeromaru X » Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:19 am

Havard wrote:
Zeromaru X wrote:The Scales of War adventure path starts in the Elsir Vale, that was part of the Nerath empire, and then you can explore the rest of the Nerath world and outer planes.

This is true. On the other hand it also seems that:
1. There is no official placement of the Elsir Vale in the Nerath Setting (map).

Well, according to the adventure "Alliance at Nefelus" (published in Dungeon Magazine 165 and part of the Scales of War series), the Elsir Vale lies somewhere to the south of the Nentir Vale. But you have a point with your other arguments.
Zeromaru X
Stone Giant

Postby Havard » Tue Aug 09, 2016 1:47 pm

Zeromaru X wrote:Well, according to the adventure "Alliance at Nefelus" (published in Dungeon Magazine 165 and part of the Scales of War series), the Elsir Vale lies somewhere to the south of the Nentir Vale. But you have a point with your other arguments.

Yeah, for the record I am not against incorporating the Elsir Vale into the Nentir Vale, especially as there is already a presedence for that. :)

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Big Mac » Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:30 pm

I think we are actually getting off of Knighfall's topic (working out how to incorporate Elsir Vale into Nentir Vale) by bringing in the question of if the two settings are actually the same setting.

I think there is enough evidence that Elsir Vale has been retconned into Nentir Vale and Nerath's past to pull all Elsir Vale topics into the Nentir Vale forum (and give them "[Elsir Vale]" forum tags. The fact that Nentir Vale didn't exist when Elsir Vale is not something I see invalidating the ability to retcon it in, as other D&D areas have been retconned into settings later*.

* = Early D&D adventures have been retconned into Mystara and/or Greyhawk...or both. Kara-Tur has been retconed into Forgotten Realms. Greyhawk, Dragonlance and Forgotten Realms have been retconned into both Spelljammer and Planescape.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Big Mac » Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:46 pm

Lets move this discussion to The Kippin' Griffin: Elsir Vale topics to be moved to Nentir Vale forum as this is forum business and not an actual discussion of Elsir Vale and Nentir Vale.
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Havard » Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:33 pm

Let's get back to the original topic then.

Where would you place the Elsir Vale on the Nerath Map?

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Zeromaru X » Mon Sep 05, 2016 10:14 pm

Red Hand of Doom's map (3e) has this place named the Golden Plains, in the eastern portion of the map. So, taking this location and the tower of Thiradith stuff, that seems to be located in the mountains of the northern frontier of Nerath (meaning someplace between Sarthel, the Barony of Therund, and the Trollhaunt Barrens), I guess we can pinpoint the Golden Plains (and the Elsir Vale) west to the Golden Savannah in the Nera region. You can check the Nerath map for reference.

It could be easy to connect the Giantshield mountains and the Marth Forest in the Red Hand of Doom's map with the mountains north to Nera city, and the forest to the south of the city, depicted in Nerath's map. In fact, we can also place the tower of Thiradith in those mountains as well.
Zeromaru X
Stone Giant

Postby Havard » Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:28 am

Zeromaru X wrote:Red Hand of Doom's map (3e) has this place named the Golden Plains, in the eastern portion of the map. So, taking this location and the tower of Thiradith stuff, that seems to be located in the mountains of the northern frontier of Nerath (meaning someplace between Sarthel, the Barony of Therund, and the Trollhaunt Barrens), I guess we can pinpoint the Golden Plains (and the Elsir Vale) west to the Golden Savannah in the Nera region. You can check the Nerath map for reference.

It could be easy to connect the Giantshield mountains and the Marth Forest in the Red Hand of Doom's map with the mountains north to Nera city, and the forest to the south of the city, depicted in Nerath's map. In fact, we can also place the tower of Thiradith in those mountains as well.

Thanks!
I agree, that makes alot of sense to place it there. It is almost surprising that they didn't use the term Golden Plains instead of Savannah.

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby solabusca » Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:27 am

Oddly enough, I took the time to try and create a map for my own group. I used a slice of the Conquest of Nerath map as a base layer, added the Nentir Vale map to it to establish scale, and then resized my Elsir Vale map to the same scale and tried to insert it in the Golden Savannah region.

It ... looks like the map was designed to work with it.

Seriously, the mountains to the north and south of the Golden Savannah fit PERFECTLY into the map of the Elsir Vale; the Golden Plains and the Golden Savannah also seem to match up perfectly. Hell, even the Marth Forest fits perfectly.

I'm pretty damned happy about it.

Alternate version without hexes, for those that would like it
solabusca
Goblin

Postby Zeromaru X » Fri Nov 04, 2016 3:29 pm

Thanks for sharing this map. Can I use it in a future Gazetteer about the lands beyond Nentir Vale?
Zeromaru X
Stone Giant

Postby solabusca » Fri Nov 04, 2016 7:37 pm

Absolutely! For the record, the hexes on the first map are standard 24 mile hexes.
solabusca
Goblin

Postby Tim Baker » Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:30 pm

solabusca wrote:Oddly enough, I took the time to try and create a map for my own group. I used a slice of the Conquest of Nerath map as a base layer, added the Nentir Vale map to it to establish scale, and then resized my Elsir Vale map to the same scale and tried to insert it in the Golden Savannah region.

Very nice.
Image My Google+ RPG-related posts. | Image Escalation! fanzine for 13th Age.
Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Postby Big Mac » Tue May 02, 2017 11:40 am

solabusca wrote:Oddly enough, I took the time to try and create a map for my own group. I used a slice of the Conquest of Nerath map as a base layer, added the Nentir Vale map to it to establish scale, and then resized my Elsir Vale map to the same scale and tried to insert it in the Golden Savannah region.

Seriously, the mountains to the north and south of the Golden Savannah fit PERFECTLY into the map of the Elsir Vale; the Golden Plains and the Golden Savannah also seem to match up perfectly. Hell, even the Marth Forest fits perfectly.

I'm pretty damned happy about it.

Alternate version without hexes, for those that would like it

Those are awesome maps.

I remember a time - a few years back - when I could cast a "Summon Dave L" spell to a topic like this, and he would come along, like a map making pixie and build a new hex map overnight (and repair some shoes in his spare time ;) ).

I don't think he has time to do that any more, but I might ping him and show him your work, as I think he will enjoy your craftsmanship. :)
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby solabusca » Sun May 14, 2017 8:15 pm

I truly hope Dave L is successfully summoned!

.j.
solabusca
Goblin

Previous

Return to Nentir Vale