"Heroes of the Vale" interview with Mike Mearls

The civilized world has been reduced to a series of points of light in a great wilderness of danger and monsters.
The Book-House: Find Nentir Vale products.
Tim Baker
Axe Beak

"Heroes of the Vale" interview with Mike Mearls

Post by Tim Baker » Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:43 pm

Here's an interview with Mike Mearls about the upcoming "Heroes of the Vale" actual play. It's a 5e game that takes place in the Nentir Vale.

Image My Google+ RPG-related posts. | Image Escalation! fanzine for 13th Age.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: "Heroes of the Vale" interview with Mike Mearls

Post by Big Mac » Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:27 pm

It's interesting that Mike Mearls is rebooting the Nentir Vale campaign setting, for this game.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Zeromaru X
Scion of Arkhosia

Post by Zeromaru X » Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:20 pm

And he did just what I feared. Now, all the new players from 5e would think this is how the Nentir Vale actually is...

I hope they will open it for DM's Guild.

sam
Gnoll

Post by sam » Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:12 pm

So, we will see the Nentir Vale Campaign Setting in 2019?

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:54 am

Zeromaru X wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:20 pm
And he did just what I feared. Now, all the new players from 5e would think this is how the Nentir Vale actually is...

I hope they will open it for DM's Guild.
What changes felt most wrong to you Zeromaru? The take on the deities being Immortals made me think he had really wanted to run Mystara instead?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Zeromaru X
Scion of Arkhosia

Post by Zeromaru X » Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:50 pm

Yeah, the take on the deities. Something I don't like about Planescape is that gods are either ascended mortals or beings created by belief. Why gods cannot start just as gods from the beginning?

I don't mind the take on the environment, as that is something that is hinted in the 4e materials as well.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker » Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:08 am

Havard wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:54 am
What changes felt most wrong to you Zeromaru? The take on the deities being Immortals made me think he had really wanted to run Mystara instead?
This definitely felt more like Mystara than Nentir Vale. I'm still interested in seeing what he does with the setting, but it did strike me as an unusual decision.

Zeromaru X
Scion of Arkhosia

Post by Zeromaru X » Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:51 pm

I guess he chose Nentir Vale because he wanted to use his amped PoL approach (that I have to say I like the idea) that is not so Mystara-like.

I always liked the fact the other planes are "bleeding" withing the Nentir Vale's world. I've used Torog pulling stuff into the Underdark (it's even a stapple in the backstory of the setting—like, those cities in Bael Turath), but I never tought of returning that stuff to the surface. So, I'm going to steal that idea.

But I also like the Nentir Vale's mythology. It's even more organized than FR's mythology and it's something that I like about Nentir Vale. I don't trust Mearl's take on the gods since what they did to the Raven Queen in the Foam of Toes.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker » Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:38 am

Zeromaru X wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:51 pm
But I also like the Nentir Vale's mythology. It's even more organized than FR's mythology and it's something that I like about Nentir Vale. I don't trust Mearl's take on the gods since what they did to the Raven Queen in the Foam of Toes.
If we were to get a Nentir Vale setting book, the good news is that it's likely pretty easy to take the parts that we like and ignore the parts we don't. The challenge might be in setting expectations with other players if they become familiar with the updated version of the setting. It would be similar to running a game in the Forgotten Realms, but a version from a prior edition (or even a mish-mash from several editions).

Zeromaru X
Scion of Arkhosia

Post by Zeromaru X » Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:43 pm

Well, is quite more difficult than that. Forgotten Realms' lore, even if has some conflicting stuff, follows a linear evolution. While, what Mearls is doing here is a full retcon. So, it will be very confusing using stuff from both sources (pre and post retcon).

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker » Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:27 am

Zeromaru X wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:43 pm
Well, is quite more difficult than that. Forgotten Realms' lore, even if has some conflicting stuff, follows a linear evolution. While, what Mearls is doing here is a full retcon. So, it will be very confusing using stuff from both sources (pre and post retcon).
I hadn't considered that. You're right. I guess we'll have to wait to see how extreme the changes are, and whether or not it becomes popular enough to ultimately matter.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:41 am

I could be wrong, but I suspect that this is more than business strategy from Wotc. The people currently employed there have very little understanding or affection for the D&D settings. They are interested In rules and other aspect of the game. They will tease settings because they know some fans will respond to that, but they don't understand the settings well enough to ever give us something satisfactory. If that is to happen, they need to hire new staff.

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker » Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:07 pm

Havard wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:41 am
I could be wrong, but I suspect that this is more than business strategy from Wotc. The people currently employed there have very little understanding or affection for the D&D settings. They are interested In rules and other aspect of the game. They will tease settings because they know some fans will respond to that, but they don't understand the settings well enough to ever give us something satisfactory. If that is to happen, they need to hire new staff.
Do you have a prediction of what, if anything, this livestream will lead to? Do you foresee any additional products released? Opening the DM's Guild to the setting? I realize this is all speculation, but sometimes it's fun to take a guess.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:15 pm

Tim Baker wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:07 pm
Do you have a prediction of what, if anything, this livestream will lead to? Do you foresee any additional products released? Opening the DM's Guild to the setting? I realize this is all speculation, but sometimes it's fun to take a guess.
As you say, it is pretty hard to predict. It depends on how successful it will be. I think they will want to release a product tied to it, but it could be Nentir Vale based or something more rules oriented that he will test out in the stream.

What do you think?

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker » Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:10 am

Havard wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:15 pm
As you say, it is pretty hard to predict. It depends on how successful it will be. I think they will want to release a product tied to it, but it could be Nentir Vale based or something more rules oriented that he will test out in the stream.

What do you think?
If this were streamed on the D&D Twitch channel, I'd probably guess that a Nentir Vale product was in the works. But since it's on the D&D Beyond channel, which licenses D&D but isn't affiliated with WotC, I'm going to take a wild guess that there will be Nentir Vale-related content added to the D&D Beyond database, similar to the Critical Role content that's available.

Return to “Nentir Vale”