Heroes of the Vale Episode 2

The civilized world has been reduced to a series of points of light in a great wilderness of danger and monsters.
The Book-House: Find Nentir Vale products.
Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Heroes of the Vale Episode 2

Post by Tim Baker » Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:26 am

Episode 2 of Heroes of the Vale was just released on YouTube. The session takes place in Kiris Dahn. Here's a quick synopsis (don't read further if you want to avoid spoilers).

The town is in ruin and is populated by strange, humanoid creatures that are nearly invisible. They act out the roles of townfolk, finding identity in the jobs they perform. When exposed to their reflections, the creatures shriek and attack – they want to continue the charade of being townfolk, and can't bear to be exposed to the truth. When struck with radiant energy, they're revealed to be white-skinned, mannequin-like creatures with no eyes, mouths filled with fangs, and long claws.

The ranger, Fla'apper, casts a spell and determines that there are traces of beings exposed to the Shadowfell in the town. It's never confirmed that the creatures populating the town are the source of the Shadowfell incursion.

Avren, the warlock, masquerades as a king, tossing illusory gold in hopes of drawing Ruin out – Ruin having been said to destroy everything of value. It works, and the party is attacked by a creature that appears to be a beggar but turns out to be a powerful being. The session ends in the middle of combat.

We learn the class of the remaining characters, in this episode.
  • Keen Dayapreth, an eladrin fighter (eldritch knight)
  • Penelope "Half-Pint", a halfling druid (circle of the land)
  • Briv Steelmarrow, a half-orc fighter (cavalier)
  • Orkira Illdrex, a dragonborn cleric of Pelor (light domain)
  • Avren, a human warlock (hexblade)
  • Fla'apper, an aarakocra ranger (beast master)
Image My Google+ RPG-related posts. | Image Escalation! fanzine for 13th Age.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Re: Heroes of the Vale Episode 2

Post by Tim Baker » Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:27 am

Update: there are informational cards that are displayed on the screen during the episode. One shows that Fla'apper is a beast master. However, the party's character sheets are now available on D&D Beyond, and Fla'apper appears to be a gloom stalker.

Zeromaru X
Scion of Arkhosia

Post by Zeromaru X » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:49 pm

So, they fully retconned Kiris Dahn indeed. I wonder if I have to begin to document 5e version of the Vale in a separate threat (as it's pretty obvious Mearls is not using 4e version).

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker » Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:50 am

Zeromaru X wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:49 pm
So, they fully retconned Kiris Dahn indeed. I wonder if I have to begin to document 5e version of the Vale in a separate threat (as it's pretty obvious Mearls is not using 4e version).
That's not a bad idea. I'd suggest that you only do it if it's of interest to you, though. Don't do it out of a sense of obligation. If these changes aren't interesting to you, then you'll likely burn yourself out and leave the project only partially complete. I'd rather see you continue to work on something you're passionate about than have your work fall by the wayside.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:17 am

Tim Baker wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:27 am
Update: there are informational cards that are displayed on the screen during the episode. One shows that Fla'apper is a beast master. However, the party's character sheets are now available on D&D Beyond, and Fla'apper appears to be a gloom stalker.
Is this free? Or are D&D Beyond selling these to help finance the show?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Zeromaru X
Scion of Arkhosia

Post by Zeromaru X » Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:09 am

Tim Baker wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:50 am
Zeromaru X wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:49 pm
That's not a bad idea. I'd suggest that you only do it if it's of interest to you, though. Don't do it out of a sense of obligation. If these changes aren't interesting to you, then you'll likely burn yourself out and leave the project only partially complete. I'd rather see you continue to work on something you're passionate about than have your work fall by the wayside.
Oh, I'm interested.I don' t have problems with the additions to the lore (ie. everything that adds instead of change), I'd like to have them documented.

My problem is that I don't like the changes. They want to turn the Vale into a traditional D&D, and the Vale is more like Dark Sun in that it have unique traits that makes it different to other settings (for instance, in the Vale that stuff of common and uncommon races doesn't apply).

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker » Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:53 am

Big Mac wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:17 am
Tim Baker wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:27 am
Is this free? Or are D&D Beyond selling these to help finance the show?
They're digital cards that appear on-screen during the episode. I'm not sure what else to call them. "Cards" is the closest I can think of. They're small, rectangular summaries for the characters.

Return to “Nentir Vale”