Reavers of Harkenwold

The civilized world has been reduced to a series of points of light in a great wilderness of danger and monsters.
The Book-House: Find Nentir Vale products.
Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Re: Reavers of Harkenwold

Post by Tim Baker » Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:37 pm

capnskillet7 wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:51 pm
Thanks for the information! This will be very helpful as I prepare content for a 5e version of these adventures. I would love to see that .txt file and the order you ran things. Right now I am trying to decide how often to level them up. I want them to reach level 5 at the end of Reavers of Harkenwold, but that is with adding in a few extra things along the way.
To clarify, the campaign I ran for my kids didn't include Reavers. I was noting that Marty's approach to using milestone leveling in 4e was the same approach I used. Sorry for any confusion.

RagingOwlbear
Goblin

Post by RagingOwlbear » Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:48 pm

Tim Baker wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:50 am
Does this mean the PC doesn't have access to their powers during mass combat? So if a wizard is embedded in a unit, they can't cast fireball against the opposing force while battle is zoomed out?
Correct. My party didn't have a heavy-hitting AoE class, so it was less of a consideration for me. However, the idea is that you include those kinds of special effects in the "Hero Power" that you give them with the units they lead. All of the hero powers were developed with their class in mind.

The Rogue got the sneak attack / hit and run powers. The Seeker got "Arcane Arrows". The Avenger got the defender powers... So one could create an hero power like the Sneak Attack but for a Wizard instead (automatic hit, bonus damage, etc). Perhaps a Wizard leader would get two hero powers to represent the AoE capabilities they bring to the combat.

The idea was to keep it abstract as possible while still giving them some class flavor within the mass combat special abilities.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker » Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:35 pm

RagingOwlbear wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:48 pm
[T]he idea is that you include those kinds of special effects in the "Hero Power" that you give them with the units they lead. All of the hero powers were developed with their class in mind.

The Rogue got the sneak attack / hit and run powers. The Seeker got "Arcane Arrows". The Avenger got the defender powers... So one could create an hero power like the Sneak Attack but for a Wizard instead (automatic hit, bonus damage, etc). Perhaps a Wizard leader would get two hero powers to represent the AoE capabilities they bring to the combat.

The idea was to keep it abstract as possible while still giving them some class flavor within the mass combat special abilities.
Ah, I see. I wasn't connecting the hero powers to a particular PC and class, but with the unit. That makes sense to make them independent of one another, so that power reflects what the hero can do. Maybe they could even synergize if you really wanted to go crazy, but it would increase complexity.

Zeromaru X
Scion of Arkhosia

Post by Zeromaru X » Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:25 pm

Interesting ideas. Thanks for sharing!

RagingOwlbear
Goblin

Post by RagingOwlbear » Tue May 07, 2019 3:49 pm

Not long ago, I also posted a "Best of Dungeon" article that included most of the adventures I had run in my Harkenwold campaign.
http://ragingowlbear.blogspot.com/2018/ ... nd-4e.html

The suggestions that JoeNotCharles puts forth are excellent. I also tied Stick in the Mud to the Toadwallow bullywugs. I used it to foreshadow the Tor's Hold conflict.

I think I may have used "A Chance Encounter" (#174) as a way to encounter Iron Circle "secret agents" (instead of crazy cultists). This can be combined with "Death in the Pincers" (#172). Whatever artifact the Iron Circle is carrying in the wagon can be the macguffin that the giant ants want.

I also listed all the Chaos Scar adventures here for reference:
http://ragingowlbear.blogspot.com/2018/ ... nd-4e.html

Return to “Nentir Vale”