Does Avernus appear in the World Axis?

The civilized world has been reduced to a series of points of light in a great wilderness of danger and monsters.
The Book-House: Find Nentir Vale products.
Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Does Avernus appear in the World Axis?

Post by Tim Baker » Thu May 30, 2019 6:58 am

Does Avernus appear in the World Axis cosmology that the Nentir Vale setting uses? I know that the hells are part of the World Axis, but I don't recall coming across the names of the hells in the 4e products.

vpuigdoller
Kobold

Re: Does Avernus appear in the World Axis?

Post by vpuigdoller » Thu May 30, 2019 2:24 pm

It has a section on page 68 of The Plane Above: Secrets of the Astral Sea and on page 99 of Manual of The Planes.

Zeromaru X
Scion of Arkhosia

Post by Zeromaru X » Thu May 30, 2019 5:24 pm

Yes. Avernus is part of the World Axis cosmology. I don't remember if Zariel exist a power in this universe, though.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker » Fri May 31, 2019 1:46 am

Thank you both for the quick replies. My question was actually tied to the Heroes of the Vale actual play from D&D Beyond. Spoilers below, if you're curious why I asked.

In last week's episode, the party traveled to Avernus. I've been keeping an eye out for points in the storyline where it may return to the Nentir Vale, and wasn't sure if this was a further departure or if it was possibly bringing things back to the Vale. Since Avernus is at least in the World Axis cosmology, perhaps we'll see them return to Nerath. It still remains to be seen.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Fri May 31, 2019 10:39 am

vpuigdoller wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 2:24 pm
It has a section on page 68 of The Plane Above: Secrets of the Astral Sea and on page 99 of Manual of The Planes.
Awesome answer (book name and page is really useful), Vpuigdoller.

BTW: Welcome to The Piazza. You might want to pop over to the Introduce Yourself Here topic, and tell people a bit about yourself, and the sort of campaign settings and rules you like to talk about most.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Fri May 31, 2019 10:57 am

Tim Baker wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 1:46 am
Thank you both for the quick replies. My question was actually tied to the Heroes of the Vale actual play from D&D Beyond. Spoilers below, if you're curious why I asked.

In last week's episode, the party traveled to Avernus. I've been keeping an eye out for points in the storyline where it may return to the Nentir Vale, and wasn't sure if this was a further departure or if it was possibly bringing things back to the Vale. Since Avernus is at least in the World Axis cosmology, perhaps we'll see them return to Nerath. It still remains to be seen.
That doesn't surprise me in the slightest.

The game was started by Mike Mearls and hosted on D&D Beyond. I figured it was an attempt to copy what Maze Arcana did for Eberron (back before Eberron was supported by 5e rules).

If they tie their storylines into the latest D&D products, they can push sales of things on the D&D Beyond storefront. I would expect them to use the ship rules from Ghosts of Saltmarsh at some point. There is that gigantic inland sea or lake in Nentir Vale, that has an island in the middle. I'm not sure how long the hype for Baldur's Gate: Descent into Avernus is going to continue, but with D&D Beyond taking preorders for the book, it makes economic sense to showcase how the content of the book can work outside the Realms.

The thing that did surprise me was Mike Mearls's early departure. I thought he might have been working towards a 5th Edition Nentir Vale release on D&D Beyond. They already put up some 5th Edition Nentir Vale content and could have put up an Avernus page after the show returned to the Material Plane.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker » Sat Jun 01, 2019 4:07 am

Big Mac wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 10:57 am
it makes economic sense to showcase how the content of the book can work outside the Realms.
Good point. They already showed the infernal motorcycles and the use of soul coins in Avernus.
Big Mac wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 10:57 am
The thing that did surprise me was Mike Mearls's early departure. I thought he might have been working towards a 5th Edition Nentir Vale release on D&D Beyond. They already put up some 5th Edition Nentir Vale content and could have put up an Avernus page after the show returned to the Material Plane.
Agreed. I'm still curious what happened there. When the series was being planned, surely no one had intended for Mike Mearls to run a couple episodes and then leave.

vpuigdoller
Kobold

Post by vpuigdoller » Sun Jun 09, 2019 3:13 am

Big Mac wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 10:39 am
vpuigdoller wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 2:24 pm
Awesome answer (book name and page is really useful), Vpuigdoller.

BTW: Welcome to The Piazza. You might want to pop over to the Introduce Yourself Here topic, and tell people a bit about yourself, and the sort of campaign settings and rules you like to talk about most.
The book and page is a habit as an academic.. now that you point it out its kind of weird, LoL.

Thanks for the welcome! And sorry for late reply.

Return to “Nentir Vale”