Wildemount Book uses 4e Pantheon?

The civilized world has been reduced to a series of points of light in a great wilderness of danger and monsters.
The Book-House: Find Nentir Vale products.
DMSamuel
Hobgoblin

Wildemount Book uses 4e Pantheon?

Post by DMSamuel »

Since Wildemount is published by WotC it makes it canon, yes? Technically speaking, I mean.

And since Wildemount uses the same patheon as the 4e Dawn War pantheon, does that mean that Wildemount is tethered to the Nentir Vale?

I know that the Tal'Dorei book also used the 4e gods, with alternate names (e.g. The Matron of Ravens instead of "The Raven Queen") but it wasn't published by WotC, so I didn't pay attention to it. Since Wildemount is a WotC book...

So, do any of you Nentir Vale enthusiasts plan on getting the Wildemount book and using it?
-- DMSamuel --

RPGMusings.com

@DMSamuel

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Re: Wildemount Book uses 4e Pantheon?

Post by Havard »

DMSamuel wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:11 pm
Since Wildemount is published by WotC it makes it canon, yes? Technically speaking, I mean.

And since Wildemount uses the same patheon as the 4e Dawn War pantheon, does that mean that Wildemount is tethered to the Nentir Vale?

I know that the Tal'Dorei book also used the 4e gods, with alternate names (e.g. The Matron of Ravens instead of "The Raven Queen") but it wasn't published by WotC, so I didn't pay attention to it. Since Wildemount is a WotC book...

So, do any of you Nentir Vale enthusiasts plan on getting the Wildemount book and using it?
Oooh, interesting theory there!

Does the book reveal any new information about any of the Dawn War pantheon Gods or does the Critical Role series?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Post by ripvanwormer »

DMSamuel wrote:

Well, characters and situations from it were already referenced in the Baldur's Gate Avernus adventure, so it's arguably Forgotten Realms canon.

I don't think so, they're separate settings. Nentir Vale already shared certain gods with Greyhawk and the Realms.

Zeromaru X
Scion of Arkhosia

Post by Zeromaru X »

DMSamuel wrote:
Well, Matt used some elements of the PoL setting for the world building of his campaign, that started in the 4e era. Some of those elements included the gods, and part of the mythology. But I dunno if the Nentir Vale exist in his world.

It can, tho, given the portability of the Vale.
DMSamuel wrote:
I plan to get it as soon as I'm able. It's the only 5e book I really want to get, lol
Havard wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:33 pm
Does the book reveal any new information about any of the Dawn War pantheon Gods or does the Critical Role series?

-Havard
Somehow. Besides the new goddess, Raie (a WotC version of Sarenrae, from the Pathfinder gods), it seems Matt wrote an alternative version of the Dawn War that ends with a schism among the gods (hence, good gods and evil gods).

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker »

DMSamuel wrote:
since Wildemount uses the same patheon as the 4e Dawn War pantheon, does that mean that Wildemount is tethered to the Nentir Vale?
While I wouldn't call it canonical, the Heroes of the Vale actual play from D&D Beyond has a cleric of Pelor as one of its PCs. The series begins in the Nentir Vale, so this is the Dawn War Pelor from Nerath/4e. She later changes her dedication to a different deity.

In the most recent episodes of the series, the party has traveled to Wildemount via some planar shenanigans. There, she encounters a temple to Pelor. She's familiar with the burial rituals that Pelor's followers adhere to, and says prayers to Pelor. It seems that this is the same Pelor, at least within this D&D Beyond campaign (which isn't part of WotC).
Last edited by Tim Baker on Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker »

DMSamuel wrote:
I bought the book, and am likely to get use out of it, even if it's merely the expansion of my group's PC options (e.g., there are new races and sub-races, sub-classes, spells, and the heroic chronicle sub-system).

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker »

DMSamuel wrote:
Speaking of the Raven Queen, I thought it would be interesting to look up her entry in the book. I was curious to see if it sounded more like 4e's lore or like the significantly different lore found in Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes.
Explorer's Guide to Wildemount wrote: Master of the skein of fate and the mistress of winter, the Raven Queen is the god of death. Her gaze follows and marks the end of each mortal life, watching over the border between life and death and ensuring the natural transition is undefiled. Many funerals ask her blessing to protect the deceased from the terrible curse of undeath. Those who study ancient lore believe that the Matron of Death was once mortal herself and is the only known mortal to have ascended to godhood. Her rise instantly obliterated the previous, now-forgotten god of death, and the other gods quickly and fearfully destroyed the secrets to the rites of ascension.

The Raven Queen tugs at the threads of fate from her stronghold of black ice within the frozen realm of Letherna, nestled in a frigid corner of the Shadowfell.

Few existing visual depictions of the Raven Queen exist; many temples merely use the raven as a symbol of her blessing. The few illustrations of her portray a tall, pale woman wrapped in dangling black linens, with her face obscured by a white porcelain mask and her onyx-black hair straight and neverending.
Note that this entry never says she was an elf. It isn't very extensive, but it aligns better with 4e's Dawn War pantheon than with the info found in Modenkainen's.

Zeromaru X
Scion of Arkhosia

Post by Zeromaru X »

Tim Baker wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:09 am
Note that this entry never says she was an elf. It isn't very extensive, but it aligns better with 4e's Dawn War pantheon than with the info found in Modenkainen's.
I hate to say this, but heck yeah, this sounds like the Raven Queen, unlike that crap they came up with in Mordenkainen's...

And I hate to say it cuz now I sound like those Forgotten Realms grodnards that dislike anything post-4e... :lol:

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac »

DMSamuel wrote:
I suppose that, at the very least, a 5e version of the Dawn War pantheon would be usable in a Nentir Vale game.

Maybe Nentir Vale fans could put Wildemount on the far side of the world. They might need to reboot it a bit.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac »

Zeromaru X wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:58 pm
And I hate to say it cuz now I sound like those Forgotten Realms grodnards that dislike anything post-4e... :lol:
Welcome to the Old School Nentir Vale Club. :P
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Icarus
Troll

Post by Icarus »

DMSamuel wrote:
Since Wildemount is published by WotC it makes it canon, yes?
I would say it makes it canon ... in that world.
DMSamuel wrote:
I would say Gods have manifestations in various worlds.
There's not a solitary version of Pelor, Nerull, or whomever that's a single entity.
Pelor in Nentir Vale is different than he is in Greyhawk.
As is Torm in the Forgotten Realms.
... just like Lolth appears in various worlds, so to do the other gods.
"And he did fly,... and he was seen on the wings of the wind."
My online Gallery of Artwork. Take a look at my illustrations!

Return to “Nentir Vale”