The Piazza

Old D&D Campaign Worlds
It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:16 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 5:52 pm 
Giant Space Hamster

Someone called Myrhdraak has spent five years creating a new background for three of the series of 4th Edition adventures that introduces a growing threat from Orcus that ties all the adventures together. :cool:

Here is the briefing from the first post in an epic 92 page thread about the Orcus campaign:

Myrhdraak at the Homebrew Campaigns forum at WotC wrote:
Looking at the 4th Edition adventure series H1 Keep on the Shadowfell, H2 Thunderspire Labyrinths, and H3 Pyramid of Shadows – there is very little in the plotline that really ties these adventures together into a full story. When I read the Keep on the Shadowfell I had hoped that Wizards of the Coast would tie this story together around a growing threat from the Demon Lord Orcus (appearing in H1) trying to spread undeath from the new cool Shadowfell plane defined in 4th Edition. Lot of expectation had been built up around demons, demon lords and the Shadowfell in the Worlds and Monsters publication previously. Sadly my hopes was not fulfilled when I read the Thunderspire Labyrinth and then later the Pyramid of Shadow. I therefore decided to try to bridge this gap myself, with a conversion guide, doing some changes in the story, background and some of the encounters and images, in order to create an atmosphere foreboding the return of the undead legions of Orcus. I started with trying to tie together the story more tightly. You can see my first go at it in the following link.

H1 Keep on the Shadowfell, H2 Thunderspire Labyrinth, H3 Pyramid of Shadows, P1 King of the Trollhaunt Warrens, P2 Demon Queen's Enclave, P3 Assault on Nightwyrm Fortress and E1 Death's Reach have already been converted. E2 Kingdom of the Ghouls and E3 Prince of Undeath have not been converted yet. Here are the massive conversion documents created so far:

DEMON PRINCE OF UNDEATH CONVERSION:

WotC have already dropped support for Nentir Vale. It looks like WotC's support for 4th Edition will also run out before this project finishes. But this is such a well made project that I hope that it gets finished and continues to be available for 4th Edition and Nentir Vale fans.

Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 7:17 pm 
Dragon Turtle

Cool!

But this isn't really conversion in terms of turning it into a different edition, right?

-Havard

The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 8:58 pm 
Giant Space Hamster

Havard wrote:
Cool!

But this isn't really conversion in terms of turning it into a different edition, right?

Right. It is a type of conversion I don't think I've seen before. It is a conversion from a series of unconnected events into a focused adventure path.

Read the blurb in the front of the PDFs (or the 92 pages of posts in the thread I linked to) for more details of what the project goal is.

Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:15 pm 
Orc

Not only that, he completely overhauled almost every combat encounter so it's more challenging. I had downloaded and used those files back when he had only done H1–H3. It's great to see his work went on. That amount of passion brings a tear to my eye.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:17 am 
Giant Space Hamster

cimmeria wrote:
Not only that, he completely overhauled almost every combat encounter so it's more challenging.

I didn't realise he had altered every combat encounter to do that. I thought they were changed to bring in the Orcus theme (when it wasn't there). That is better than I thought it was.

cimmeria wrote:
That amount of passion brings a tear to my eye.

It certainly is an impressive project. :cool:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:56 pm 
Fire Giant

That is a lot of work!